Owners approve change to PAT rule

dallen

Senior Tech
If there's a hold, I'm sure it's going for 2 from the 12.
Ooh, ok. That makes more sense. I was thinking it seemed like a get out of jail free card for an offensive penalty

D

Deuce

Ooh, ok. That makes more sense. I was thinking it seemed like a get out of jail free card for an offensive penalty
Ya, that would be a loophole exploited way too often. If there's a penalty, it has to apply to whatever play you pick next.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If there's a hold, I'm sure it's going for 2 from the 12.
Yeah, that's my understanding as well. I can't imagine they would let you get 10 free yards back.

data

Forbes #1
Stupid change. WGAS if they were virtually automatic? I don't want to see a game, let alone a playoff game or even the Super Bowl decided due to some botched XP because it's now from the 15. Just play the game and stop screwing around with it.
I'm with this as far as a kick ruining the balance.

If anything, I'd rather just a touchdown be worth 7 pts automatically and, if you choose to, a real play would be a 1 point addition or subtraction. Eliminate the kick entirely.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So much intrigue! I think more casual fans will now tune in to watch!!!!!
This is exactly right. I think this just makes the rules for the casual fan that much more confusing. It comes off like kids in a back yard just making up random rules as they go. That's why I don't like it.

Cotton

Staff member
New extra-point rule creates intriguing opportunity for a fake

Posted by Mike Florio on May 20, 2015, 3:23 PM EDT

The element of surprise continues to be one of the more fascinating aspects of football. On the surface, the new extra point rule reduces the element of surprise.

Ultimately, it could enhance it.

With the two-point conversion play starting at the two and the one-point try now nudged to the 15, a team can choose to fake the kick and attempt to take the ball to the end zone. And that would result in two points for the offense.

So why would anyone choose not to take a crack at two points from the two but try to score two points from placekick formation on a play starting at the 15? Well, because no one is going to expect that.

The question now becomes whether someone will actually do it. At some point during the upcoming 256 regular-season games and 11 postseason games, it’s hard to think no one will.

I just don't see a team attempting a fake from the 15. If so, I would bet it very rarely happens.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

The element of surprise continues to be one of the more fascinating aspects of football. On the surface, the new extra point rule reduces the element of surprise.

With the two-point conversion play starting at the two and the one-point try now nudged to the 15, a team can choose to fake the kick and attempt to take the ball to the end zone. And that would result in two points for the offense.

So why would anyone choose not to take a crack at two points from the two but try to score two points from placekick formation on a play starting at the 15? Well, because no one is going to expect that.

The question now becomes whether someone will actually do it. At some point during the upcoming 256 regular-season games and 11 postseason games, it’s hard to think no one will.

I just don't see a team attempting a fake from the 15. If so, I would bet it very rarely happens.
People don't fake it now. Why the hell would they fake it from the 15. In both cases you have all the elements of surprise you need.

data

Forbes #1

This is probably the stupidest fucking thing I've read, notwithstanding Iamtdg posts.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I'm with this as far as a kick ruining the balance.

If anything, I'd rather just a touchdown be worth 7 pts automatically and, if you choose to, a real play would be a 1 point addition or subtraction. Eliminate the kick entirely.
That'd make as much sense if not more. Make it a reward/risk for running a conversion play.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
It makes the kicker a little more relevant. But frankly, the EXPs are so automatic, you might as well just not have them at all.

Was I in a rush to get it changed? No, I am a traditionalist, but I get why.
I don't think it's a huge deal, just am tired of seeing Goodell and the league constantly tinkering with something that isn't broke.

Cotton

Staff member
Teams can change mind on extra point after penalty

Posted by Mike Florio on May 20, 2015, 11:18 PM EDT

The new rule regarding the single-point PAT is simple, but it has a few interesting complexities — especially when a penalty happens.

In the event of a penalty, the team that has scored a touchdown can change its mind about whether to go for one or two.

For example, if the team that has scored a touchdown opts to go for two but is called for holding, the team can then go for two from the 12, or go for one. The only catch is that the 10-yard penalty also would apply to the try for one point, pushing the line of scrimmage to the 25 and making the kick 42 yards. Still, a 42-yard kick for one would make more sense than a 12-yard gain for two.

The same concept applies in the event of a defensive penalty. If the team that has scored goes for one and the defense jumps offside, the team can then go for two, with the penalty enforced from the two.

It adds another potential layer of strategy for coaches, requiring them to revisit the decision they’ve already made based on whether the snap will now be closer or farther back.

dallen

Senior Tech
Dan Bailey curious as to why PAT needed to change

IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys place-kicker Dan Bailey is not upset the NFL moved the distance for an extra point from the 2-yard line to the 15-yard line.

The most accurate kicker in NFL history will attempt it from wherever they want it, but he is curious as to why the rule needed to be changed at all.

"I think there was talk that they wanted to add, quote, 'skill,' to the kick," Bailey said. "As somebody that does this as my job, it requires the same skill to kick an extra point from where it was to where it's going to be. The skill set is the same. It requires you to be accurate in both acts. Now it'll be a little more distance, but by saying we're trying to add skill to the kick is almost saying we didn't possess that before, which I don't agree. Ask around the league -- everybody is going to approach each kick the same way. A 50-yarder is just as hard as a 33-yarder to an extra point. You can't take mental breaks on any kicks because then you'll be out of a job."

Since 2010, kickers have converted better than 99 percent of the extra points leaguewide. Bailey has never missed an extra point (179-of-179). The NFL thought the extra point had become a dead play over the years and wanted to liven up the point after with the rule change.

If the kickers are too proficient from 33 yards -- the usual distance of a field goal from the 15-yard line -- the rule could change again next year.

"What are we trying to accomplish out of this?" Bailey said. "What will be an acceptable percentage for extra points? Right now it's pretty much we make 100 percent, but now we back it up. OK, is 95 percent an acceptable baseline? Ninety-three percent? I can see this adding more value to our position if you're above whatever we set the baseline as during the course of the year."

Bailey wonders if kickers are being punished to a degree because they are too good at their jobs. Kicking percentages from all distances are higher than in previous eras.

If the extra point was too automatic, then why not look at other plays? According to ESPN Stats & Information, there were 13,137 snaps from under center in 2014. Only 22 snaps were aborted and only seven resulted in a turnover. Using that percentage, should the snap from under center be changed?

"What does everybody talk about when a quarterback goes 18-of-20 or 24-of-26? They praise how accurate they are and how well he managed the game and how they fought through weather issues," Bailey said. "There's always something, but it's always a positive evaluation. It seems like in this case our percentage is very high across the league and everybody is locked in to do what we need to do and put the work in to perform on Sunday, and it's looked at as a negative. It's hard to understand the thought process behind it."

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4742564/dan-bailey-curious-why-pat-needed-to-change

Cotton

Staff member

When did they start placing the ball 8 yards back? Did it not used to be 7? Or is Spags full of shit?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

When did they start placing the ball 8 yards back? Did it not used to be 7? Or is Spags full of shit?
No one of the guys on the radio the other day mentioned that it's 8 yards now.

Top Bottom