Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
The competition thing is way overblown. Romo made it and so did Flacco.

Only half of playing QB in the NFL is about physical traits. He has all the traits that you could want.

Now, the key is you run him through the mental piece, first hand, in Mobile. If he proves he can handle it, you take his ass at #4.

I think if we dont take him there is about 5 or so teams in the first round that will. hes not going 2nd round

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like I've said, fitting the ball into a tight window is fitting a ball into a tight window regardless of competition. You may have to adjust to the speed of things when you move to higher levels of competition but it's not like Wentz is just sitting their throwing to wide open guys.

If he looks great at the Senior Bowl I agree. You may just have to take him at 4. You don't mess around when you see a QB you think will be a franchise guy.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I think if we dont take him there is about 5 or so teams in the first round that will. hes not going 2nd round
True. 49ers, Saints, Eagles, Rams all in the top 15 are all interested in a QB. Also the Texans and possibly Broncos later in the first. No way Wentz lasts til the 2nd round.

The best scenario for us is if the Browns aren't sold on Goff/Lynch at #2 and all the QB's are still on the board when we pick and we can trade down to a a team that wants Goff or Lynch (ideally the 49ers at #7 or Saints at #12). That'd leave either Goff/Lynch and Wentz still on the board. Even moving to #12 ahead of the Eagles and Rams would be risky because one of them could just leap frog us if they wanted Wentz bad enough.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Only half of playing QB in the NFL is about physical traits. He has all the traits that you could want.

Now, the key is you run him through the mental piece, first hand, in Mobile. If he proves he can handle it, you take his ass at #4.
Yep he is either capable or he isn't. It didn't matter about rating systems when it comes to QBs. If he fits the ticket you take him. If not you pass.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
2016 NFL Draft: NDSU QB Carson Wentz proves he's first-round worthy

By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

January 9, 2016 3:58 pm ET

FRISCO, Texas -- When evaluating quarterbacks, an important part of the scouting process is studying the passer in person. How does the ball come off his hand? How does he look physically? How does he respond to the environment?

So when I heard that North Dakota State senior quarterback Carson Wentz was healthy enough to play in the FCS National Championship Game on Saturday, I took advantage and saw the intriguing NFL prospect with my own eyes.

And he didn't disappoint.

North Dakota State defeated Jacksonville State, 37-10, to win its fifth straight FCS National Title and Wentz was very impressive in his return to the field. He finished 16-for-29 (55.2-percent) for 197 yards, two interceptions and three total touchdowns (one passing, two rushing), adding 79 yards rushing. The Bison used the ground game and physical defense to control the time of possession, but Wentz was also efficient throwing the football.

Entering the game, I expected rust from Wentz after he missed the second half of the season due to a broken wrist and hadn't seen game action since mid-October. But that wasn't the case as he looked extremely sharp and showed off several NFL traits, throwing with anticipation, timing and touch.

Wentz has a strong arm with the desired velocity for the next level and he needed it on Saturday as the wind was whipping around Toyota Stadium in Frisco. He has above average size (looks a legitimate six-foot-five) with impressive athleticism for his stature, using his legs on quarterback draws and scramble plays, including an 11-yard touchdown run in the second quarter.

North Dakota State runs a wide-open offensive attack with several pro-style looks, requiring Wentz to take most of his snaps from under center. He displayed a full menu of throws: rolling to his left, rolling to his right, using touch and trajectory over different levels of the defense, delivering before receivers were out of their breaks, and adding zip to fire strikes before defenders could react.

Wentz had a pre-snap plan and moved efficiently in his reads to find his target and make sound decisions. It was also encouraging to see his interactions with his teammates when the cameras weren't on him, coaching up his receivers and commanding the huddle.

It wasn't a perfect afternoon as Wentz was inconsistent with his deep ball accuracy, which resulted in a few incompletions. His placement was slightly off on a few out throws and he pre-determined several passes, which led to a pair of interceptions. But the positives far out-weighed the negatives on this afternoon as Wentz showed why he's included in my first round mock draft.

The next stop for Wentz is Mobile, Ala., where he will be one of the main attractions at the 2016 Senior Bowl. And with Michigan State's Connor Cook doubtful to attend, Wentz will be the clear-cut top passing prospect at the event. He has a NFL-style skill-set with his size, athleticism and arm talent, but his intelligence and intangibles on and off the field might be his best qualities.

The Dallas Cowboys' coaching staff will likely be coaching Wentz on the North squad during the week at the Senior Bowl, giving Jason Garrett and his staff an advantage.

Wentz is a first-round prospect in the 2016 NFL Draft. How high will he be drafted in round one? That's not a question anyone can answer in January, but he passed a test on Saturday, leading the Bison to a victory in the FCS National Title Game. And with a strong performance in Mobile, Wentz will only help himself.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Nope. That is the issue we have. I doubt we view QB as that important that we take the guy regardless.

dallen

Senior Tech
Isn't it time NDSU moved up to Division I-A (FBS)? I always like when the small school guys succeed. I wouldn't mind if Wentz ends up in Dallas

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Isn't it time NDSU moved up to Division I-A (FBS)? I always like when the small school guys succeed. I wouldn't mind if Wentz ends up in Dallas
NDSU wouldn't really benefit. They aren't in a big market like UT San Antonio, so they aren't attractive to good mid major conferences who get some TV money. I could see them in the Mountain West, but IMO you can recruit better dominating FCS than being low man on the totem pole in a mid major.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Read an interview with Wentz and the question was what would he buy first with his initial NFL paycheck. His answer "a new gun".

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Observations from Matt Miller:

The Scout's Report

— As NFL teams meet and get ready for Senior Bowl week (January 25-30) in Mobile, Alabama, information about rankings is starting to leak out. For example, I've spoken with seven teams (scouts, coaches or general managers) that have Mackensie Alexander over Vernon Hargreaves and Jalen Ramsey at defensive back.

— More draft board notes: Three teams I spoke with this week have Ohio State free safety Tyvis Powell ranked ahead of teammate Vonn Bell in the secondary. Both are Round 2 players on these boards.

— Clemson wide receiver Mike Williams announced during media day before the national title game that he's been cleared by doctors and will return to the team in 2016. Before fracturing his neck in a Week 1 accident, Williams ranked as my top wide receiver for this class.

— "Go watch him against any good team and tell me how he did. He's overrated." That's what one college scouting director told me this week about Memphis quarterback Paxton Lynch. Games against Ole Miss and Houston would definitely back up this statement.

— Notre Dame linebacker Jaylon Smith underwent knee surgery last week, and according to Sports Illustrated's Brian Hamilton, he's expected to make a full recovery after tearing his ACL and LCL. More on Smith below.

— North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz led the Bison to his second straight FCS title (five straight for the team, two for Wentz as a starter) this season. I reached out to get a feeling on Wentz's draft stock after the game, and one high-level AFC scout told me he's the No. 1 quarterback on their board, even though they don't expect him to be around when they pick late in the first round.

— O.J. Howard dominated the national title game, leading to talk about him as the No. 1 tight end in the nation. Howard's size (6'6", 242 lbs) and speed (estimated 4.49 from scouts) make him appealing, and you can explain away his lack of production due to Nick Saban and Lane Kiffin's run-heavy scheme. And after seeing what he did to Clemson, there's a good chance some team drafts Howard in the first round.

— The other standouts from the title game were Clemson defensive ends Shaq Lawson (No. 90) and Kevin Dodd (No. 98), and both declared for the draft after the game. I've heard Dodd is a Round 2 grade from scouts, but I'm putting both in my top 25.

— Other Clemson underclassmen declaring for the draft are cornerback Mackensie Alexander and safeties T.J. Green and Jayron Kearse. Alexander, who left the game early with a hamstring injury, is the top-ranked corner on my board. Green and Kearse, however, played the entire game and were torched by the Alabama passing attack. Both players are intriguing NFL options, but they'll want to burn the Alabama game film.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Read an interview with Wentz and the question was what would he buy first with his initial NFL paycheck. His answer "a new gun".
Make it happen Jerry :towel

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This has got to happen. He would come into Dallas "guns blazin'"? :unsure

Carp

DCC 4Life
Holy shit...I thought this would be a close game. I enjoy Carroll and Wilson getting it up the butt.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
He's from North Dakota. We don't ask for much.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
— North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz led the Bison to his second straight FCS title (five straight for the team, two for Wentz as a starter) this season. I reached out to get a feeling on Wentz's draft stock after the game, and one high-level AFC scout told me he's the No. 1 quarterback on their board, even though they don't expect him to be around when they pick late in the first round.
I would bet this team is Denver. It's been reported in the papers up here a few different times that the two teams that have had scouts checking in on Wentz all season and have shown the most interest is Denver and Dallas.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I would bet this team is Denver. It's been reported in the papers up here a few different times that the two teams that have had scouts checking in on Wentz all season and have shown the most interest is Denver and Dallas.
Yeah I figured Denver too. The only playoff teams probably looking for a QB are the Broncos and Texans.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Very interesting. Do you have any links?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He's from North Dakota. We don't ask for much.
Yep. If you have a gun then you can get what you need. :art. I like the kid and I think he can be successful in the NFL.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Very interesting. Do you have any links?
No. But I remember seeing it in both the Fargo and Bismarck papers. It's not like it was full blown articles about the NFL teams. Only mentioned that NFL scouts were interested in Wentz, and mentioned the two teams. The first mention was at the beginning of the season, and then I remember it being mentioned while he was rehabbing his wrist. That the teams were still interested, requesting game tape, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom