WTF? Deadly concoction: What is 'Dewshine'?

Jiggyfly

Banned
Deadly concoction: What is 'Dewshine'?

USA TODAY NETWORK Nicole Young, The Tennessean, Nashville 10:46 a.m. EST January 27, 2016

A deadly concoction called "Dewshine," could be to blame for the deaths of two Tennessee teenagers, whose cases are among the first reported in Tennessee, according to health officials.

To date, there have been four cases, all originating from Robertson County, Tenn., involving the possible consumption of "Dewshine" according to the Donna Seger, medical director of the Tennessee Poison Center at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

On Thursday, authorities were called to the Franklin Farms home of 16-year-old Logan Stephenson, who was found dead in his bed.

Within minutes, they were called to a second home, on Cemetery Road, because the boy’s best friend had begun having seizures, Greenbrier Police Chief K.D. Smith said.

Authorities have not released the identity of the second teen.

Here's an explainer on what "Dewshine" is made of, and what can happen to those who drink it.

What is "Dewshine"?

"Dewshine" is a mixture of Mountain Dew and racing fuel.

Racing fuel, used in drag racing, is made up of almost 100% methanol, a non-drinkable form of alcohol used for industrial and automotive purposes, Seger said.

What are the side effects of drinking methanol?

Initially, methanol can give the same effects as ethanol, which is used in the production of alcoholic beverages, but over time, it can result in symptoms ranging from blurred vision, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea to seizures, blindness, coma and death, depending on the amount and concentration of the methanol that was consumed, Seger said.

Methanol is extremely poisonous and as little as two tablespoons can be deadly to a child, according to the National Institutes of Health website.

About two to eight ounces can be deadly for an adult, and the success of treatment is often determined by how much poison a person swallowed and how soon he or she received medical attention, the website said.

Heath workers are not aware of how prevalent Dewshine consumption is among Tennesseans, Seger said.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Racing fuel? Who the fuck would be that stupid?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
More oxygen for me.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I have been into the science of drag racing for years and I have never heard of using 100% methanol. It's too volatile, too hard to stabilize and run without causing detonation. I've heard of ethanol methanol mixes but never straight methanol.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Whew. I thought this was the Dewshine you buy, like the soda. My kids love it.

~hides drag racing fuel in garage~

Top Bottom