Hill - Cowboys’ top five needs in the NFL Draft: Safety first or be on guard?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys’ top five needs in the NFL Draft: Safety first or be on guard?

Posted Saturday, Apr. 20, 2013

By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

chill@star-telegram.com

The Dallas Cowboys pick 18th in the first round of this week’s NFL Draft. They have many needs. Here’s a look at their top five draft needs:

Safety

There is no debate what the Cowboys’ biggest need is. Though you might question whether it’s the best value to pick a safety in the first round, the inexperience and injury history of Barry Church and Matt Johnson make safety a must-get in the draft. Free-agent signee Will Allen is a career backup and a stopgap. Texas safety Kenny Vaccaro would be the pick at 18. LSU’s Eric Reid is a second-round option.

Guard

Guards Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau were disappointments as free-agent signees a year ago. This draft is loaded with top offensive linemen, and the Cowboys could solidify a guard spot for years to come. Alabama’s Chance Warmack or North Carolina’s Jonathan Cooper would be the pick if either is available at 18.

Defensive tackle

The Cowboys believe that Jay Ratliff will be better in the new 4-3 defense. But he is more suited for the three-technique tackle spot in Monte Kiffin’s defense. The Cowboys would like a wide-body to play the Booger McFarland role. Missouri’s Sheldon Richardson could be the pick if the guards and safety are gone at 18.

Running back

DeMarco Murray remains the starter, but it can’t be overlooked that he has missed games in each of his first two years because of injuries. The Cowboys need a runner to help share the load and also start if Murray is not available. Jason Garrett wants a big, physical runner who has a history of getting a lot of carries. Michigan State’s Le’Veon Bell is a favorite.

Tight end

The Cowboys are happy with Jason Witten as a pass catcher. But the lack of a blocking tight end has also contributed to the poor running game, as well as failures by the offensive line. They need a physical presence to help set the edge. Two names to watch at tight end are Rutgers’ D.C. Jefferson and Michigan State’s Dion Sims

CowboyMcCoy

Brand New Member
I have to believe we address the offensive line. I'm skeptical about Warmack and Cooper being available at 18. I firmly believe Vaccaro is overrated. I'm a big fan of Florida's Matt Elam. If Cooper, Warmack and Austin are all gone, I'd be tempted to solidify TE with Eifert so we can run more two TE sets as well as eliminate the need for a fullback. I know some would hate it, but it could add a dimension to our offense. Of course, there are many other options. I'm also a fan of trading back.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Only if Eifert is the most talented player available at 18. I find that hard to believe, but then again I don't know the Cowboys' board.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I can't imagine Eifert being the best player at 18 or anywhere close to it. He's more a borderline 1-2 in my book.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I can't imagine Eifert being the best player at 18 or anywhere close to it. He's more a borderline 1-2 in my book.
I just don't see a special TE to justify a first round pick. He's more like a big receiver. There have been more complete tight ends going much later in the draft in previous years.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
I don't know what makes Eifert appreciably better than Zach "Dick Hertz" Ertz anyway, whom you could get in the 2nd.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It is lucky that our needs will probably coincide with the strength of the first round. But of course, we shouldn't focus on our needs in the draft, as the article implies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If we take Eifert in the 1st I lose it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And this is where taking the best player available goes to shit. I actually think Eifert is a really good TE prospect. If we were a team that needs a TE I would potentially consider him the best player available at 18. It's not really that clear cut though. I think there will be similar quality players at other positions and since TE isn't a need I want nothing to do with Eifert. If he was clear and away the best player available at 18, I'd trade the pick to someone who really needs a TE. There is basically no way in hell I'd take him in the first round as the Cowboys even if he was the best player available.

Cotton

Staff member
Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 38m
“@rekeller3: @BryanBroaddus werner or eifert if they are the bpas at 18?” Interesting. I am going to say the tight end.

GTFO, Broaddus.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
So if ol' Jer drafts Eifert, does he get credit for recognizing a future weakness with Witten getting older and addressing it now?

:tippytoe

Cotton

Staff member
Not using a 1st to do so.. hell no.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I swear to God above if these redneck idiots delude themselves into taking a TE at 18 I'm going to literally kill one of you, I don't know when or how, and it may be years from now, but it is going to happen.

Cotton

Staff member
I swear to God above if these redneck idiots delude themselves into taking a TE at 18 I'm going to literally kill one of you, I don't know when or how, and it may be years from now, but it is going to happen.
Kinda glad now we didn't have beers while I was in DC. I had no idea you were homicidal.

:unsure

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I would like to see this.

Top Bottom