boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys will win NFC East after productive offseason

By Gil Brandt
Senior Analyst
Published: May 22, 2013 at 10:10 a.m.
Updated: May 22, 2013 at 05:02 p.m.

As one of the most polarizing teams in the NFL, the Dallas Cowboys can be tough to pin down. Depending on who you ask, they're either hopelessly overhyped or a talent-packed squad perpetually on the cusp of breaking out. But when the bluster and emotion are stripped away, I believe they have what it takes to be better in 2013 -- to the point that they'll make the playoffs for the first time since 2009.

Now that organized team activities have begun across the NFL, staffs have been filled out and draft picks have been made, I feel comfortable making projections about the 2013 season. And after evaluating what the Cowboys have done this offseason, I've come up with 10 reasons to think Dallas will significantly improve on its 8-8 finish last season. In fact, I expect the Cowboys to finish with the best record in the NFC East.

1) Better defensive coaching

Last season, Dallas' defense was hampered by the random and somewhat ineffective coaching of former coordinator Rob Ryan. This season, the unit will benefit greatly from the more experienced guidance of new coordinator Monte Kiffin and line coach Rod Marinelli.

Kiffin has a long history of success, but one of the most important things he'll bring to the table in Dallas is a familiarity with college offenses. The long-time coaching veteran's most recent career stop before this one was at USC, where he certainly got a taste of both the increasingly popular pistol offense and the hurry-up, no-huddle offense that new Philadelphia Eagles coach Chip Kelly ran at Oregon.

Marinelli is probably as highly thought of as any position coach in the NFL today. Anybody and everybody who has played for him -- whether it came during his time as a position coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the head coach of the Detroit Lions or as a coordinator for the Chicago Bears -- knows that he is one of the few coaches who can get players to play above and beyond their expectations.

2) More help for Tony Romo, part I

Last season, the Cowboys did not have enough offensive weapons to scare opposing defensive coordinators, who could focus on stopping receivers Dez Bryant and Miles Austin and tight end Jason Witten. That should change for Tony Romo and Co. in 2013, thanks to two draft picks with a history of producing at a high level.

In Gavin Escobar, the Cowboys have another pass-catching tight end to run out there with Witten, expanding the matchup strategies available to the Dallas offense. Also, with his size (6-foot-6, 254 pounds), Escobar promises to be a threat in the red zone.

Terrance Williams, meanwhile, can be productive on the outside, which could allow Austin to switch to the slot position. I think Austin is a stronger receiver between the hashes; that is, after all, where he's had most of his NFL success.

3) More help for Tony Romo, part II

Many questioned the Cowboys' decision to draft Wisconsin center Travis Frederick in the first round, but as I said last week, I think that pick will pay off. As a rookie, Frederick will solidify the interior of Dallas' offensive line, which was one of the team's biggest problems last season.

People tend to overlook the importance of the center position, because centers aren't usually drafted at a premium. But it's worth remembering that when Paul Brown -- a guy who was, it must be said, really on top of everything -- had his first college draft with the Cincinnati Bengals, he spent his first pick on a center (Bob Johnson of Tennessee). And I think we've seen over the years how much the center position can matter; just look at what Jeff Saturday did for Peyton Manning throughout his career with the Indianapolis Colts. Frederick is also, as I said last week, very, very smart; I think he'll be the guy who is identifying the defensive plays and making the calls on the line.

4) A steadier offensive line

The offensive line should offer much more stability than it did last year, seeing as how this will be the unit's second season under the direction of coordinator/line coach Bill Callahan. The team no longer needs to learn how to work under Callahan -- who is, by the way, a very good coach. Incidentally, as a former position coach at Wisconsin, Callahan should have a general feel for the type of player the school produces, which should give him a natural understanding of what he'll have in Frederick, a former Badger.

Also, right tackle Doug Free and left tackle Tyron Smith were new to their respective positions in 2012, having swapped places before the start of the season. Now that they've had some time to adjust, I'd expect the two bookends to improve.

The line played better in the latter half of the 2012 season, and I foresee the unit continuing on that trajectory in 2013.

5) "Bedlam" in the backfield

With fifth-round draft pick Joseph Randle in the fold, the Cowboys finally have two legitimate runners/receivers in the backfield. Randle and incumbent starter DeMarco Murray are very much alike in terms of size, running style and ability to catch the football; they're really two peas in a pod.

Murray's production has been limited, because he's had a hard time avoiding injury. In the past, this has caused problems for the offense. If Murray goes down now, Randle can step right in, allowing the Cowboys to keep rolling without adjusting their scheme much. The "Bedlam Backfield," as it might be called (after the Bedlam Series, the name for the rivalry between Murray's Oklahoma Sooners and Randle's Oklahoma State Cowboys) should be a boon to the Cowboys in 2013.

6) Extra prep time

Because they'll be playing in the Hall of Fame Game, the Cowboys will get an extra week of time in training camp, which has the potential to be an important advantage. If you get more time to get ready as a team -- and if you know what you're doing -- you're able to use that to get better.

7) Season starts and ends at home

In 2012, the Cowboys opened and closed the regular-season schedule on the road. This season, they'll get to bookend the schedule with matchups at home, which should be helpful. Yes, the Cowboys did win their 2012 opener on the road, with a thrilling defeat of the defending champion New York Giants. But then, in Week 17, they lost a de facto NFC East title game to the Washington Redskins in FedEx Field. Much better to host the first and last acts of the regular season.

8) They have to be healthier

The Cowboys spent large parts of last season without the services of defensive leader Sean Lee and starters Barry Church and Bruce Carter, while DeMarcus Ware played hurt for most of the year. Usually, teams that suffer through a lot of injuries in one year don't have quite as many the next, which leads me to believe the team is bound to be healthier in 2013. I just can't see Dallas having such bad luck for two straight seasons. (And no, the cyst that will keep Romo from participating in OTAs does not bother me.)

9) A special teams boost

The Cowboys' new special teams coordinator, Rich Bisaccia, is pretty good and comes with plenty of buzz. Plus, Dallas has a fine young kicker in Dan Bailey, who converted 93.5 percent of the field goals he attempted in 2012, tied for second-best in the NFL. That's a necessity in this league, what with how many close games there are.

10) Wisconsin bond

The relationship between a quarterback and his center can be important, and Frederick should have an easy "in" with Romo. The town he grew up in, Sharon, Wis., is just about 50 minutes by car from Romo's hometown of Burlington, Wis. I would expect Romo to take a special interest in his fellow Wisconsinite and help give his career a jump-start.
-----------------------

Wow.

Reason #1

And the kicker...
The "Wisconsin bond"? Really?

Gil needs to be put down. That's bad.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Wow.

Reason #1

And the kicker...
The "Wisconsin bond"? Really?

Gil needs to be put down. That's bad.
Wisconsin bond thing is truly gay. Brandt is definitely homering out there.

The first part's not quite a "wow" rebuttal, though, booze.

Yeah, Kiffen's college defenses were not effective vs the pistol but then again he didn't have the defensive speed sideline to sideline that he'll have in the NFL. Besides, the point was defensive improvement, and it's clear that Kiffen has far more substance behind his experience than Rob Ryan did. It's hard to say where Ryan made a significant difference at any stop in his career over the course of a season. Kiffen has an accomplished coaching tree and several in the league who've patterned defenses based on his model.

I also think the 3-4 defense is very vulnerable to the pistol offense as it puts a lumbering linebacker who should be pass-rushing into the position of deciding between tackling a fast QB or a faster RB. The 4-3 is different as the DE's responsibility is to shoot a gap no matter what while faster linebackers behind him close on the action. That difference ended the season for all three gimmick offenses in Washington, the Seahawks, and 49ers.

Seattle, the best 4-3 defense, put down Washington and San Francisco like sick dogs. They ass-raped the 49ers.

Back to Brandt, he really drops the ball in not analyzing the Cowboys' other weaknesses, like their aging DL and almost completely blank slate at safety. The elephant in the room is the OL is still awful. "Wisconsin" mojo won't suddenly transform Doug Free, Nate Livings, and Mack Bernadeau into competent linemen.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
10) Wisconsin bond

The relationship between a quarterback and his center can be important, and Frederick should have an easy "in" with Romo. The town he grew up in, Sharon, Wis., is just about 50 minutes by car from Romo's hometown of Burlington, Wis. I would expect Romo to take a special interest in his fellow Wisconsinite and help give his career a jump-start.
*Trash*

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, Kiffen's college defenses were not effective vs the pistol but then again he didn't have the defensive speed sideline to sideline that he'll have in the NFL. Besides, the point was defensive improvement, and it's clear that Kiffen has far more substance behind his experience than Rob Ryan did. It's hard to say where Ryan made a significant difference at any stop in his career over the course of a season. Kiffen has an accomplished coaching tree and several in the league who've patterned defenses based on his model.
I get that the defense will be more "sound". It will be a victory not having 12 men on the field constantly and avoid having mass confusion at the drop of a hat. I get that.

But to then add in he has seen Kelly's offense? Whatever. Say what you want about "sideline to sideline" speed and all that other nonsense, you don't get shredded three years in a row like that if your D has a handle on the opponent. Stanford's team speed isn't any worse than USC's and they played them a hell of a lot better.

Kelly's O was basically inside and outside zone reads...that's it. Very simple, but the discipline wasn't there to stop it. It was brutal. So he's going to take a pretty young inexperienced D and make it somehow capable now?

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
A huge advantage for Kelly's offense also was conditioning. They would just wear you down with tempo to the point you were gassed. I can only hope they are in better shape under Marinelli if not Kiffin.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I get that the defense will be more "sound". It will be a victory not having 12 men on the field constantly and avoid having mass confusion at the drop of a hat. I get that.

But to then add in he has seen Kelly's offense? Whatever. Say what you want about "sideline to sideline" speed and all that other nonsense, you don't get shredded three years in a row like that if your D has a handle on the opponent. Stanford's team speed isn't any worse than USC's and they played them a hell of a lot better.

Kelly's O was basically inside and outside zone reads...that's it. Very simple, but the discipline wasn't there to stop it. It was brutal. So he's going to take a pretty young inexperienced D and make it somehow capable now?
I agree Kiffen's "experience" facing the pistol and Kelly is not much to crow about, and he probably blew those games trying to do too much without the talent he needed, much the way Rob Ryan did vs. Philadelphia in 2011.

But I am far more worried about fielding a sound defense that knows how to line up and one that runs a proven effective scheme run by most of the all-time great NFL defenses than I am about stopping gimmick offenses from college that history shows NFL coordinators will tear apart in the next year or so.

Once someone takes away that gimmick (probably by putting QB's who run it into the hospital), you'd better have solid blocking, passing, and running to fall back on.

Top Bottom