Robinson - Sources: Cowboys expected to cut CB Carr; 'Pacman' could be target

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sources: Cowboys expected to cut CB Brandon Carr; 'Pacman' could be Dallas target

Charles Robinson
By Charles Robinson
3 hours ago

Yahoo Sports

Barring a pay cut to provide additional salary cap flexibility, veteran starting cornerback Brandon Carr is expected to be released by the Dallas Cowboys, two league sources told Yahoo Sports. A potential replacement for Carr has also surfaced as an offseason target: impending Cincinnati Bengals free agent Adam Jones.

Carr's cap number for 2016 stands at more than $13.8 million, including $9.1 million in base salary and an additional $4.717 in prorated bonus cash. That number places him among the most expensive cornerbacks in the NFL next season, with his total cap hit at the cornerback spot ranked behind only three players – the New York Jets' Darrelle Revis; the Seattle Seahawks' Richard Sherman and the Carolina Panthers' Josh Norman (who had the franchise tag applied to him on Tuesday).

As it stands, Dallas is roughly $14 million under the $155 million salary cap. While that's not a dire cap situation, the available $14 million doesn't account for space necessary to sign draft picks or prospective free agents. With that in mind, if the Cowboys cut Carr prior to June 1, it would open up another $6.4 million in cap space. If the Cowboys waited until after June 1, it would open up $9.1 million (but that money couldn't be spent until Carr is off the roster)

Long a target of fan frustration, Carr's performance last season arguably didn't live up to the $12.7 million in cap space he required. Team owner Jerry Jones also recently said Carr's salary would be something the team would have to review this offseason.

With Carr's potential departure in mind, a league source identified Adam Jones as a potential replacement. Expected to be a reasonably priced free agent at cornerback, Jones' top end production in Cincinnati may ultimately be overshadowed by a late personal foul call in a playoff loss against the Pittsburgh Steelers in January.

Dallas has familiarity with Jones. He previously spent one season with the Cowboys, a 2008 campaign that was ultimately marred by injury and controversy. Following his stint in Dallas, Jones sat out 2009 after being cut, but eventually revived his career with the Bengals starting in 2010.

Interestingly, Jones and his agent, Peter Schaffer, were at a popular steakhouse in Indianapolis on Friday night during scouting combine week, the same night Cowboys ownership and personnel executives were having a team dinner at the restaurant. Jones and Schaffer were seen briefly exchanging pleasantries with Dallas director of player personnel Stephen Jones before departing.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Good. Not a big fan of Jones, but he had a decent year this last year. New secondary coach, incentive-laden contract, and a want to get a redo in Dallas might make this a good move for both player and team.

Oh, and Carr is gone. Win win.

Stars

DCC 4Life
Assuming this happened, what kind of contract would you expect Adam Jones to get?

Cotton

Staff member
Assuming this happened, what kind of contract would you expect Adam Jones to get?
I would assume something in the neighborhood of 3 years, 3 mill per.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I oppose them bringing Jones back. We've been down that road. Want a different player.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Pacman lost his team a playoff game.

He is an idiot, and idiots will out.

Why in the ever loving world would we be interested in that pinhead?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The CB free agent class is pretty thin.

I am guessing that we won't be able to compete to get a kid like Casey Heyward. Or especially Janorris Jenkins. Even Amukamara will probably break the bank.

So that leaves players like Jones, Leon Hall, Jerraud Powers, Greg Toler, Terence Newman (shaddup), William Gay, Brandon Boykin, Sterling Moore and Jeremy Lane.

If you want an experienced vet, then he is about the best one.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I am guessing that we won't be able to compete to get a kid like Casey Heyward. Or especially Janorris Jenkins. Even Amukamara will probably break the bank.

So that leaves players like Jones, Leon Hall, Jerraud Powers, Greg Toler, Terence Newman (shaddup), William Gay, Brandon Boykin, Sterling Moore and Jeremy Lane.

Leon Hall is a pretty good player too. You forgot to mention Claiborne...

But in all seriousness I totally understand cutting Carr. He wasn't decent last year. He was terrible. And made zero plays on the ball in addition to that. He was the 55th best corner in the NFL according to Pro Football Focus. For comparison's sake Leon Hall ranked like 14th. Pacman Jones was like 5th or 6th. You didn't mention Sean Smith but I imagine he is also out of our price range.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is no use talking about someone we cannot afford.
Patrick Robinson is another solid name.

I'd actually say the DB market is the deepest market in free agency this year. It's not thin at all. The only problem is that every NFL team has a shit ton of money to spend. So odds are all of the top guys will get way over paid.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Patrick Robinson is another solid name.

I'd actually say the DB market is the deepest market in free agency this year. It's not thin at all. The only problem is that every NFL team has a shit ton of money to spend. So odds are all of the top guys will get way over paid.
I don't think it is deep at all.

With teams as flush with money as they are, the players that are going to be allowed to hit free agency are not starting quality for the most part.

Guys like Robinson are players that used to get signed at the end of the period when the money dried up.

Now they are appealing? Not to me.

shane

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't want to give him big money, but if we could get him for a reasonable deal, I say bring in Jones. He is a head case, but his talent outweighs the negative. He has figured it out in Cincy and become a top flight DB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guys like Robinson are players that used to get signed at the end of the period when the money dried up.
Isn't that what we are discussing though? I mean we've already assumed Dallas won't sign the big names that get snatched up right away. So instead we are talking about 5 or 6 guys that could still be available after the initial rush.

The only difference between this year and years in the past is contracts will be bigger. But that's every offseason. Contracts get bigger and bigger every year.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We seem to have a strict height limit on CB's the last few years and Stephen has mentioned several times that he doesn't like paying age in free agency, so in what world does it make sense to sign a 5-9/5-10 33 year old CB who has said he is going to the highest bidder, and oh by the way, he also washed out of Dallas 8 years ago.

Jeremy Lane is the proper play, 26 years old, 6-0, 190, experience starting in a similar defense. He shouldn't command much more than probably like 3 years, 12-15 million and there is some upside there.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We seem to have a strict height limit on CB's the last few years and Stephen has mentioned several times that he doesn't like paying age in free agency, so in what world does it make sense to sign a 5-9/5-10 33 year old CB who has said he is going to the highest bidder, and oh by the way, he also washed out of Dallas 8 years ago.

Jeremy Lane is the proper play, 26 years old, 6-0, 190, experience starting in a similar defense. He shouldn't command much more than probably like 3 years, 12-15 million and there is some upside there.
I think Seattle will try to keep him. As for us, too logical.

Cotton

Staff member

I'd be all over Sterling Moore.

Top Bottom