Gregory fails yet another drug test

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Someone at the DCU is claiming to have a contact inside Valley Ranch, and is saying that Gregory failed another drug test. That would make his suspension 10 games. Let's just hope this guy is full of shit. I have not seen anything to substantiate it.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
So it's almost like a 1st round bust.

They've shown that they're not counting on him, and that's great.

But as long as weed is illegal in the game, you have to have some control.

It's a shame that a young guy who has the ability to set himself up for life can't put that desire in check for a couple years.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You know those sources can be jokesters.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Whether it's true or not I'm more or less not even considering him in the equation of the 2016 team, whatever he gives us is a bonus in my mind, if anything.

I still think a DL consisting of Lawrence/Crawford/Thornton/Mayowa/Irving/Crawford/Tapper/Collins/McClain is superior to what we had in 2014.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eh I'll wait until something more substantial then a random poster claiming inside sources before I get upset with Gregory.

With that being said, how much longer will it be until Weed is no longer a banned substance by the NFL? It's silly really. The damn drug is legal in a bunch of states now. It's legal for medical purposes in even more and is being decriminalized in most of the remaining states. Why are we still trying to ruin NFL players careers over that shit? It doesn't enhance anyone's performance. I think the NFL's stance on it will have to change soon.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Eh I'll wait until something more substantial then a random poster claiming inside sources before I get upset with Gregory.

With that being said, how much longer will it be until Weed is no longer a banned substance by the NFL? It's silly really. The damn drug is legal in a bunch of states now. It's legal for medical purposes in even more and is being decriminalized in most of the remaining states. Why are we still trying to ruin NFL players careers over that shit? It doesn't enhance anyone's performance. I think the NFL's stance on it will have to change soon.

I think it should be legal as well, but also respect the rights of companies to test employees if they wish.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it should be legal as well, but also respect the rights of companies to test employees if they wish.
Well I respect the rights of a company to do whatever they would like. And usually they do it to the companies benefit. What I guess I'm really hinting at is that shouldn't the NFL change it's policy? Ultimately isn't it hurtful to the NFL to suspend some of their most talented players with no real benefit for doing so? Performance enhancers for example bring the integrity of the league into question. Drugs like meth and crack lead to players being in jail so they have a reason to protect their image.

But is their really a big benefit to preventing players from smoking weed? You're starting to see some players push back and basically are saying that the NFL is denying them weed and then shooting them up with far more dangerous pain killers. Now you're basically taking potential star NFL players off the field with suspensions and bringing down the overall talent level. If I were in charge of the NFL I'd slowly transition to removing weed from the banned list.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Well I respect the rights of a company to do whatever they would like. And usually they do it to the companies benefit. What I guess I'm really hinting at is that shouldn't the NFL change it's policy? Ultimately isn't it hurtful to the NFL to suspend some of their most talented players with no real benefit for doing so? Performance enhancers for example bring the integrity of the league into question. Drugs like meth and crack lead to players being in jail so they have a reason to protect their image.

But is their really a big benefit to preventing players from smoking weed? You're starting to see some players push back and basically are saying that the NFL is denying them weed and then shooting them up with far more dangerous pain killers. Now you're basically taking potential star NFL players off the field with suspensions and bringing down the overall talent level. If I were in charge of the NFL I'd slowly transition to removing weed from the banned list.
Players are definitely taking stuff with more adverse side effects than weed in order to stay on the field, it's just that Joe Fan in bumfuck Missouri has never heard of those drugs so the league isn't worried about it's image being tarnished in that regard.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Players are definitely taking stuff with more adverse side effects than weed in order to stay on the field, it's just that Joe Fan in bumfuck Missouri has never heard of those drugs so the league isn't worried about it's image being tarnished in that regard.
Depends if the players keep getting behind the movement. Derrick Morgan and Eugene Monroe aren't really big names but I wouldn't be surprised to see more players jump on board that bandwagon.

data

Forbes #1
Goodell's showing that he's tough, so tough that it means being serious on ex-crimes. Grrrr.

For the next Batman movie, He's giving Commissioner Gordon a run for the role.

townsend

Banned
I think that companies being allowed to test for thc is problematic. It's not a sobriety check, it's a morality check. If the test for alcohol popped within 30 days of you having a drink it would be worthless too. That's an invasion of privacy.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Depends if the players keep getting behind the movement. Derrick Morgan and Eugene Monroe aren't really big names but I wouldn't be surprised to see more players jump on board that bandwagon.
The NFL can hardly take an arbitrary position on pot since it is still illegal in some states. That would essentially be saying that they endorse the use of it if there were no repercussions.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The NFL can hardly take an arbitrary position on pot since it is still illegal in some states. That would essentially be saying that they endorse the use of it if there were no repercussions.
Sure they can. You take a position that you suspend players when they break the law. If they are in a state where the drug is legal or have a legal prescription you shouldn't be punishing the players for doing what is legal. So essentially what you would end up with is that players would only get suspended when they are arrested. Similar to what you see with many other laws like DWI's and assaults.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Sure they can. You take a position that you suspend players when they break the law. If they are in a state where the drug is legal or have a legal prescription you shouldn't be punishing the players for doing what is legal. So essentially what you would end up with is that players would only get suspended when they are arrested. Similar to what you see with many other laws like DWI's and assaults.
I agree as a technical matter but that would still be taking a position on the use of pot and it would possibly be bad PR for the league.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree as a technical matter but that would still be taking a position on the use of pot and it would possibly be bad PR for the league.
Most people support the legalization of marajuana so it actually would probably be a good pr move.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Most people support the legalization of marajuana so it actually would probably be a good pr move.
I think ones ideas as to the preference to legalize marIjuana will actually depend on the age of the person. Younger seems to favor it but people past 50 years old will generally decline legalization. The thought that most favor legalization doesn't seem to be reflected in the state count. There legalization is still in a minority.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There legalization is still in a minority.
It's changing but just slowly. Criminal law has always been slow to adjust and catch up. Like I said the progressive states are legalizing. The other states are dipping their toes in slowly by decriminalizing it. It's moving in the direction of legalizatiin because that's what the majority want but the legal system is slow.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It's changing but just slowly. Criminal law has always been slow to adjust and catch up. Like I said the progressive states are legalizing. The other states are dipping their toes in slowly by decriminalizing it. It's moving in the direction of legalizatiin because that's what the majority want but the legal system is slow.
Back to the topic however, in my opinion the NFL would do well to stay neutral at this time.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Not necessarily. Just stop testing for it. That's not taking a position, they can just say since it is legal in some jurisdictions and it is not a performance enhancement they no longer consider it a league matter and leave it at that.

Top Bottom