Out of control dog problem

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I brought this up before here a little bit. My mom has a dumb ass dog that is out of control. She loves this dog to no end. To the point that she can't see ever giving up the dog. The stupid thing has but several people. Recently she had a friend over who reached down to pet him and he bit him pretty hard in one hand. He tried to get him off with the other hand and then he latched onto that hand pretty hard. He's a pit mix that obviously had emotional problems.

The big catch is that my mom loves with us on the farm. She lives about 80 yards away in a 5th wheel while I'm building her a house. We have a cheap fence for now to try to keep him him but he escapes. My kids are afraid to go outside. He is a danger to the neighbors. He but one of my friends in the boot last night.

Since she won't do anything and probably would would resent me forever for turning the dog over I'm thinking about making the dog disappear. Dig a hole, bust a cap in his ass and be done with him. The dog can't be rehabilitated. He's 11 years old and only gets worse.

What do yall think? How can I solve the problem. I'm leaning towards shooting it and hiding the body.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I would say tell her that he went to live on a nice big farm, but....

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I brought this up before here a little bit. My mom has a dumb ass dog that is out of control. She loves this dog to no end. To the point that she can't see ever giving up the dog. The stupid thing has but several people. Recently she had a friend over who reached down to pet him and he bit him pretty hard in one hand. He tried to get him off with the other hand and then he latched onto that hand pretty hard. He's a pit mix that obviously had emotional problems.

The big catch is that my mom loves with us on the farm. She lives about 80 yards away in a 5th wheel while I'm building her a house. We have a cheap fence for now to try to keep him him but he escapes. My kids are afraid to go outside. He is a danger to the neighbors. He but one of my friends in the boot last night.

Since she won't do anything and probably would would resent me forever for turning the dog over I'm thinking about making the dog disappear. Dig a hole, bust a cap in his ass and be done with him. The dog can't be rehabilitated. He's 11 years old and only gets worse.

What do yall think? How can I solve the problem. I'm leaning towards shooting it and hiding the body.
There can be some huge liabilities incurred by keeping an animal with a history of violent actions.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I would kill it. If you are concerned about feeling guilty, take it to a vet and have it put down. No damn way would I keep an animal around that shows a propensity for aggression. It has to go.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yep. That's the correct thing to do, imo. You will feel relief and most importantly your kids will, too. Buy Mom another dog and hope she understands.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
To have a dog put down you have to prove that it has bitten someone with pictures and such. Wouldn't I need her cooperation for that?

It seems simpler to just shoot it and hide the evidence.

townsend

Banned
To have a dog put down you have to prove that it has bitten someone with pictures and such. Wouldn't I need her cooperation for that?

It seems simpler to just shoot it and hide the evidence.
I may be wrong but I think there's much less burdone of proof requires than that. I can't imagine a vet calling BS if you showed up with a dog you said you were afraid is going to hurt someone.

dallen

Senior Tech
I may be wrong but I think there's much less burdone of proof requires than that. I can't imagine a vet calling BS if you showed up with a dog you said you were afraid is going to hurt someone.
But I imagine you'd at least have to prove ownership which would still mean getting Mom's buy in.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Keeping an animal around like that is dangerous. Especially when your kids are involved. Talk to your mother and tell her what you're going to do. To hide it and lie to her would be bad, imo. Tell her it just can't stay where it could be a danger to her grandchildren. It may not have hurt one of them yet, but it will eventually. Especially as it gets older and it's eyesight and hearing start to fail. Hopefully your mother will see logic, and the dog can be taken to the vet and put down without you having to shoot it. If she doesn't agree to that, I'd then shoot it. Either way, I wouldn't allow it to stay on my place any longer.

Tough situation, but one that could get a whole lot tougher if left unresolved. Good luck.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
We've talked on several occasions. She's not willingly letting this dog go. That's the problem.

I might have to grenade this thing.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I don't understand someone retardedly loving something like this. I'm not experienced with pets. I'm not an animal lover either so I really don't get it. All I know is that I can't trust this bastard around my kids.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
We've talked on several occasions. She's not willingly letting this dog go. That's the problem.
When it mauls one of the kids, what then? Does she draw the line there, or at the more reasonable and intelligent likelihood of it mauling one of the kids? If it's even a remote possibility then at bare minimum this animal must be restrained.

Have you considered building a dog run, in the interim? Aircraft cable isn't expensive, can be strung between two poles, and the dog has a cable leash attached and can run up and down the length of the suspended cable. No fence cheap or otherwise, needed.

Just a thought.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

I might have to grenade this thing.
Then it's time to bring in Dear Abby or Dr. Phil.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Have you considered building a dog run, in the interim? Aircraft cable isn't expensive, can be strung between two poles, and the dog has a cable leash attached and can run up and down the length of the suspended cable. No fence cheap or otherwise, needed.

Just a thought.
At the very least this would keep him in one area for the moment, tell her the dog is going to be chained up for the safety of her grandkids. You will eventually need a better solution though.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If she isn't willing to protect her grandkids then just shoot it. Not sure I would go to a bunch of trouble to isolate it when you plan on shooting it anyway. Just shoot the damn thing and be done with it.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Kill it and dispose of the body, you say it escapes, there you go. It 'escaped'.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
If she isn't willing to protect her grandkids then just shoot it. Not sure I would go to a bunch of trouble to isolate it when you plan on shooting it anyway. Just shoot the damn thing and be done with it.
That's sort of the way I'm leaning.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yep. The problem has been identified. You can take the governmental approach and waste your time trying to change the problem or you can take the pragmatic approach and just eradicate the problem.

Top Bottom