Watkins: Cowboys get $2 million in cap space

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys get $2 million in cap space

June, 2, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

Remember when the Dallas Cowboys released defensive end Marcus Spears? Of course you do.

When that occurred, Spears was designated as a post-June 1 cut giving the Cowboys $2 million in salary cap space.

Well that time is here where the team picks up that extra monies and add up the savings with the paycut tackle Doug Free accepted, the team picked up $5.5 million in savings.

The Cowboys can use this extra cap space to take care of middle linebacker Sean Lee, entering the final year of his contract, maybe even outside linebacker Bruce Carter. The team can also make moves to secure the services of wide receiver Dez Bryant or grab another free agent.

It's doubtful if the Cowboys extend Bryant and Carter right now considering each has two years left on their deals.

But Lee seems to be a logical choice and talks could happen during training camp and continue through the season.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I would not touch Lee or Carter yet. Wait and see what happens this year before you deal with those contracts.

Especially Carter.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I would not touch Lee or Carter yet. Wait and see what happens this year before you deal with those contracts.

Especially Carter.
You know we will though. Undoubtedly Lee.

Lotuseater

Banned
Problem with that is the 4-3 could make superstars out of both these guys. I'd sign at least one, and hedge my bet there.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It would be dumb until you know for sure Lee can kick the injury bug.

Carter would be retarded at this point.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Just realized that Sean Lee is already 27.

Damn. He's not a young player anymore.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And with his penchant for injury this could be his last contract.

As good as he is I bet in a few years with think of him fondly...like Dat Nguyen.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
And with his penchant for injury this could be his last contract.

As good as he is I bet in a few years with think of him fondly...like Dat Nguyen.
Dat Nguyen was never very good. He was slightly above average who enjoyed disappearing for long stretched in games. And I never thought of him fondly.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Dat Nguyen was never very good. He was slightly above average who enjoyed disappearing for long stretched in games. And I never thought of him fondly.
I disagree. Dat was a go-getter who overachieved. He had a nice couple of years there that I would put in the good category.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I wasn't really getting into if Dat was as good as Lee. I was pointing to the longevity.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I disagree. Dat was a go-getter who overachieved. He had a nice couple of years there that I would put in the good category.
I think Sean Lee is already better than Dat Nguyen, but I agree.... Nguyen was quite good. He was a solid B+ player. Not a Pro Bowler but a guy you look at and think that the position is locked down.

His bigger problem was he joined the team at a time (1999) when it was a complete mess. And then when Parcells switched to the 3-4 he was out of place in it, really. But he was a fantastic 4-3 linebacker from 2001-2004.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I just don't want to overpay for 4-3 LBs. They are easier to find.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He had great instincts, but like Sean lee his body can't perform the way he wants it too. Nguyen wore himself out in 2003 playing above and beyond his talent. After that year he was done. When comparing with Sean Lee I will say at least Nguyen had that one year.

Sean Lee is a tease.

Top Bottom