College Basketball Chatter

D

Deuce

Only if you have articles written about you labeling you their Superfan.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Only if you have articles written about you labeling you their Superfan.
That was four years ago. I mean, the apology letter on official TTU letterhead was yesterday, but that was four years ago.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I don't have a problem with fans in the stands saying things like "you suck" or "you piece of crap" to either professional or near professional athletes. Completely amateur level athletes are a different matter, but college basketball is well beyond say, little league baseball or pee wee hockey or even high school sports.

I would have a problem with a 60 year old man belittling a 19 year old in another venue, but that was not the case here.

Marcus Smart is an adult who is going to be going toe to toe with the best basketball players on the globe in a few short months, along with all the physicality that entails, and on top of that, he will be expected to put up with the pressure that comes with being a franchise player for an entire city of basketball fans, manage a small fortune in salary, and deal with the criticisms he gets from fans and sports media alike on a day-in, day-out basis.

And every one of us would trade our own lives for his in the blink of an eye.

I don't feel bad because some 60 year old nobody yells at him. We fans get emotional and say things that constitute heckling. There is nothing wrong with that. If Marcus Smart is incapable of dealing with that, then there is a 0% chance he will handle everything else he has in front of him.

If this particular fan was doing other things besides saying "You piece of crap" then that is another matter.
Maybe the 60 year old should be able to handle a bunch of kids having a bad/good play/game without blowing a gasket?

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Maybe the 60 year old should be able to handle a bunch of kids having a bad/good play/game without blowing a gasket?
This is the essence of what irritates me. Kid gets to sit out, fatty gets to go control air traffic and come back and heckle if he wants.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Okay, so what about the other segment of college basketball players, the vast majority who aren't NBA prospects and are there to pay for their degree in physical therapy or whatever? Am I allowed to heckle them? Should I check the draft guides before I call the next 19 year old amateur a piece of crap at a sporting event?

Just need the rules clarified before I attend my next game.
I'd say use your judgement.

Which, if you have any, you'd realize calling a college basketball player a "piece of crap" isn't a big deal.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That's up to him. If he enjoys the game more blowing a gasket, feel free. As long as he doesn't cross a line.

Calling a player a "piece of crap" or saying "you suck" isn't crossing a line, at that level of competition and exposure.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
That was four years ago. I mean, the apology letter on official TTU letterhead was yesterday, but that was four years ago.
You really are butthurt about this. Again other universities know its happening. I guess every article should come with a disclosure on it now.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
You really are butthurt about this. Again other universities know its happening. I guess every article should come with a disclosure on it now.
:lol

Can't have a strong opinion without being "butthurt." Okay. Sorry I said the school you went to isn't perfect. How mean of me. No need to get, um, butthurt?

I just don't like belligerent assholes getting license to do what they want. That's about it.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I just don't like belligerent assholes getting license to do what they want. That's about it.
Good. Then we all agree.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The superfan article now redirects to the apology.
I think it's good that you're watching this so closely. You are the superfan of the superfan.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
If you must know, the link was in my clipboard from yesterday when I posted it, and when I went to copy something else, I accidentally pasted it into my browser window, noticed it redirected, then posted a single sentence about it with no commentary.

And I am the butthurt one. :lol

Bleed red and black.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
That's up to him. If he enjoys the game more blowing a gasket, feel free. As long as he doesn't cross a line.

Calling a player a "piece of crap" or saying "you suck" isn't crossing a line, at that level of competition and exposure.
Maybe the school should care more about the well being of it's students and not allow that kind of behaviour?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Maybe the school should care more about the well being of it's students and not allow that kind of behaviour?
Quite literally impossible to "not allow" every single person who yells out some sort of heckle or taunt at a stadium full of 20,000+ people, and they shouldn't anyway. Are we gonna regulate speech at sporting events now? :lol

If he takes it further than simple heckling, then that is reason to get involved. I guess there is indicia that this guy may have done that, as he's on film making lewd gestures and has a reputation for pushing the envelope.

But calling a player a "piece of crap" by itself isn't anything newsworthy.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I only caught the last couple of minutes but man what a finish to the Syracuse/Pitt game.

The 'Cuse Guard drills a deep three at the buzzer to win it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Tar Heels continue their bewildering trend of beating top 10 teams despite also being able to consisntently lose to unranked ones.

Always great to beat a top 5 Dook team though. :towel

And we've actually won 8 straight so maybe we're on a roll.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Duke v Syracuse is a fun game. Grant impresses the hell out of me...not sure he has an NBA game but I like watching him on the college level. Parker is giving me a chubby thinking about what he could do in Philadelphia.

D

Deuce

Iffy call ends the game, but you can't act like this and rob you're team a chance to shoot for the tie.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I don't blame him for it...that was a shit call, period.

Carp

DCC 4Life
It was a bad call, but they still had a chance...you can't end it for your team on technicals though.

Top Bottom