NBA Chatter Thread

Carp

DCC 4Life
90 million for Dragic??!!!!

204 million tied up in Bosh and Dragic?!

WTF is Miami doing? :lol
They are going after Monta Ellis and want Wade back too. Deng exercising his player option really hurt them.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You're only going to see these contracts get more and more ridiculous with how crazy the cap will soon be.

I mean, Aminu has been in the league 5 years, never averaged double figures, doesn't really do anything particularly well except play decent defense and he's getting paid 7.5 a year, come on.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
They are going after Monta Ellis and want Wade back too. Deng exercising his player option really hurt them.
Wade wasn't worth the 16.5 million he turned down, so if they want him back, it's obviously going to cost them more than that. Why on earth pay that to a good at best player who can't play more than 60 games a season? Especially if you're going to have a similar player in Ellis?

Even if they get both Ellis and Wade, they aren't winning a championship or even coming close to sniffing the Finals with that group. But they're going to be praying for a miracle to happen because they'll have all that salary tied up and won't be able to add any other significant pieces.

Why do teams do this? Brooklyn did the same thing years ago when anyone with half a brain knew that team wasn't championship caliber. I'd rather be an average team and save my money for some potential franchise types than to use just to use it on a group that isn't going to win me shit.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Wade wasn't worth the 16.5 million he turned down, so if they want him back, it's obviously going to cost them more than that. Why on earth pay that to a good at best player who can't play more than 60 games a season? Especially if you're going to have a similar player in Ellis?

Even if they get both Ellis and Wade, they aren't winning a championship or even coming close to sniffing the Finals with that group. But they're going to be praying for a miracle to happen because they'll have all that salary tied up and won't be able to add any other significant pieces.

Why do teams do this? Brooklyn did the same thing years ago when anyone with half a brain knew that team wasn't championship caliber. I'd rather be an average team and save my money for some potential franchise types than to use just to use it on a group that isn't going to win me shit.
They are stuck now and kind of have to ride this out and hope that Riley does something to give them a legit shot. I agree that with the current core they don't have a chance to win the finals, but if all things go right they could be a top 4 team in the East and then you never know from there.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
They are stuck now and kind of have to ride this out and hope that Riley does something to give them a legit shot. I agree that with the current core they don't have a chance to win the finals, but if all things go right they could be a top 4 team in the East and then you never know from there.
On paper, you'd think they could be a top 4 in the East, but I thought that last year and they sucked out loud.

As weak as the East was, I thought for sure that a group with Bosh, Wade, and Deng could be top 4, but they just weren't good at all. Couple that with a conference that saw significant improvement in teams like Atlanta and Washington, and the East isn't the shit conference it used to be.

Even with that group, I'd say they are a 5 seed at best, but we'll see.

D

Deuce

Shit...NBA FA is crazy...Khris MIddleton got 5/70 and Milsap has a max deal on the table from Orlando...both nice players, but those dollars are way too much.
The Bucks and Magic have been bad long enough that you have to overpay to get good players. Millsap is a good player and should be able to give them another 3 years of solid production at the a position of need, plus his skill set mixes well with Vucevic.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The Bucks and Magic have been bad long enough that you have to overpay to get good players. Millsap is a good player and should be able to give them another 3 years of solid production at the a position of need, plus his skill set mixes well with Vucevic.
Tells me that they don't think much of Aaron Gordon...a pick I hated from the get go.

D

Deuce

Tells me that they don't think much of Aaron Gordon...a pick I hated from the get go.
Ya, it doesn't speak well of him or his injuries. But if he can get it turned around they suddenly have good depth.

Most importantly they need this Croatian rookie to be a scorer from the start.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Bucks and Magic have been bad long enough that you have to overpay to get good players.
He's an allstar player and the cap is going up next year. Hell the Hawks offered him the same contract so it's not like the Magic are standing out there on an island by themselves. His age is a concern but I don't think this is all that outrageous.

Now what does it say about Gordon? That is a wonderful question. Supposedly the Magic wanted to kick Gordon out to SF. Of course they just took a SF with their top pick. So someone is going to be the odd man out. Or they will just come off the bench for a couple of years. Odds are all of the Magic's young picks aren't going to be studs, so I don't see so much of a problem with this.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Hawks To Acquire Tiago Splitter
July 1st at 10:49am CST by Chuck Myron

The Spurs will trade Tiago Splitter to the Hawks, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports (Twitter links). The move comes just after San Antonio agreed to re-sign Danny Green, so the Splitter move will presumably allow San Antonio to preserve the cap flexibility to compete for LaMarcus Aldridge and other marquee free agents, Wojnarowski adds.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Nets To Re-Sign Brook Lopez, Thaddeus Young
July 1st at 10:35am CST by Chuck Myron

10:35am: The Nets and both players have indeed reached agreement, according to Wojnarowski (on Twitter). Young is getting a player option, too.

12:55am: Lopez’s deal will include a player option after the second season, Wojnarowski reports.

12:04am: The Nets appear to be all but finished securing Brook Lopez and Thaddeus Young, as expected. A source close to the talks told Marc Stein of ESPN.com to “consider them done deals” (Twitter link). Lopez is expected to sign for three years and $60MM, which is about the maximum, while Young is expected to get four years and $50MM, according to Stein.
This news doesn’t come as a surprise, with Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports previously reporting that Brooklyn was the frontrunner to re-sign both players. The Nets have reportedly been planning to pay Lopez his full market value, although the agreement could include some financial protections for Brooklyn should a recurrence of the seven-footer’s past foot issues sideline him again, Wojnarowski noted. Lopez could also opt to have the agreement include a player option for the third year, which would allow him to re-enter free agency after the maximum contract salaries elevate with the flow of new television money.
Young had reportedly been leaning toward opting out back in May, though Young’s agent, Jim Tanner, had suggested that he instead opt in and hit free agency next summer, when the salary cap is projected to surge. The 27-year-old averaged 14.1 points and 5.4 rebounds in 32.0 minutes per game this season, and was acquired by Brooklyn in a midseason trade with Minnesota. Young will still likely listen to pitches from other teams despite the mutual interest in a return to Brooklyn, according to Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports. The Magic are reportedly interested in signing the forward, per Michael Scotto of SheridanHoops.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Sounds like Butler going back to Chicago is a foregone conclusion at this point.

As for Davis, that contract will surely be surpassed shortly once the cap starts to rise, and it looks like he's right on track to head back to his hometown sometime around 2020-21.
:lol

Carp

DCC 4Life
Mavs are rumored to be closing in on Wesley Matthews.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Adrian Wojnarowski ✔@WojYahooNBA
Lakers didn't make strong impression in Aldridge meeting, sources say. Spurs can close on him. LMA expected to make decision fairly soon.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Raptors To Sign DeMarre Carroll
July 1st at 11:07am CST by Chuck Myron

The Raptors will sign DeMarre Carroll, the small forward revealed on his verified Twitter account (hat tip to Kevin Arnovitz of ESPN.com). It’s a four-year, $60MM deal, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports (on Twitter). The Hawks weren’t going to give much more than $50MM on a four-year arrangement, tweets Arnovitz. Carroll said the Pistons and Suns also had interest but the Raptors simply went over the top with their offer, tweets Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
The Knicks, Lakers and Celtics all appeared to have interest in Carroll, too, as did the Hawks, but they were growing pessimistic about retaining the Mark Bartelstein client in tandem with Paul Millsap. Carroll is a three-and-D wing whose value skyrocketed after he signed a two-year, $5MM deal with Atlanta in 2013, and it wasn’t an easy decision for him to leave the Hawks, as he told Vivlamore (Twitter link).
Toronto will use much of its max-level cap space on Carroll, likely cutting the team off from a pursuit of LaMarcus Aldridge or another marquee target. The Raptors gained $6.6MM worth of cap flexibility when they traded Greivis Vasquez last week.

D

Deuce

As much as I dislike Wade and know he's going to miss a lot of games in the upcoming season, I'd make a push for him if I'm Ainge right now. Tons of cap space and some solid pieces around him but they need a #1 guy. Let him run the floor with Smart/Rozier and rely on solid team defense.

D

Deuce

@ESPNSteinLine: ESPN sources tell @WindhorstESPN & I that Cavs and Tristan Thompson are nearing agreement on deal that will pay the RFA in excess of $80 mil

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
How in the hell are the Cavs going to pay Love 22 a year, Irving around 18, Thompson around 16 and presumably LeBron around 24?

That's like 80 a year for just those 4 players.

Top Bottom