Report: Cowboys OL Ronald Leary requests trade

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Ronald Leary does not expect to be on the Dallas Cowboys for this upcoming NFL season.

The former starting left guard of the 'Boys has requested a trade, per ESPN's Todd Archer. Leary did not show up for the first day of organized team activities on Tuesday.

In late April, Leary signed his second-round contract tender for one year worth $2.553 million. The Cowboys originally placed the tender on Leary in early March.

The restricted free agent was allowed to sign an offer sheet with another club during free agency with the Cowboys having the right to match. Had Leary signed with another team and the Cowboys didn't match, the team would have received an extra second-round draft pick as compensation in this year's draft.

The Cowboys had the chance to deal Leary during the 2016 NFL Draft, but didn't end up doing so. Leary has some value for other clubs across the league as the offensive lineman is a still considered a starter in the NFL.

One team that could use Leary's services, as pointed out by Archer, is the Tennessee Titans. They recently lost starting left guard Byron Bell to a severe ankle injury.

Leary originally signed as an undrafted free agent in 2012. He's started 35 games in four seasons for the Cowboys.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Cowboys had the chance to deal Leary during the 2016 NFL Draft, but didn't end up doing so.
So does this mean we actually had an offer and decided not to? I wonder what the offer was. I think it's time to just trade Leary. Forcing him to stick around as a backup probably won't benefit anyone at this point.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
So does this mean we actually had an offer and decided not to? I wonder what the offer was. I think it's time to just trade Leary. Forcing him to stick around as a backup probably won't benefit anyone at this point.
He's good insurance if one of our guards misses time. And I'm sure we'll get a pretty good comp pick for him when he signs a starters contract next spring. So if we can't trade him for what we figure we'd get in a comp pick, I'd just as soon hang on to him.

dallen

Senior Tech
If we can get a good offer I'm sure we'd be happy to facilitate that

dallen

Senior Tech
Whatever we get for him would have to outweigh the comp pick we'd get if he leaves after next season

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Whatever we get for him would have to outweigh the comp pick we'd get if he leaves after next season
If take a 4th and call it a day.

Jiggyfly

Banned
If he has gotten no significant playing time since 2014 he is not getting much of a FA contract at the end of the year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's good insurance if one of our guards misses time. And I'm sure we'll get a pretty good comp pick for him when he signs a starters contract next spring. So if we can't trade him for what we figure we'd get in a comp pick, I'd just as soon hang on to him.
I doubt we get a great comp pick for a guy who hasn't started for 2 years. Probably a sixth or seventh rounder. If he isn't going to be happy sitting as a backup, I'd say better to trade for those picks now and not have the issue of a backup crying.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I doubt we get a great comp pick for a guy who hasn't started for 2 years. Probably a sixth or seventh rounder. If he isn't going to be happy sitting as a backup, I'd say better to trade for those picks now and not have the issue of a backup crying.
The comp pick is based on the salary and position the guy pulls with the new team.

I wouldn't trade for less than a 3rd.

He's worth more to us in depth if we end up being a playoff team. If we're going to trade, let's get a quality player in the secondary or at LB.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Let him sit until training camp when his value will be highest. Teams will be more willing to part with picks or players 1 month before the season as opposed to 4, not to mention the longer into training camp we keep him the more insurance we have in case of injury.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I agree, if you get a 4th just take it, no need to get to greedy.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If that's what you're waiting for, you'll never get a trade.
Exactly.

For one thing, he's too valuable. We may have to reshuffle the OL this year. Maybe Martin becomes a tackle and Leary takes over at guard.

Next, it's not worth trading a starting guard for a 4th when we'll probably get a 4th or 3rd the next year as compensation anyway.

Trade him if another team gets desperate or if Romo breaks again and the playoffs are shot.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Exactly.

For one thing, he's too valuable. We may have to reshuffle the OL this year. Maybe Martin becomes a tackle and Leary takes over at guard.

Next, it's not worth trading a starting guard for a 4th when we'll probably get a 4th or 3rd the next year as compensation anyway.

Trade him if another team gets desperate or if Romo breaks again and the playoffs are shot.
You are way overrating the potential comp pick.

After a year sitting on Dallas' bench, he will not get a mega deal. Probably nets a sixth in a perfect scenario.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I just can't see a team giving a 4th and a 3rd is a fairy tale. Most likely we'd get a 6th, but maybe a 5th.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Exactly.

I think you are getting Ron Leary confused with Larry Allen.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just can't see a team giving a 4th and a 3rd is a fairy tale. Most likely we'd get a 6th, but maybe a 5th.
This is pretty much how I see it. And honestly Leary probably won't be active on game days for us because he doesn't have position flexibility. So unless we have a long term injury to guard Leary won't play for us this year.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Let him sit until training camp when his value will be highest. Teams will be more willing to part with picks or players 1 month before the season as opposed to 4, not to mention the longer into training camp we keep him the more insurance we have in case of injury.
I agree.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think you are getting Ron Leary confused with Larry Allen.
I think a 4th is very possible especially if a team gets an injury during training camp.

Would not even trade him for a 6th,

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
And we have to remember, any comp pick would be at the end of the round.So if he nets a 6th round comp pick it's really a 7th. And it would be in 2018.

I'd far rather get a 5th or 6th for him for 2017.

Top Bottom