Williams: Cowboys rookie Randy Gregory doing all the right things

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys rookie Randy Gregory doing all the right things, including adding healthy weight

BY CHAREAN WILLIAMS
cjwilliams@star-telegram.com

Randy Gregory has done everything the Cowboys have asked so far.

“I’m making plays, doing what’s asked and trying to stay out of trouble,” Gregory said.

The defensive end continues to gain weight, too. He said he has added 12 pounds so far, up to 243, with the Cowboys hoping for even more healthy weight.

“It’s easy to see his talent, very easy to see,” owner Jerry Jones said. “His willingness to take coaching from his teammates, as well as the coaches themselves – all of those things, you like. Those are intangibles. I’m pleased that he’s gained the weight he’s gained. I’m going to round this off, but I’d say he’s up 15 pounds. And he doesn’t labor in any way with that 15 pounds. He can lose it -- I’m envious -- he can lose it as fast as anybody that you can imagine, but he can also put it on. His diet – he’s doing some good stuff. He’s been very responsible.”

Gregory eats bigger meals – four meals a day -- with a late-night snack. He runs less. The Cowboys would like him in the 250-255 range, but he might not get there.

He weighed 205 pounds in high school, and Nebraska listed him at 240 pounds last season, though he said he was in the 230s.

“I don’t really have an exact target,” Gregory said. “They want me above 245, I’m sure. They’d probably like me to be above 255. But anywhere between that I think is reasonable to start training camp.”

Gregory slipped to the Cowboys in the second round after testing positive for marijuana at the NFL Scouting Combine. He said he doesn’t consider himself a risk and has found it easy to do the right things in Dallas.

“I think we have a real good group of guys here,” Gregory said. “That’s what’s important. As long as you stay around a good crowd, I think you’ll be fine.”

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cowboys rookie Randy Gregory doing all the right things, including adding healthy weight

BY CHAREAN WILLIAMS
cjwilliams@star-telegram.com

Randy Gregory has done everything the Cowboys have asked so far.

“I’m making plays, doing what’s asked and trying to stay out of trouble,” Gregory said.

The defensive end continues to gain weight, too. He said he has added 12 pounds so far, up to 243, with the Cowboys hoping for even more healthy weight.

“It’s easy to see his talent, very easy to see,” owner Jerry Jones said. “His willingness to take coaching from his teammates, as well as the coaches themselves – all of those things, you like. Those are intangibles. I’m pleased that he’s gained the weight he’s gained. I’m going to round this off, but I’d say he’s up 15 pounds. And he doesn’t labor in any way with that 15 pounds. He can lose it -- I’m envious -- he can lose it as fast as anybody that you can imagine, but he can also put it on. His diet – he’s doing some good stuff. He’s been very responsible.”

Gregory eats bigger meals – four meals a day -- with a late-night snack. He runs less. The Cowboys would like him in the 250-255 range, but he might not get there.

He weighed 205 pounds in high school, and Nebraska listed him at 240 pounds last season, though he said he was in the 230s.

“I don’t really have an exact target,” Gregory said. “They want me above 245, I’m sure. They’d probably like me to be above 255. But anywhere between that I think is reasonable to start training camp.”

Gregory slipped to the Cowboys in the second round after testing positive for marijuana at the NFL Scouting Combine. He said he doesn’t consider himself a risk and has found it easy to do the right things in Dallas.

“I think we have a real good group of guys here,” Gregory said. “That’s what’s important. As long as you stay around a good crowd, I think you’ll be fine.”
He plays strong for his size. I don't really want him to get much bigger then 250 lbs. I'd hate for him to sacrifice any speed or quickness.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I hope my homerism doesn't bite me in the ass, but I think this kid can be an impact player this year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He plays strong for his size. I don't really want him to get much bigger then 250 lbs. I'd hate for him to sacrifice any speed or quickness.
Pretty much. Jason Taylor was just fine at that range of weight. If he uses leverage correctly, he will be fine.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Man we could have a nice trio of pass rushers if this all works out.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, I still can't get excited about Hardy until they make up their damn mind about his suspension.

Should be interesting to see how we use these guys.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Who's the third in your estimation? Lawrence or Mincey?

Because Mincey deserves credit for what he did last year, dude was a hoss all year and came up huge in Green Bay with 2 sacks and a FF/recovery. Sure he could drop off due to age, motivation or whatever, but if he gives us what he gave us last year, I feel damn good about him playing just about any role we give him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Because Mincey deserves credit for what he did last year, dude was a hoss all year and came up huge in Green Bay with 2 sacks and a FF/recovery. Sure he could drop off due to age, motivation or whatever, but if he gives us what he gave us last year, I feel damn good about him playing just about any role we give him.
I think he was going with a Lawrence, Gregory, Hardy thing. "If it all works out".

Cotton

Staff member
This is the most improved I feel after an offseason on both sides of the ball in a long time.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This is the most improved I feel after an offseason on both sides of the ball in a long time.
Yeah, but the 1-technique thing still bugs me. I think we have good players on the surface otherwise.

It is kind of like getting Martin and Collins, but still starting Costa.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Careful, we might have to actually praise somebody or something.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, but the 1-technique thing still bugs me. I think we have good players on the surface otherwise.

It is kind of like getting Martin and Collins, but still starting Costa.
Yeah, me too. But I think we will be more than okay with this group.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think he was going with a Lawrence, Gregory, Hardy thing. "If it all works out".
Yea, my point is that Mincey deserves to be included in that group. Not a guy you want as your best pass rusher but in a rotation he could be money.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah, but the 1-technique thing still bugs me
You'd at least like to be average there, and not battling for worst in the league. It's one of the worst positions to be below-average at.

Offensively relying on Joseph Randle was an unnecessary gamble. I can understand sticking with your draft board in most years, but when you are this close to the Superbowl you have to think about needs-- like how you replace the NFL's leading rusher.

We needed a young buck to split carries with the committee and maybe step up and take the reigns.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You'd at least like to be average there, and not battling for worst in the league. It's one of the worst positions to be below-average at.

Offensively relying on Joseph Randle was an unnecessary gamble. I can understand sticking with your draft board in most years, but when you are this close to the Superbowl you have to think about needs-- like how you replace the NFL's leading rusher.

We needed a young buck to split carries with the committee and maybe step up and take the reigns.
Pretty much my sentiment. If you arent going to keep the rushing leader at least try to find someone who has a chance to try to replecate the production. A solid draft pick along side Randle may have had a chance to do that. It was a mistake going after McFadden.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Mincey was a nice surprise but I'm not counting on him to be more than the 6 sack-ish player he was last year.

townsend

Banned
Mincey was a nice surprise but I'm not counting on him to be more than the 6 sack-ish player he was last year.
My predictions are Mincey 5, Lawrence 4, Hardy 7-13 (depending on appeal), Gregory 9, Crawford 7

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
My predictions are Mincey 5, Lawrence 4, Hardy 7-13 (depending on appeal), Gregory 9, Crawford 7
I am betting Lawrence gets more than Crawford. A little ambitious on Gregory. Six sounds about right for him.

townsend

Banned
I am betting Lawrence gets more than Crawford. A little ambitious on Gregory. Six sounds about right for him.
I'm worried about Lawrence playing inside at his size. He may not be as fragile as I think he is, but I'm worried he'll miss time. As for Gregory I'm hoping he does what Ware did, that's probably overly optimistic but he is a Ware level prospect, and is playing with a much stronger Defensive mind than Mike Zimmer.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Lawrence/Gregory for 13 total might be close. I think Lawrence probably gets more and Gregory probably gets less. Just because I don't know if Gregory will get the playing time right away. Of course if Lawrence gets hurt then Gregory could get more sacks. I'd love to see somewhere in the range of 13-15 between the two guys though.

Top Bottom