Most dominant athletes of the last 25 years

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It's hard for me to call a boxer dominant when he isn't knocking fools out like early Tyson and Foreman.
Julio Cesar Chavez wasn't known as a knockout boxer, but I'd certainly call him dominant.

I'd add Ronda Rousey as another athlete that dominates what she does. As for football players being hard to put on the list, if JJ Watt continues what he's been doing, he is also in the argument.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Furthermore, you have yet to name anyone to put on this list, Pops.
I believe I did if you want to check back. I agreed with Woods and Serena Williams and added Mayweather.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I believe I did if you want to check back. I agreed with Woods and Serena Williams and added Mayweather.
Right, but I'm asking about college football. You stated who you think it is not.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Right, but I'm asking about college football. You stated who you think it is not.
For me it is hard to judge an individual on any team sport, college or pro because of the involvement of other players who have influences on the outcomes. Sometimes it can appear an individual is setting themselves apart but on examination others performances enable the individual to do what they accomplish. It is more obvious to see dominant athletes in the one one one engagements such as golf, tennis , boxing, etc. I really don't have a solid team sport person that I can unequivocally say always made the difference. That's not to say they aren't there, it's just saying I think they are always reliant on team members to be able to excel. Having said that baseball may be the easiest to identify but I don't follow it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Julio Cesar Chavez wasn't known as a knockout boxer, but I'd certainly call him dominant.

I'd add Ronda Rousey as another athlete that dominates what she does. As for football players being hard to put on the list, if JJ Watt continues what he's been doing, he is also in the argument.
I'll go for Ronda, as long as she stays on top a little longer. Only 11 fights isn't much of a sample size.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Michael Schumacher
Tiger Woods
Roger Federer
Michael Jordan
Michael Phelps

That would be the Mt Rushmore from 1990-now

Honorable mention goes out to:
Bolt
Bubka
Gretzky (it was the tail end of his carrer, but still so much better than anyone else overall...)
Lemieux (only guy who's come even close to sniffing Gretzky's jock)
Nadal (especially on clay)
Djokovic (getting there)
Messi (if not for lack of results with national team he'd be top of this list)

I really don't follow women sports enough to say, but Steffi Graff was more dominant than Serena.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Jordan's domination period is mostly out of the 25 Year period.. I agree with Woods and Williams but I don't follow baseball that close to know about it.
I would throw in Mayweather as well.
:lol

WUT

2015 - 25 = 1990.

Jordan's titles? 1991, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98.

MVPs during that span? 3

6 time all-NBA first team,

6 NBA finals MVP.

4 all NBA defensive team.

Care to retract your statement?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The Texas team proved USC was overrated by beating USC on a last minute drive. Silly talk.
LT isn't having his best moments in this thread.

That USC team is an all timer. In a Texas fan, but it took a stupid Reggie Bush lateral and a huge 4th down stop for us to have that shot.

It isn't like we went out and dominated them from the outset.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Just depends whether you view him as a better individual athlete in the 80s or 90s.
There's no question he was better and more dominant in the 90's.

He still had tremendous athleticism in the 90's, but he was also a more cerebral player and he developed an unstoppable fadeaway.

There's no comparison in terms of dominance between 80's MJ and 90's MJ.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I honestly don't see it with Winston. He was clutch for sure but not dominant imo.

Vince Young and Tebow are two of the best college players in the last 25 years imo. There may be more but nobody has,put out a solid arguement yet.
Agreed.

Vince absolutely took over games. If he wasn't beating you with his arm, he was driving defenses made with his legs.

He was unstoppable when he was at his best.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Agreed.

Vince absolutely took over games. If he wasn't beating you with his arm, he was driving defenses made with his legs.

He was unstoppable when he was at his best.

Pretty much...and I hate Texas and all of their gay players.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Jordan
Shaq
Phelps
Lance Armstrong
Tiger Woods

That would be my top 5 most dominant athletes of the last 25 years.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Pretty much...and I hate Texas and all of their gay players.
The guy threw for 3,000 yards and ran for 1,300 in his final year.

That to go along with 38 TDs.

If that's not dominant, I'm not sure what is.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
The guy threw for 3,000 yards and ran for 1,300 in his final year.

That to go along with 38 TDs.

If that's not dominant, I'm not sure what is.
It is not just the stats. If you watched the games he did whatever he wanted to. He was unstoppable.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It is not just the stats. If you watched the games he did whatever he wanted to. He was unstoppable.
Yeah, I hated him. A lot.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Oklahoma pretty much owned Vince Young so I had no beef with him. :art

The only time he really burned OU was in 2005...a year that they were in reload mode.

Top Bottom