MLB Chatter Thread

dallen

Senior Tech
Be Happy. You got some good talent. Alfaro, Williams, Eickhoff, and Thompson should see the majors. For me losing Thompson stings the most.
Pretty much the same, except Alfaro hurts the most. I guess I got spoiled by growing up watching Pudge

peplaw06

Brand New Member
Disclaimer: So I haven't watched a lot of Cole Hamels.

But Rangers fans are all saying that they have two aces now. I agree Yu is an ace when healthy. But I never thought of Cole as an ace. I think he's a strong #2. Thought he never lived up to the hype he had...

I think the Rangers got the better of the trade, since they didn't give up Gallo or Mazara, but I don't think it's some steal.

Am I wrong?

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Disclaimer: So I haven't watched a lot of Cole Hamels.

But Rangers fans are all saying that they have two aces now. I agree Yu is an ace when healthy. But I never thought of Cole as an ace. I think he's a strong #2. Thought he never lived up to the hype he had...

I think the Rangers got the better of the trade, since they didn't give up Gallo or Mazara, but I don't think it's some steal.

Am I wrong?
"Ace" is a relative term. He was certainly the ace of the Phillies staff. I consider him a front line starter for damn sure. He is a lefty that is good for 200 IP and 200 Ks per year with a good ERA/WHIP. He has been pretty durable as well, though he is on the wrong side of 30 now.

He has really good stuff and the Rangers will have a formidable 1-2 punch assuming Yu comes back strong. The Rangers gave up a lot to get him but he wasn't going to come cheap. They could have not made the move and gotten involved in the starting pitcher free agent market this winter (chasing guys like D. Price and J. Zimmerman) but they will be even more expensive than Hamels contract and there is no guarantee the Rangers would win the bidding. Plus, and this is a big deal, Philly ate some of the money so Hamels is cheap for a guy of his ability for the next 3 years.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Part of the problem with the perception of Hamels is that his won-loss record isn't great. But The problem with that is that his run support For some reason has always been fairly poor Over his career. All his other numbers are right around what you'd want from an ace. He's not quite Kershaw or Sherzer but he's right in that next tier. You can run him out there every 5th day and know he's going to pitch at the very least a good game, and some days like his last outing he'll be dominant.

Ace is subjective once you get past the upper upper tier guys. But Hamels was The lead pitcher on a team that won a World Series. And he was the MVP of that series. I think that says a lot about him.

dallen

Senior Tech
"Ace" is a relative term. He was certainly the ace of the Phillies staff. I consider him a front line starter for damn sure. He is a lefty that is good for 200 IP and 200 Ks per year with a good ERA/WHIP. He has been pretty durable as well, though he is on the wrong side of 30 now.

He has really good stuff and the Rangers will have a formidable 1-2 punch assuming Yu comes back strong. The Rangers gave up a lot to get him but he wasn't going to come cheap. They could have not made the move and gotten involved in the starting pitcher free agent market this winter (chasing guys like D. Price and J. Zimmerman) but they will be even more expensive than Hamels contract and there is no guarantee the Rangers would win the bidding. Plus, and this is a big deal, Philly ate some of the money so Hamels is cheap for a guy of his ability for the next 3 years.
And they took the rest of Harrison's contract. Hopefully he can continue his comeback, but I'm glad that is someone else's risk now and the Rangers can re-allocate that investment

D

Deuce

Apparently Toronto is about to get David Price. Welcome back to the AL East, buddy. Looking forward to our backup catcher hitting multiple bombs a game off you again soon.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Apparently Toronto is about to get David Price. Welcome back to the AL East, buddy. Looking forward to our backup catcher hitting multiple bombs a game off you again soon.
I'm hoping a couple months back in that division reminds him how rough it can be and that he decides this offseason that he should sign with an NL team. Specifically one located at the intersection of Clark and Addison on the north side of Chicago.

dallen

Senior Tech

That is about how much we would have been paying Harrison over the next 3 seasons

dallen

Senior Tech

That is about how much we would have been paying Harrison over the next 3 seasons
Never mind. That calculation already included the savings from Harrison's contract and the money the Phillies kicked in. Still a heck of a deal for Hamels

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Never mind. That calculation already included the savings from Harrison's contract and the money the Phillies kicked in. Still a heck of a deal for Hamels
Wholly cow, if they are only paying him that for the next few years the Rangers got even more of a steal than I thought. So hoping for a healthy staff the next few years they have Yu, Cole, Holland, Perez, and Lewis. as the starting 5. Then there is Martinez, Gonzales as alternates as needed. That is pretty darn good if you ask me. Again, assuming good health.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Cubs are really trying to move Castro now...Mets need to get in on that.

Genghis Khan

Apparently Phillies trying to trade Ben Revere. Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Cubs are really trying to move Castro now...Mets need to get in on that.
They can have him. I have gone back and forth on him the past couple of years but the Cubs need to move a middle infielder and he is absolutely the one I want to see them trade at this point. Addison Russell needs to move to SS and they can bring Javy Baez up to play 2B. Baez may or may not pan out, but I just don't see any upside left in Castro anymore. He is plenty young enough to turn it around again—he was good last year but this is the second season in the past 3 where he has been bad—so maybe he could benefit from the "change of scenery" thing.

He has never been a good fielder and has always made a lot of mental errors. His redeeming quality has always been that he can hit for average and has some pop (his SB days are already behind him at the age of 25). He doesn't even have that anymore. He just beats the ball into the ground. I cringe every single time he comes up with a runner on 1B and less than 2 out because odds are he is going to GIDP.

I know the Cubs have talked to the Padres about him. At this point I wouldn't be upset if they shipped him off for a rental like Ian Kennedy but ideally he would be part of a bigger package to get Tyson Ross (who multiple teams are reportedly chasing). Baez's name came up in talking to SD too but personally I hold Baez for his upside and see if he pans out. I just don't see things turning around much for Castro in Chicago. Maybe for some other team. If he goes to the NYM I would love to see the Cubs get Wheeler in return, even at the risk that he is coming back from TJ. I'd take that risk for the upside of a young pitcher under team control for several seasons.

Last edited:
D

Deuce

Apparently Phillies trying to trade Ben Revere. Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease.
He's the type of player I want to see the Rays get in on. We haven't had a legit .300 hitter at the top of the lineup since Crawford.

Do you dislike the player or just want to see Herrera play more?

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
He's the type of player I want to see the Rays get in on. We haven't had a legit .300 hitter at the top of the lineup since Crawford.

I don't see Revere as an ideal top of the order guy at all. He will hit about .300 but rarely walks so his OBP is generally in the .330 range. Decent but not great for a leadoff guy. Plus he has a pathetic arm in the outfield. I don't see him play often so I'm sure Geng can tell you a lot more about him but I don't think he is that great of a baseball player.

D

Deuce

I don't see Revere as an ideal top of the order guy at all. He will hit about .300 but rarely walks so his OBP is generally in the .330 range. Decent but not great for a leadoff guy. Plus he has a pathetic arm in the outfield. I don't see him play often so I'm sure Geng can tell you a lot more about him but I don't think he is that great of a baseball player.
You're talking about prototypical leadoff guys and defensive outfielders with prototypical arms.

Now look at him from a Rays perspective. Their leadoff hitter is usually Kiermier with his BA in the .240's. The only other guy who could hit leadoff and steal bases like Revere would be Jennings who can't stay healthy or hit above .250.

I'd move Revere to LF, not like you need a cannon there.

Genghis Khan

Dislike. He can hit 300 but that's all he does. If you hit 300 but your on base percentage is like 325, and you have zero power, like almost literally zero, and you aren't that great at stealing bases, and aren't that good defensively, and you have the arm of a twelve year old girl, you pretty much suck.

D

Deuce

Dislike. He can hit 300 but that's all he does. If you hit 300 but your on base percentage is like 325, and you have zero power, like almost literally zero, and you aren't that great at stealing bases, and aren't that good defensively, and you have the arm of a twelve year old girl, you pretty much suck.
I like what I'm hearing. His trade value should be small as well. It's the Rays way.

Top Bottom