User Tag List

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Home Improvement Thread

One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnuttz View Post
    So essentially, someone else could control your thermostat.

I won't be having that shit in my home.

No internet-connected refrigerator, no smart device that controls my home's appliances.

Fuck every bit of that.

Those things aren't so time-consuming that I have to free up my schedule in such a manner to so heavily rely on technology to do it for me.
    If they can figure out my login I suppose they could. But, I wish them luck in that little venture.
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Iamtdg View Post
    If they can figure out my login I suppose they could. But, I wish them luck in that little venture.
    Is it loveyajerry ?
    Since Day One

Quote Originally Posted by L.T. Fan View Post
    What's a construction home? That is a new term to me.
    New construction home, means that the house he is buying is being built.

The one I got is pretty cool. Full-on scheduling abilities. Ability to adjust it remotely from an app on your phone. I like it. Not sure how much the Nest is, but this one I got for like 50 bucks on a black Friday deal.
    Well you got a steal then. The new Honeywell one I was looking at is in the 220 range. The Nest is 250. But it has sensors that track what times of the day you are home or away and it uses all that information to tailor the home to your needs. Obviously connects to the wifi so that it can gather information about weather patterns that way. Some pretty crazy high tech smart home stuff. I think they both can connect and work with most smart home devices like an Echo as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnuttz View Post
    So essentially, someone else could control your thermostat.

I won't be having that shit in my home.

No internet-connected refrigerator, no smart device that controls my home's appliances.

Fuck every bit of that.

Those things aren't so time-consuming that I have to free up my schedule in such a manner to so heavily rely on technology to do it for me.
    I thought you were about to drop a terminator reference. It's not lazy as much as it can be extra energy efficient. It can also alert you to problems, like if your home isn't heating or cooling properly. I must say though, I'm a sucker for this hi tech stuff. I'vw been thinking about getting the refrigerator with a camera inside that connects to the internet. The problem is I have a pretty new refrigerator already that is very nice. Seems like a waste.

I just bought and installed the Ring Pro. Motion-activated doorbell camera with ability to do live look-ins and two way speaker. Motion alerts and doorbell rings go straight to my phone and I can view live video feed and have conversation from wherever.

Took 30 minutes to install.

Haha, silly guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
    New construction home, means that the house he is buying is being built.
    Okay thanks. Must be a regional thing. We used to term them custom or spec.
    Since Day One

Quote Originally Posted by pdom View Post
    I just bought and installed the Ring Pro. Motion-activated doorbell camera with ability to do live look-ins and two way speaker. Motion alerts and doorbell rings go straight to my phone and I can view live video feed and have conversation from wherever.

Took 30 minutes to install.
    I have one of those also.
    Since Day One

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
    I thought you were about to drop a terminator reference. It's not lazy as much as it can be extra energy efficient. It can also alert you to problems, like if your home isn't heating or cooling properly. I must say though, I'm a sucker for this hi tech stuff. I'vw been thinking about getting the refrigerator with a camera inside that connects to the internet. The problem is I have a pretty new refrigerator already that is very nice. Seems like a waste.

Well yeah, eventually we're going to be so heavily reliant on smart devices that we're not gonna be good for shit.

And if it's network enabled, it can always be controlled by someone else.

Let's not get so lazy that we can't look in our own damn refrigerators before going grocery shopping.