Archer: Cowboys will play it close to vest in free agency

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dallas threw the ball 550 times that year as opposed to 438 rushes.

In 2014 they ran it 30 more times than passing.

The 2009 team gave up 70 3rd down conversions, 2014 86 3rd down conversions.

The 2009 offense had 89 3rd down conversions, 2014 95 3rd down conversions.

The time of possession was about the same.

It was a very good defense using any metric.
It was way better then 2014 if that is what you're trying to say. But then again most people thought the 2014 defense was going to be all time/epic bad.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I know, it's why I wonder what our 2015 defense would have looked like if we had even a respectable offense.
We'll never know and it sucks. Maybe Hardy and others don't get exhausted as easily, react that much more quickly, and create more turnovers.

The defense lost control of so many games in the last 5 minutes, and that extra gas in the tank would have been huge.

We wasted a great season from the OL. It's not like we're going to be able to keep them together forever.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
2009 was better than 2014, except in creating turnovers.

Neither were the kind of defense you could lean on to keep the game close while the offense struggled.

So to me the term "top five" carries little meaning.

Situational defense matters most. Do you hold your ground after a turnover changes momentum, or do you make Sidney Rice look like a Hall of Famer?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We'll never know and it sucks. Maybe Hardy and others don't get exhausted as easily, react that much more quickly, and create more turnovers.

The defense lost control of so many games in the last 5 minutes, and that extra gas in the tank would have been huge.

We wasted a great season from the OL. It's not like we're going to be able to keep them together forever.
We also wasted one of the few healthy years in Sean Lee's career. It's kind of depressing.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
ball control helps keep the score down, like 2014.
Sure it does, but that's true of any defense. The old Ryan Jets were #1 that year, and of course a great rushing game helped them, too. Doesn't mean they didn't actually have a damn good defense.

And I'm not sure what "not stout" means. They were #4 in the league in rush defense yards.

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned
It was way better then 2014 if that is what you're trying to say. But then again most people thought the 2014 defense was going to be all time/epic bad.
What I am saying is that it was a very good defense period.

I don't know why some are trying to poke holes in what they did.

That defense carried that team, it should have been a #1 seed it lost 2 games only giving up 17 points.

Remember how much trouble that team had in goal line situations?

Jiggyfly

Banned
2009 was better than 2014, except in creating turnovers.

Neither were the kind of defense you could lean on to keep the game close while the offense struggled.

So to me the term "top five" carries little meaning.

Situational defense matters most. Do you hold your ground after a turnover changes momentum, or do you make Sidney Rice look like a Hall of Famer?
The team did exactly this several times.

At the Eagles and Redskins and we should have beat Denver but could not get in the end zone multiple times.

Top Bottom