Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Romo will make someone into a star if they'll let him.

Cotton

Staff member

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
:towel

That's going to be a handful right there.

Cotton

Staff member
Sean Lee in team drills, Mo Claiborne progressing for Cowboys

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- Slowly but surely the Dallas Cowboys defense is taking some shape with the minicamp beginning Tuesday.

For the first time since tearing his right ACL last spring, linebacker Sean Lee took part in team drills. Through the course of the organized team activities he added more to his plate, culminating with three straight days of seven-on-seven snaps that amounted to 14 snaps.

Linebacker Rolando McClain is not practicing but is around the team for the first time since undergoing offseason knee surgery. Cornerback Morris Claiborne worked through individual drills as he comes back from a torn patellar tendon that knocked him out of 12 games last season.

“So far, so good,” Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said of Lee’s performance.

Lee has not played in a game since Dec. 9, 2013 and has yet to play a full season in his career because of injuries. But Marinelli does not find himself holding his breath.

“Nah, you can’t,” Marinelli said. “I don’t want to live that way. That’s not football. You just gotta go. Gotta go.”

The plan all along for Claiborne was to be ready for the start of training camp. New York Giants receiver Victor Cruz suffered a similar injury last season and is on the same timetable. The Cowboys want to err on the side of caution with Claiborne’s recovery because of the tricky nature of his injury for cornerbacks.

Because of the backpedaling required by a cornerback, it puts more stress on the player’s quadriceps. Claiborne also had arthroscopic surgery on his other knee to clear up what has been near-yearly cases of tendinitis.

“He’s just done a really good job in coming back, getting his body right and getting back healthy,” Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett said. “He’s taking full advantage of those reps in the walk-through period and the individual stuff. We’ve had a plan for him right from the start. He’s really, every threshold we’ve asked him to reach, he’s done. We just want to stick with that pace. He’ll have a good four or five weeks before training camp to really kinda get his conditioning right, get his strength right and hopefully be ready to go once we start training camp.”

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Rolando McClain at Cowboys minicamp but not practicing

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- Linebacker Rolando McClain was around the team for the first time since undergoing knee surgery this offseason as the Dallas Cowboys opened minicamp but he was not in a talkative mood.

He joked that he would talk when Dez Bryant shows up.

McClain has spent most of the offseason in Alabama rehabbing his knee, skipping the voluntary organized team activities (OTAs). He took part in the walk-through portion of Tuesday’s minicamp practice and did a little rehab on the field before heading to the locker room.

He is not expected to take any on-field snaps in the final two days of the minicamp.

The Cowboys are hopeful he will be able to fully practice when the team arrives in Oxnard, California, on July 28.

“I don’t want to make any projections, but certainly he’s made a lot of progress and we feel good about where he is,” coach Jason Garrett said.

Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said, “He looks good to me.”

Acquired last July in a trade from the Baltimore Ravens, McClain was credited with 108 tackles, according to the coaches, last season despite missing four games. The Cowboys re-signed him to a one-year deal that included a $500,000 signing bonus and $750,000 base salary. He also has a $250,000 workout bonus but it’s unclear if he will earn it since he was away rehabbing.

“When he is healthy and playing, you can see that he can be a good football player,” Garrett said. “We tried to create an environment for him to come be his best. We understand where he came from at the University of Alabama. We know those people down there really well and we had great visits with them about how we can help bring out the best in him. And I think he just embraced the opportunity. He was at the right place in his life to focus on football again and was able to step into a void that we had.”

Cotton

Staff member

Jiggyfly

Banned
Eye issue has kept DE DeMarcus Lawrence from practicing, but he’s ‘perfectly fine now’

Brandon George / Reporter Follow @DMN_George Email bgeorge@dallasnews.com
Published: June 16, 2015 3:14 pm

IRVING — Dallas Cowboys defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence was back at practice Tuesday after not participating in the final week of organized team activities a week ago.

“It really wasn’t no injury at all,” Lawrence said. “Something happened with my eye so I had to get it dilated so when I went out into the sun it was hard for me to see. It had me dizzy. So I just took those days off to get back healthy. I’m perfectly fine now.”

Lawrence was wearing a shield on his helmet Tuesday to help protect his eye. He said he last wore one in college at Boise State.

The Cowboys have Lawrence working at first-team left defensive end in his second season. Lawrence said he’s added about 10 pounds and is now playing at about 260.

“I feel a lot better. I feel like I got faster, stronger, bigger,” Lawrence said. “It’s always about taking the next step. Everybody on this team wants to be great. We ain’t settling for mediocre this year.”

BRIEFLY …

Baylor coach Art Briles was at Cowboys’ practice Tuesday to watch some of his former players. He spent some time visiting with coach Jason Garrett. … Starting safety J.J. Wilcox didn’t practice Tuesday because of a right foot injury. Jeff Heath filled in for him with the starters. … The first-team offensive line Tuesday included Ron Leary at left guard and Darrion Weems at right tackle. … CB Morris Claiborne still isn’t participating in drills as he continues his rehab. … LB Anthony Hitchens didn’t participate in individual or team drills Tuesday but was on the field in uniform. … OT Ryan Miller wasn’t at practice Tuesday. … Several players didn’t practice Tuesday and instead worked on the side with athletic trainers, including LBs Cameron Lawrence, Andrew Gachkar, Justin Jackson and Mark Nzeocha; DT Davon Coleman; DEs Kenneth Boatright and Ryan Russell; OTs Chaz Green, Laurence Gibson and Reshod Fortenberry; and WR Reggie Dunn

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Scout’s Eye: Wilson’s Progress, Hardy’s Shift Among 12 Thoughts From Minicamp

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 5:35 PM CDT

By Bryan Broaddus

Football Analyst/Scout

@BryanBroaddus

IRVING, Texas – Twelve things that stood out from my first day of watching practice at the Cowboys’ three-day minicamp.

1. Rod Marinelli spoke post-practice on why he likes to take this time of the year and mix his defensive linemen around to see different combinations that he might have going into training camp. One of the most productive groups he had going was DeMarcus Lawrence at left end, Tyrone Crawford and Greg Hardy inside and Jeremy Mincey off the right side. Marinelli is not big on bringing extra rushers and with this group he just rushed four and that pressure forced Tony Romo to have to throw the ball away.

2. With the way that Jason Garrett runs these practices you are always going to see players that compete every snap and practice the right way when it comes to protecting each other. There was a particular play that made me smile during the two-minute drill, and that was when Sean Lee was battling Jason Witten three yards away from the goal line. Witten was working inside on Lee, who was in position on the route -- which caused Romo to have to throw the ball high and to Witten’s left. Witten made the catch, but as soon as he had the ball under control, Lee was there to wrap him up around the waist. Witten then lunged for the goal line, but Lee had none of it and jerked Witten straight back in an effort to prevent the score. On the play both Witten and Lee wound up on the ground in a pile both looking intently at the official for a signal.

3. It was a productive day once again for Terrance Williams, who made three really nice catches down the field from Tony Romo. Two of the routes came from the outside and the third one from the slot. Williams is really doing a nice job of running his routes, finding space and finishing the play.

4. It is amazing the feel that Lance Dunbar has when he is lined up as a receiver. Dunbar doesn’t look uncomfortable at all and the routes that he is able to run looks natural and with flow. His ability to play in space has improved to the point where putting him outside or in the slot is not a bad option at all.

5. Good opportunity for Deontay Greenberry to get a couple of snaps with the first offense as a vertical route runner. Greenberry took Brandon Carr down the field, but the veteran corner was able to maintain position, and, with Romo’s pass short, knock the ball away. Greenberry and Antwan Goodley were the most noticeable of the rookie receivers on Tuesday.

6. Jeff Heath was the first safety off the bench when J.J. Wilcox was unable to practice due to a foot injury -- which is not believed to be serious. Heath was working with Barry Church, but the play of the day made by a safety was Corey White on a crossing route against James Hanna. White was in man coverage and there was a moment of separation, but he was able to close the cushion on Hanna and knock the ball away.

7. This was the first practice where I have seen Greg Hardy play as a left defensive end. I had seen him do it at Carolina, but not here with the Cowboys. Hardy has had some really fun battles against Tyron Smith, but this time he was matched up against Darrion Weems which had to be an eye-opening experience. Weems was able to hold his own for the most part, but there was one snap where Hardy got an explosive jump off the ball and Weems had no chance of slowing him down. This has been a common theme for Hardy in these practices.

8. If you had a chance to watch MiniCamp LIVE on DallasCowboys.com from Wednesday, you would have seen David Helman and I focus on Darren McFadden and his return to the practice field after missing some practices with a sore hamstring. McFadden looked quick and decisive with the ball in his hands. There were no wasted steps or movements. He was in attack mode. It was more of what I expected from him when he was signed earlier in the year, and if he can continue to practice this way, he will give Joseph Randle a run for that starting job.

9. With no Anthony Hitchens on the practice field, it was up to Jasper Brinkley to play the role as the Mike with the first defense and nickel linebacker next to Damien Wilson. Just watching Wilson play, and I don’t believe this is because of the injuries to the other linebackers but I have a feeling that these defensive coaches are getting him ready for a larger role in the defense. He has that look of a player they are seeing if he can handle the workload both mentally and physically. I observed this same situation with Hitchens last season.

10. Mackenzy Bernadeau and Shane McDermott are working with the second offense at center and guard. When Bernadeau takes his turn at center, McDermott is the guard and when McDermott lines up at center, then you see Bernadeau take the snaps at guard. McDermott was a natural center while in college at Miami, but the fact that he can line up and function as well as he has in these practices says a lot about his ability. He is going to get a ton of work in these preseason games with a good shot of hanging on with the practice squad.

11. I haven’t seen the plays from A.J. Jenkins that I thought I would have. His tape from the Chiefs was much better running routes and getting open. He just hasn’t looked like a veteran player to this point that could help the team. These rookies have me more excited in what they could potentially bring over him.

12. Thanks to my great teammate Nick Eatman for buying the crew lunch today – it hit the spot.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Lets hope it stays that way.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Lets hope it stays that way.
I would prefer him at CB honestly.

Carr will be gone next year, so will Claiborne.

Therefore, if you are wishing him to safety then you clearly are advocating another CB in the first in 2016.

So noted.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Scout’s Eye: McClain’s Return, Byron Jones’ Versatility & 10 Other Minicamp Thoughts

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 4:00 PM CDT

IRVING, Texas – Inclement weather forced the Cowboys into AT&T Stadium for Wednesday’s minicamp practice – not that anyone was complaining.

Working away from the rain and the humidity was nice, and we were also afforded a closer look than normal at these offseason practices. Here are 12 notes that stood out to me from the sidelines.

1. Another solid practice for Darren McFadden carrying the ball. It is clear that he not only has the ability to extend the play once he gets through the hole, but when it comes to creating on the move he has that stop-start quickness that DeMarco Murray lacked. There is a noticeable difference when the ball starts play-side, but it quickly ends up on the back side when McFadden is carrying it.

2. Brandon Carr was back at right corner on Wednesday. Carr was beaten down the field by Terrance Williams on a vertical route and a slant off play action, but later in the drive, Carr battled back with a nice stop in the red zone to deny Williams the chance for a score. Carr also had a chance for an interception on an overthrow by Romo, but it appeared that the ball surprised him and he was unable to come up with the catch.

3. This practice was by far the best for La’el Collins when it came to finishing blocks on the second level. I have to admit that I had some concerns about Collins and his lack of foot quickness --especially at offensive tackle -- but there were some snaps even at guard where you could see him struggle to get his man secured on the zone reach. There were plays where he was a step late and missed the flow linebacker. It was encouraging to see him take a better angle and lock down his man. Just a note as well – his power and punch have been outstanding at guard. Plays with some snap.

4. Give Jerome Henderson and Joe Baker some credit for the way that their secondary played during practice on Wednesday. In studying practice, there were not many opportunities for these quarterbacks to make open throws. There were plenty of contested throws throughout the day.

5. It is not often that I write about many range plays from these safeties -- especially Barry Church -- due to the fact that he spends the majority of his coverage snaps down in the box. Church had a nice breakup on Terrance Williams on a vertical route down the right sideline. Church playing off the hash to that side was able to read Romo all the way and was able to track Williams the moment the ball arrived, knocking it away. Church showed nice football awareness and the burst to close and finish.

6. Rolando McClain took some part in the pat-and-go portion of practice. This is where the defenders run up the field in coverage against air, working on their ball skills. McClain appeared to be a little stiff in his movements and nowhere near ready to put on a helmet, pads and be a part of a normal practice. These next five weeks before camp opens are going to be huge in whether we see him or not. I don’t want to doubt the player or question why he is rehabbing in Alabama, but if he was here in Dallas during those weeks – I know for sure he would be ready.

7. I know it jerseys and helmets, but the one thing you can see in practice is athletic ability and I have noticed this with Corey White. It hasn’t mattered whether White has lined up at corner or safety, he has shown awareness and cover ability. On Tuesday, he made a play at safety covering James Hanna. On Wednesday, while lined up at corner was able to knock the ball away from George Farmer on a slant where it appeared that the catch had a chance to be made.

8. I feel bad for Chaz Green and the time that he will now miss going into training camp with his hip injury. It is most likely that he will start camp on the inactive list, and this will put him further behind his other line mates. In talking with the coaches they were pleased with his progress from the rookie camp until the work with the veterans started. They felt like he was picking things up well mentally, but it appears that things he learns in the classroom will be the only things for a while.

9. The defensive coaches continue to roll Byron Jones between corner and safety. Corey White was the backup on Tuesday at safety while Jones played corner. On Wednesday, those roles were switched. Jones was in the back half while White was on the outside. I was asked by a fan on Twitter if I thought that if White played well enough at safety, would that allow Jones to stay at corner. If it is about playing your four or five guys and Jones is one of those guys, I have no problems pairing him with Barry Church and not looking back if it gets him on the field.

10. I love the practices at AT&T Stadium because it allows me the opportunity to get right in the middle of the drills on the field. My favorite thing is to go down in the corner and study the defensive line as they work for Rod Marinelli, Leon Lett and Ben Bloom. As a former scout, I appreciate how much coaching goes into the position and what they are able to accomplish in the time they have to work. The combination that I really enjoy watching is when DeMarcus Lawrence, Tyrone Crawford, Greg Hardy and Randy Gregory are all coming off the ball. There is so much explosive quickness when the ball is snapped – the group is like a blur. From what I have seen it just appears that these players are going to have success getting to the quarterback this season.

11. Speaking of Greg Hardy, Jason Garrett told the media that the plan is to continue to get Hardy as much work as possible and play him in the preseason much like they did with Orlando Scandrick when he was initially suspended for the first four games of the 2014 season.

12. Thanks to all the fans along the sidelines during practice that were so nice to say how much they enjoy our work on DallasCowboys.com – that means a lot.

Top Bottom