Sturm's Draft Series

Jiggyfly

Banned
3rd because you don't think WR is as big a need for Dallas and want to address other areas or 3rd because you don't think he is worth a 1st or 2nd? Just curious.
I don't think he is as big a need and I don't think he is worth a top of the 2nd pick but that has more to do with some early scouting reports it seems his stock is rising.

Mainly because I think there is more value in the top of the 2nd than him.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I don't think he is as big a need and I don't think he is worth a top of the 2nd pick but that has more to do with some early scouting reports it seems his stock is rising.

Mainly because I think there is more value in the top of the 2nd than him.
I'm in the same boat as far as need goes. Would love to have the guy but think there are other spots that need to be addressed with guys rated in the same area as him.

dallen

Senior Tech
Coleman seems like he would be a good complement to Dez

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm in the same boat as far as need goes. Would love to have the guy but think there are other spots that need to be addressed with guys rated in the same area as him.
I struggle with this a little like RB. I'd really like a WR. I know that Terrance Williams could be in his last year with Dallas and that makes it a perfect time to draft and develop his replacement. I also feel like we lack that game changing speed on offense to stretch the field at times. But much like RB, I don't view it as a desperate need for the up coming season. Terrance, Dez and Mighty Mouse make for an excellent starting 3 WR's. We have a young guy I like in Brice Butler. I'd rather address the defense early as I think we need to continue that building process.

Third round is where I start to consider RB's and WR's right now. Of course draft day is always a surprise with guys who fall.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[h=1]Bob Sturm's 2016 Draft Profile Series: Ole Miss' Laremy Tunsil may be more promising than Cowboys' Tyron Smith[/h]
By Bob Sturm, Special contributor Contact Bob Sturmon Twitter:@SportsSturm

I have never been a scout or a NFL General Manager, but I am willing to watch a ton of football. By watching about 200 snaps of each prospect, we can really get a feel for a player and then know what we are talking about a bit better. It is no exact science, but the NFL hasn't quite figured out drafting either, so we are going to do the best we can.To read more about the 2016 NFL Draft Project, Click Here.

Laremy Tunsil, LT, Ole Miss - 6'5, 305 - Junior - #78

Just a few days since word surfaced about a 6-second Hall of Fame presentation on behalf of the QB Brett Favre, I am tempted to make this an incredibly quick profile for a player who does not need many words to decide whether he is a great prospect or not. Perhaps, I should just say, "He is Laremy Tunsil" and go sit down.

Now, for the benefit of those who have never heard of Laremy Tunsil, let's actually give a fair profile of the player who is probably the best football player in this draft. A 5-star recruit and a player who was suspended this year for 7 games for receiving improper benefits - joining AJ Green and Todd Gurley as other SEC stars to miss action for this - he is the prototypical left tackle. He is an amazing athlete who has great feet, awesome recovery quickness, long arms, and the strength that is often missing with the most athletic tackles who appear to be big tight ends.

There was a time in the fall when someone mentioned to me that Ole Miss might put 3 players in the Top 5 of the draft with LaQuon Treadwell and Robert Nkemdiche as well as Tunsil. Now, the smoke is clearing and I don't think that is in play anymore, but this particular prospect could very easily go as the first pick in the draft. He is 21 years old and looks every bit as promising - if not more so - as a young Tyron Smith.

What I liked: He is fantastic in nearly aspect of playing tackle. When he returned from his suspension in 2015, Laremy Tunsil was asked to take on the potential top pick of the 2017 draft, Myles Garrett of Texas A&M. He did so with wonderful ease and Garrett's only plays of note were made when Ole Miss got cute and asked Tunsil to do something else. Head to head, Tunsil was fine all night long. Then, he faced Emmanuel Ogbah from Oklahoma State in the bowl game and the results were even more impressive as Ogbah switched sides at times to try the other tackle out. Tunsil doesn't lose. In fact, he really doesn't ever have to recover because he is squared up perfectly at nearly every moment. His sternum is perfectly in the middle of the rusher at all times. Then, on run plays, he finishes all snaps with ferocity and gets to the 2nd level and clears out linebackers like it is nothing. In my years of doing this, I can't recall a tackle that has been this good. Almost nothing remarkable happens on the left flank for the Rebs because Tunsil has it all locked down.

What I did not like: In the 4 games I watched from the 2015 season, I did not see him make a mistake except for a false start against LSU. One false start in well over 200 snaps. Beyond that, he suffered a broken leg against TCU in the bowl game of 2014 when he was rolled up on from behind and has dealt with a few other minor issues with injury. Also, the suspension might make some ask character questions. Loaner cars seem like rather small potatoes in the NFL, but it might be an issue to some, I admit. But, there is not much not to like here.

Summary and Potential Fit For the Cowboys: He is a franchise player at left tackle which I think we saw in these playoffs is a pretty big deal. If Tunsil is there to help shut down the pass rush of the Panthers or the Broncos, the playoffs might have gone differently. He is what every team needs and he is young and appears to be the type of guy that might be elite for a solid decade straight. In his matchups against the SEC's best, he won with ease and alledgedly gave up 2 sacks in 3 seasons (which I never was able to find). Would the Cowboys be tempted to do something at #4? That would require trying to figure out if he or Tyron Smith could slide over to right tackle which neither would want to do, but imagine an offensive line with All-Pro capability at all 5 positions. But, rest your head. He is gone in the Top 3, I believe.

You can view plenty of his tape here at Draftbreakdown.com.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
I believe Tunsil can truly be a special talent, but lets be honest nobody is as good as Tyron Smith. Plus Tyron is like 24 years old and been in the NFL for 4 years

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Another thing, imagine both of them as our Tackles? Good lord you could get Troy Hambrick back there and he'd run for 2000

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Tunsil will be 22 when the season starts, by the time Tyron was 22 he already had about 2 full years of experience under his belt. Tunsil is a fantastic prospect, probably safer than Smith coming out because he played at LT and doesn't need to add weight like Smith did, but in no world do I think he has the potential to be better than what Smith has become, which is arguably the best OL in the league and a future HOF'er.

He is one of the very few prospects in this draft who I think would be a top 5 prospect no matter the year pretty much, so it's nice to know that he is almost a lock to go top 3 and push others down.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Another thing, imagine both of them as our Tackles? Good lord you could get Troy Hambrick back there and he'd run for 2000
That's why I could not understand people dismissing him out of hand.

Especially in a draft this bereft of top end talent.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No we wouldn't and people will still cry that we need a first round RB. We already have the best pass protection in the NFL. Adding another pass protector isn't the path to the superbowl.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Darren McFadden averaged 4.6 YPC and finished top 5 in the league in rushing despite basically not playing in 4 games, all without Romo and Dez more or less. Our run-blocking doesn't have much room for improvement.

Think about this, 28 year old Darren McFadden, a RB who hadn't even been able to average 3.5 YPC for 3 straight years, ran for 17 less yards on only 10 less carries than Todd Gurley.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Darren McFadden averaged 4.6 YPC and finished top 5 in the league in rushing despite basically not playing in 4 games, all without Romo and Dez more or less. Our run-blocking doesn't have much room for improvement.
Exactly this.

Jiggyfly

Banned

Think about this, 28 year old Darren McFadden, a RB who hadn't even been able to average 3.5 YPC for 3 straight years, ran for 17 less yards on only 10 less carries than Todd Gurley.
It's not so much about improving the o-line as ensuring there is no dropoff.

Free could fall off a cliff at any moment, this is about thinking long term.

There is a legitimate argument for making that pick.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

If Tunsil is drafted he immediately starts over Free and immediately is 5 times as good as
Free.

Free can be replaced by a lot of different journeymen type OTs and you wouldn't notice it much. Chaz Green might be equal to the task someday soon. Tunsil is all about improvement.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Yea, I get it, but the easy counter argument is that the better plan would be to just draft a versatile type of OL in the mid rounds who could either compete with Green as the backup to Free or we kick out Collins or Free to RT and slide the backup in to OG.

Either way, Tunsil won't be there at 3 so it's moot.

GShock

DCC 4Life
It's the BPA argument, right?

The Lions had Suh and took Fairley. They had Roy Williams and took Megatron (no, it didn't end well, but ...)
The Packers had Favre and took Rodgers.
The Texans had Mario Williams and took JJ Watt.

There is definitely no *need* for a 1st round offensive lineman (though we are potentially an injury away from having issues).

But if he is potentially the BPA, I think we at least have to do our due diligence.

Jiggyfly

Banned
If Tunsil is drafted he immediately starts over Free and immediately is 5 times as good as
Free.

Free can be replaced by a lot of different journeymen type OTs and you wouldn't notice it much. Chaz Green might be equal to the task someday soon. Tunsil is all about improvement.
I am not saying he is not a much better player, I am saying he is a better player and he gives you certainty
moving forward.

This is going back to people saying he should not be a consideration because that would be overkill with the o-line resources.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yea, I get it, but the easy counter argument is that the better plan would be to just draft a versatile type of OL in the mid rounds who could either compete with Green as the backup to Free or we kick out Collins or Free to RT and slide the backup in to OG.

Either way, Tunsil won't be there at 3 so it's moot.
I never said there was not a legitimate argument against drafting him, some have said he should not even be considered.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's the BPA argument, right?

The Lions had Suh and took Fairley. They had Roy Williams and took Megatron (no, it didn't end well, but ...)
They actually took Roy after Charles Rogers as well. But yes, it's the BPA argument except taken to the extreme. Like hey, if you've already taken 3 first round O-lineman, lets take a fourth. It's not like we missed on them either. We have 3 probowl O-lineman and probably a fourth coming soon in Collins. So you're literally saying I have a position with 4 young probowl talents, and I think it's worthwhile to use one of the highest picks in the draft to take another. It's just silly at this point. If Tunsil is that good, then trade down because someone else should want him badly.

Top Bottom