Dez considering holding out for opener...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly. You win nothing by doing this nonsense. Just pay the man. Don't get cute.
I mean I understand trying to get the price down as much as possible for the cap. I certainly don't want to go the Calvin Johnson route. I mean you can't cripple your cap with his contract but certainly we should be able to get something done. The fact that we haven't made a new offer in a year really concerns me.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
ESPN reported earlier that Dez is wanting 17mil a year. You willing to pay the man that much?
Absolutely not.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I mean I understand trying to get the price down as much as possible for the cap. I certainly don't want to go the Calvin Johnson route. I mean you can't cripple your cap with his contract but certainly we should be able to get something done. The fact that we haven't made a new offer in a year really concerns me.
This is what the Cowboys front office thought, and look where it's gotten them.

This is a prideful player who believes he's the best and wants the biggest WR deal in NFL history. Unfortunately the idiotic Lions set that market so high they've made signing this kind of deal pretty much impossible.

I don't see Demaryius getting signed anytime soon either and the same exact scenario is going to happen with Julio Jones and AJ Green in 2016 (except they'll have Dez and Thomas' salaries jacking up the franchise numbers even more).

I'm with the Cowboys on this, let the man go if he can't accept a reasonable deal. I'd much rather have him for two years and acquire several talented WR's who know what the Hell they are doing (a rarity in Dallas) than hold the cap hostage and makes it impossible to re-sign good players or free agents.

You know the second you sign this back-breaking deal he's going to get hurt. It's inevitable, and just not worth it.

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The two sides just need to come together on a long term deal in the 13 mil a year range with a good sized signing bonus. It isn't rocket science. The franchise tag for a WR right now is 13 mil. Dez is a franchise WR so give him a contract like one. The Cowboys last offer was something in the 11 mil a year range with a pretty small signing bonus of only 20 mil. If they think that's going to get the job done on possibly the NFL's best WR they are crazy.

D

Deuce

He needs to keep this shit quiet. While I want him to get paid, claiming he needs security when cashing $13M in one year is insanity.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He needs to keep this shit quiet. While I want him to get paid, claiming he needs security when cashing $13M in one year is insanity.
I tend to agree with you. I get what he is saying but only in the world of professional sports is 13 million dollars not enough to secure someone's financial future. Does Dez deserve a 40 million dollar signing bonus? Of course he does. Supply and demand dictates that he deserves that type of money. However if he doesn't get it this year it's not like he will go to the poor house either.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Exactly. If it was as simple as he is trying to make it sound, we could off him 13 million per season for 6 years, with a 26 mil signing bonus. But I bet he wouldn't take it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly. If it was as simple as he is trying to make it sound, we could off him 13 million per season for 6 years, with a 26 mil signing bonus. But I bet he wouldn't take it.
Like I said, the Cowboys last offer was like 11 mil per year with 20 mil signing bonus. I don't expect him to take that either. I'm not sure if he would accept the contract you suggest because Dallas has never offered that much. Although I think you'd probably have to up the guaranteed amount.

Genghis Khan

Like I said, the Cowboys last offer was like 11 mil per year with 20 mil signing bonus. I don't expect him to take that either. I'm not sure if he would accept the contract you suggest because Dallas has never offered that much. Although I think you'd probably have to up the guaranteed amount.
True, but what I'm saying is that his tweet suggests he doesn't have a problem with the salary from the franchise tag, just that he wants a long-term deal. I'm calling bullshit, because I think if they put the franchise tag salary into a long-term contract, including a guarantee equal to 2 years of franchise tags, he'd still balk.

Jiggyfly

Banned
True, but what I'm saying is that his tweet suggests he doesn't have a problem with the salary from the franchise tag, just that he wants a long-term deal. I'm calling bullshit, because I think if they put the franchise tag salary into a long-term contract, including a guarantee equal to 2 years of franchise tags, he'd still balk.
He should balk at anything under 35 million guaranteed, if he gets hurt this year he does not get franchised next year, so this idea that another 13 million plus is guranteed is fictional.

Genghis Khan

He should balk at anything under 35 million guaranteed, if he gets hurt this year he does not get franchised next year, so this idea that another 13 million plus is guranteed is fictional.
You appear to be missing the point.

Jiggyfly

Banned
You appear to be missing the point.
Maybe I did.

You seem to be saying he should be happy with the total of this and next years franchise total as his long term contract bonus money.

That's still under 30 guaranteed which is still on the low side IMO.

The other part is for the people saying he should be happy to be franchised 2 years in a row.

Cotton

Staff member
No way should Dez be happy being franchised two years in a row. He deserves a long term insurance deal. He has done nothing but exactly what has been asked of him. I would sign him for 13-15 per over 5 years with about 45 mill guaranteed and count my blessings I have the best WR in the league on my team for the next 5 years.

Jiggyfly

Banned
No way should Dez be happy being franchised two years in a row. He deserves a long term insurance deal. He has done nothing but exactly what has been asked of him. I would sign him for 13-15 per over 5 years with about 45 mill guaranteed and count my blessings I have the best WR in the league on my team for the next 5 years.
I think that yearly number is a bit overblown, the guaranteed money is the sticking point.

Cotton

Staff member
I think that yearly number is a bit overblown, the guaranteed money is the sticking point.
What do you think his yearly number should be? I think he jumps at the 45 mill guaranteed.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I really don't feel sorry for Bryant or for athletes in general when the expect to have their entire life's earnings guarenteed with a contract. They then become in the same category as the golden parachute gang. Those SOBs think they deservre to be paid millions for being fired for incompentency. It's a lot of entrenched BS that has gotten completely out of hand. Anyone here have a contract that you continue to get your paycheck and a huge bonus if you get fired?

Jiggyfly

Banned
I really don't feel sorry for Bryant or for athletes in general when the expect to have their entire life's earnings guarenteed with a contract. They then become in the same category as the golden parachute gang. Those SOBs think they deservre to be paid millions for being fired for incompentency. It's a lot of entrenched BS that has gotten completely out of hand. Anyone here have a contract that you continue to get your paycheck and a huge bonus if you get fired?
You sure are painting with a broad brush, how many guys do you think fit this criteria on this team?

Are you saying if you were fired you would just give up any money owed you in a contract?

And really what about incompetance and Dez go together?

Top Bottom