Randy Gregory suspended 4 games

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
My guess is they'll be more active in FA this year. They sat on their hands last year and it blew up in their face, so I can see them taking a more aggressive approach in bringing in an impact player or two.

Honestly though, truth be told, the Cowboys aren't even close to being contenders. But as we all know, Jerry doesn't see it that way. 2014 was an anomaly but they'll approach things like 2015 was the anomaly.

I can't see them being extremely active. Not sitting on their hands inactive, but certainly not aggressive enough to clear the board and be able to draft clean. Somewhere in the middle. That's not all that great either as they will probably overpay for average talent, then keep them around because they did.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

So that strengthens my belief that they'll pass on a QB in the 1st or 2nd round. I think 3rd round is the earliest they'll entertain drafting a QB.
By that stage, why bother.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The first stringers by themselves are probably contenders on paper.
I do not think so, if you and I have the same definition for contenders.

We have issues at 2nd WR, NT, MLB, CB and S as things stand now with pending free agents and figuring for departures. That is actually overlooking other possible weak starters.

The problem is we have shit for depth across our entire team. I mean, can you name one position we are set for depth?
Placekicker. Don't need depth there. :art

GShock

DCC 4Life
Any doubt this guy will crack if we face a pressure game or situation?

Going into his 21st NFL game, he will have played in 5 with zero sacks, and a year-long suspension just around the corner.

Numbnuts.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Yeah, let's keep drafting guys in the 2nd we think are first rounders even though they slid for a reason.

'omg, we got a top 10 player in the 2nd round!!111!!!'

Jiggyfly

Banned
The first stringers by themselves are probably contenders on paper. The problem is we have shit for depth across our entire team. I mean, can you name one position we are set for depth?
O-line

Jiggyfly

Banned
My guess is they'll be more active in FA this year. They sat on their hands last year and it blew up in their face, so I can see them taking a more aggressive approach in bringing in an impact player or two.

Honestly though, truth be told, the Cowboys aren't even close to being contenders. But as we all know, Jerry doesn't see it that way. 2014 was an anomaly but they'll approach things like 2015 was the anomaly. Meaning....the "we're only a player or two away" mindset will be in full effect.

So that strengthens my belief that they'll pass on a QB in the 1st or 2nd round. I think 3rd round is the earliest they'll entertain drafting a QB.
How is signing Greg Hardy sitting on your hands.:shrug

Jiggyfly

Banned
We need a center-guard. Don't think Bernadeau is all that. Maybe Green too for swing tackle.
We still have Leary who is restricted and Berny is a very serviceable backup, Green is a question ? but we could sustain injuries and still function at a high level.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Kinda, it was like six weeks after free agency started. We were bargain hunting.
Hardy was no bargain and he was one of the biggest names in FA.

That is not anywhere near sitting on your hands.

I know it's inconceivable but maybe he was the plan heading into last offseason.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

I know it's inconceivable but maybe he was the plan heading into last offseason.
It's a weird ass plan considering how long he was nearly suspended for.

townsend

Banned

:lol "Plan going into the offseason" what team do you think this is? If this was a team with "plan" we wouldn't have been trading for backup receivers, running backs, and QBs in the first month of the season.
The offseason is a line of slot machine that Jerry puts quarters in until training camp.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
:lol "Plan going into the offseason" what team do you think this is? If this was a team with "plan" we wouldn't have been trading for backup receivers, running backs, and QBs in the first month of the season.
The offseason is a line of slot machine that Jerry puts quarters in until training camp.
Jerry Jones is just a dog chasing cars.

dallen

Senior Tech
I think we have "The Plan". I just don't think eternal optimist Jerry bothers coming up with a contingency plan if his first option doesn't work out. His brain doesn't work that way

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think bargain hunting is a plan when you are cap strapped; and let's not pretend that you weren't all thrilled that we signed Hardy last offseason. Adding him and Gregory definitely got people excited about our prospects this year as bolstering the pass rush might have been enough to put us in the championship game had all other performances remained of the same level.

Obviously that didn't happen and a lot of things fell off, but those two pass rushers had "final pieces" type vibes and everyone on here was echoing it. I certainly was in the "go for it" camp to an extent.

I actually don't think we are 4-12 far away from where we were in 2014. I'm not gonna say "Super Bowl" cause a black cloud follows this franchise around, but if we are wise about the additional money we have to spend this year -- and I think if we can get a reliable running attack in here -- our offense will be back to where it was more or less. Obviously that is counting on health from Romo.

Of course the defense is off on the wrong foot with Hardy likely gone and Gregory suspended. Getting Scandrick back will help but the defense feels a bit more patchwork right now than you'd have any right to be confident in it.

My free agent wish list would be:

1) Starting running back, preferably Miller, Forte or Martin, though a guy like Ivory would at least be a nice addition.
2) One or two mid level corners. This depends on what we do with Carr and Claiborne as well. Even if both of them
returned I'd want at least one mid tier FA here. I'm looking at Carr-Scandrick-Claiborne/FA-2nd FA-camp body.
3) Pass rusher - even if not on Hardy's level you have to get someone better than Mincey in here to hold the fort for Gregory.
4) Big splash player at some other position - safety, linebacker, defensive lineman.
5) Fill in the gaps on offense - backup TE, swing tackle, utility lineman, special
teams WR, etc.

Do'that stuff, then in the draft you are free to either take a QB at 4, or another big splash player at any position (a fifth star OL, a big play WR, a jack of all trades LB, etc), and I would then think this team is winning the division going away.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think we have "The Plan". I just don't think eternal optimist Jerry bothers coming up with a contingency plan if his first option doesn't work out. His brain doesn't work that way
That's because he is used to getting his way in life. That's also why he HATES for anyone to disagree with him. "This isn't a damn debate".

Top Bottom