Archer: Doug Free doing what he can to be ready for training camp

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Doug Free doing what he can to be ready for training camp

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- When the Dallas Cowboys get to Oxnard, California, for training camp at the end of July, right tackle Doug Free will be trying to make up for lost time.

Free has spent the entire offseason recovering from left foot surgery but he said he expects to be full go for the start of practices on July 30.

“Anytime that you miss something you feel like you’re getting behind, but I’ve done the mental preparation the best I can and also the physical stuff, what I can do, I’ve been keeping up with,” Free said. “Just planning on getting into training camp a little fresher maybe than some other people and working extra hard.”

Free missed the first seven games (five regular season, two playoffs) of his career due to ankle and foot injuries. He remained on the active roster through the season as the team held out hope he could return.

He called being a spectator challenging because he was limited in how he could help.

“I was trying to do everything I could then to get on the field,” Free said. “I’m not sure that we knew exactly what we were dealing with or if things possibly changed after the first diagnosis. But anything I could do to help this team I tried to keep going.”

Instead of hitting the free-agent market, Free signed a three-year, $15 million deal that included $6 million in guarantees to remain with the Cowboys.

“There’s always a possibility going other places but I’m happy to be here,” Free said. “I’ve been here eight years already so I built a strong relationship and I’m happy to continue it.”

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Let's hope Weems or Green are ready just in case.
It's a lot to expect of Collins to learn two positions, but he's already spent some time at RT and I'd like to get the best five on the field.

Rock Slamdance

DCC 4Life
I'm not keen on either Weems or Green having to play. Martin could maybe slide out for a game or two I guess.

townsend

Banned
Smith, Leary, Frederick, Martin, Collins. As long as they stay healthy, those guys could easily be the best Oline in football. Keep Free as the swing Tackle. I think Green was a wasted pick we made up for by signing Collins.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
No way does Dallas or any NFL team plan to acquire this strong and deep an OL. Some things broke just right.

Signing Bernadeau to be a starter and then keeping him as depth, resigning Leary under UDFA restrictions, losing Parnell, resigning Free to compensate, drafting Green to ensure RT long term, and then stumbling onto Collins has given Dallas the most pedigreed OL I've ever seen-- even better than those loaded Oiler and Rams OLs of the 80's.

Pedigree doesn't translate into NFL production of course.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Weems has evidently been getting good reviews from what I've read and it's thought he would be an upgrade over Parnell. OTAs and camps aren't games though and since he hasn't been able to stay healthy, it doesn't mean much. If Collins is as good as advertised, he might be able to work into that role as well, even though the plan is to train him mostly at LG.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Weems has evidently been getting good reviews from what I've read and it's thought he would be an upgrade over Parnell. OTAs and camps aren't games though and since he hasn't been able to stay healthy, it doesn't mean much. If Collins is as good as advertised, he might be able to work into that role as well, even though the plan is to train him mostly at LG.
It's good to hear but no one has pads on yet. It's hard to judge guys in the trenches when there is no real contact.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Weems has evidently been getting good reviews from what I've read and it's thought he would be an upgrade over Parnell.
I have only heard that from the DallasCowboys.com guys. While I myself definitely cite them for things that I think they have insight into, there are times when they say things that sound like propaganda or sheer homerism.

This sounds like one of those times to me.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I have only heard that from the DallasCowboys.com guys. While I myself definitely cite them for things that I think they have insight into, there are times when they say things that sound like propaganda or sheer homerism.

Why would there be proganda or homerism for Weems there are 2 other better-pedigreed players that could play that position.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Weems does seem like an odd guy to point out as looking great. He won't see a snap on offense next year unless guys get hurt. We drafted two OT's in hopes of pushing the guy off the roster. I get the propaganda thing when they are talking about McFadden or Dunbar but Weems seems like an awfully odd choice.

Top Bottom