Davison: Dak Prescott unfazed by Dallas Cowboys’ interest in Paxton Lynch

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dak Prescott unfazed by Dallas Cowboys’ interest in Paxton Lynch

By Drew Davison

ddavison@star-telegram.com

IRVING —

Owner Jerry Jones lost sleep over missing out on Memphis’ Paxton Lynch last week during the draft.

Dak Prescott isn’t. The Mississippi State quarterback had no worries about being the fallback option for the Cowboys, who made it very public about their interest in Lynch.

“I’m just going to go out there and prove myself everyday on the field, and prove myself everyday in here,” Prescott said. “Just be the player and person that I am. It really doesn’t mean anything to me [that they wanted Lynch]. I’m sure I wasn’t the first one on Mississippi State’s recruiting board when I committed to them.

“But everything works out and happens for a reason.”

Yes, Mississippi State should have no second thoughts about what they found in Prescott. He went 23-10 as a starter, and joined former Florida great Tim Tebow as the only SEC players in history to pass for 8,500 yards and rush for 2,000 yards in their career.

Prescott expressed an interest in learning under Tony Romo, and is OK with being labeled as a developmental player.

“I think all of us rookies need to develop to be better NFL players at this point,” Prescott said. “If that means developing for a year or two years, sitting behind Romo, I’m ready to learn everything I can from him and follow him on and off the field, just the way he carries himself as a pro.”

The Cowboys have been needing to develop a quarterback in recent years, and it became clear a season ago. Romo played in only four games, fracturing his left collarbone twice, and three backups combined to go 1-11.

That’s why the Cowboys had high hopes for Lynch. They desperately tried to trade back into the first round for Lynch, but Seattle went with a deal from Denver.

Jones has acknowledged his disappointment in not making the deal happen, and Prescott is well aware of it. He also has probably read that the Cowboys tried to move up in the fourth round to get Michigan State’s Connor Cook, too.

But the Cowboys have liked Prescott all along, and are happy to get him in the fold.

“It’s about what you make of your opportunity,” Prescott said. “And that’s my opportunity right now. I’ve been given a chance to be on this great team with this great organization with great players. It’s my job to come in here and make myself better, make these guys around me better and just be the best player and person I can be.”
----------

Wait, we are supposed to give a shit what a 4th round developmental QB thinks about our pursuit of a superior prospect?

Are you kidding?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wait, we are supposed to give a shit what a 4th round developmental QB thinks about our pursuit of a superior prospect?

Are you kidding?
It's not really Dak's fault, he is just answering the questions. Not sure why the hell anyone would ask him that question though. Dak seems to have the right attitude. I just don't think he has the right arm...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's not really Dak's fault, he is just answering the questions. Not sure why the hell anyone would ask him that question though. Dak seems to have the right attitude. I just don't think he has the right arm...
I don't fault Prescott, he handled it right. It was the bullshit that came out after Jones mentioned he wanted Lynch.

Even Ross Tucker on Sirius was like "what kind of message does that send to Dak Prescott, Jerry Jones?".

It is a really really stupid thought process. And if the player has a reaction to it, they are even stupider for doing so.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is a really really stupid thought process. And if the player has a reaction to it, they are even stupider for doing so.
No kidding, if you are a day three pick, you pretty much can guarantee you weren't the teams top player at that position.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
No kidding, if you are a day three pick, you pretty much can guarantee you weren't the teams top player at that position.
But seriously, that was kind of a big deal earlier in the week.

We'll take your calls, what do you think about Jerry Jones saying to Dak Prescott, you were not my first choice? Hit us up at 877-NFL-KICK, that's 877-635-5425, Bubba in Texas, you are on the air.

Yeah, hey. Hello? Hello? Am I on?

Turn your radio down, we can't hear you.

Oh okay. Hey, uh, long time listener first time caller.

Welcome aboard.

So yeah, hey, I think it was kinda disrespectful and ah, no reason to crush the rookie when he is coming in to probably be Romo's successor. Jerry is the best owner in sports, but I think he shouldn't have done that

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So yeah, hey, I think it was kinda disrespectful and ah, no reason to crush the rookie when he is coming in to probably be Romo's successor. Jerry is the best owner in sports, but I think he shouldn't have done that[/I].
So someone should talk about how disrespectful it was to Tapper that we wanted to draft Ogbah at the top of the second round.

dallen

Senior Tech
I don't fault Prescott, he handled it right. It was the bullshit that came out after Jones mentioned he wanted Lynch.

Even Ross Tucker on Sirius was like "what kind of message does that send to Dak Prescott, Jerry Jones?".

I wonder why it isn't considered tampering.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Are you kidding?
Sounds exactly like what Dak's saying. Translation: Who fucking cares? Im here to play...

p1_

DCC 4Life
But seriously, that was kind of a big deal earlier in the week.

We'll take your calls, what do you think about Jerry Jones saying to Dak Prescott, you were not my first choice? Hit us up at 877-NFL-KICK, that's 877-635-5425, Bubba in Texas, you are on the air.

Yeah, hey. Hello? Hello? Am I on?

Turn your radio down, we can't hear you.

Oh okay. Hey, uh, long time listener first time caller.

Welcome aboard.

So yeah, hey, I think it was kinda disrespectful and ah, no reason to crush the rookie when he is coming in to probably be Romo's successor. Jerry is the best owner in sports, but I think he shouldn't have done that
that's why I can't listen to that NFL radio shit. Just so full of Bubba Fucktard, so not representative of the fanbase... :picard

Top Bottom