Banned

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Rolando McClain, Ronald Leary report to Cowboys' minicamp
8:54 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- With a fine worth $76,580 hanging over their heads if they did not show, linebacker Rolando McClain and guard Ronald Leary reported to the Cowboys' mandatory minicamp.

McClain and Leary had their physicals on Monday, but it's not known at what level they will actually participate in the three days of on-field work.

Neither player took part in the three weeks of organized team activities leading into the minicamp.

McClain attended the early part of the offseason program but has spent most of his time in his native Alabama tending to what Jason Garrett called family business. Leary has been seeking a trade since before the April draft.

The Cowboys signed McClain to a one-year deal worth as much as $5 million, including a $750,000 signing bonus. He missed most of last year's offseason program, choosing to rehab a surgically repaired knee in Alabama but reported to the minicamp.

Leary signed the $2.553 million contract the Cowboys tendered him as a restricted free agent in March before the draft in hopes of facilitating a trade. The Cowboys had several discussions with teams during the draft but were not offered enough to part with Leary. Leary started every game he played in 2013 and '14 and opened last season as the starter at left guard before he was replaced by La'el Collins.

Last week coach Jason Garrett said he had spoken to both players but was not sure if either would attend the minicamp. Had they skipped the minicamp, they would have faced fines of $12,675, $25,525 and $38,290 for each day they missed.

Garrett said last week he wasn't sure how much either would practice. The Cowboys will have to make sure they are in good enough condition to do what the players who have not missed time in the offseason program.

The Cowboys do not want to risk injury with either player.

After Thursday, the players are off until the team flies to Oxnard, California, for training camp on July 28.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Garret wants a competitive minicamp.

Just now you want one?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
LOL @ Claiborne at KR for a player who is chronically injured as it is.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why the F hold McClain out?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Damn good question.
I get the whole not showing up to OTA's and not being able to fine him. But if he shows up to this to avoid the fines, why the hell wouldn't you have him participating? It either means he is in terrible shape or the whole story about needing to be with his family is bogus bullshit.

Cotton

Staff member
I get the whole not showing up to OTA's and not being able to fine him. But if he shows up to this to avoid the fines, why the hell wouldn't you have him participating? It either means he is in terrible shape or the whole story about needing to be with his family is bogus bullshit.
Or both.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which is probably true. I think he is just a lazy shit who sits and home and is lazy during the offseason. He is showing up to avoid fines but still has zero desire to actually practice. I honestly didn't care if we resigned him during the offseason because I'm so sick and tired of dealing with this sort of shit. I would have rather put Hitchens or Wilson in the middle and just moved on.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
As I said before Dallas has way too many fringe players. The Coach just can't seem to be able to put his foot down for whatever reason. Blame Jones or blame Garrett's nice guy demeanor but each year the players seem to dictate just how much they are willing to do.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Guys who routinely miss should not be starters and especially not team captains. It's simple, you miss practice you don't start... even QB's.

townsend

Banned
Guys who routinely miss should not be starters and especially not team captains. It's simple, you miss practice you don't start... even QB's.
:lol Yep we should have been starting Weeden of Romo through all of 2014.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Prescott has been looking like shit. So naturally, our owner/GM is impressed.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
:lol Yep we should have been starting Weeden of Romo through all of 2014.
I'd definitely start my backup if Romo missed every snap in practice.

First of all, if Romo's missing that time he isn't right to begin with. Romo plays like roadkill when he hasn't practiced.

Second it sends the team a consistent message.

Third, if the backup stinks it up, you bring in Romo in relief.

Top Bottom