Report: Cowboys have 'good offer' on table for O’Brien Schofield

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Report: Cowboys have 'good offer' on table for O’Brien Schofield
Jeffrey Kahn - 8 hours ago

O'Brien Schofield is still looking for a home in the NFL and the Dallas Cowboys are considered a landing spot.

According to ESPN's Vaughn McClure, the Cowboys are one of three reported teams with a "good offer" on the table for the free-agent OLB/DE last with the Falcons. The Bears and Jaguars are the other two teams with the reported interest and an offer.

"You know I'll bring 100 percent to that locker room and to the field," Schofield said Tuesday, via ESPN. "And you know, without a shadow of a doubt, I would help that ball club. I’m looking for a more dominant role as a nickel pass-rusher. I would have to be able to compete as the nickel rusher."

The Cowboys originally showed interest in Schofield at the start of free agency. They were one of a handful of teams to have made a preliminary inquiry on him back in early March.

Now in May, Cowboys COO Stephen Jones has said on multiple occasions that the club entered the draft, well after free agency died down, looking to take the best player available. And, that the front office did everything they needed to do in free agency in terms of filling roster needs. However, just before the draft, the Cowboys were able to get cornerback Brandon Carr to take a pay cut which cleared up $3.6 million in cap room. The Cowboys also saw defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence pick up a four-game suspension to start the upcoming season.

Could the Cowboys have been downplaying their interest in adding another pass rusher?

Schofield is coming off a one-year, $1.7 million deal with the Falcons and is not on the same page with the club for a re-signing. Schofield collected 30 tackles and two sacks in 16 games last year for the Falcons. Before his time in Atlanta, Schofield won a Super Bowl with the Seahawks in 2014.

Projected rookie contracts for Cowboys draft picks

The 6-3, 242-pound pass rusher was the fourth-round pick of the Cardinals in 2010 out of Wisconsin. He's collected a total of 15.5 sacks in six NFL seasons.
-----------

Been hearing this guy's name since the early portion of free agency. Probably his agent floating Dallas' name out there since everybody seems to do it.

I would prefer we follow back with Jason Jones and get that deal done to fortify the DE position.

Top Bottom