Archer: Should Cowboys lock up Tyrone Crawford now or later?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Should Cowboys lock up Tyrone Crawford now or later?

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – In an ESPN Insider piece last week, Field Yates listed the biggest roster decision for each team and not surprisingly he mentioned getting Dez Bryant signed to a long-term deal for the Dallas Cowboys.

But I would take exception to the description of the talks between the Cowboys and Bryant as “extensive” and “continuous.” They haven’t been that extensive at all since Bryant changed agents last offseason.

Last week Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said he expects the team will make a push to get Bryant to sign a long-term deal before the July 15 deadline. I’ll be interested to see how hard the Cowboys push.

They haven’t really shown much of an inclination to get a deal done after believing they were close to a deal last year. They have Bryant budgeted at $12.823 million with the franchise tag this year. While they would like Bryant signed past 2015, they don’t need to do a deal with Bryant to gain cap space. In a way, it can wait.

But it got me to thinking about the future of some other Cowboys, specifically Tyrone Crawford.

The under tackle in Rod Marinelli’s defense is the engine. Crawford moved there last season and excelled. He finished with just three sacks but he had 29 quarterback pressures and four tackles for loss as he learned on the fly.

He spent last offseason playing defensive end but moved to tackle when the Cowboys wanted to keep Henry Melton in a reserve role.

Crawford is set to make $675,000 in the final year of his rookie contract and will be a free agent after this season. The Cowboys have a long history of doing long-term deals with players they believe to be cornerstone parts of their team with Sean Lee and Tyron Smith the most-recent examples. They want to add Bryant to that list as well, but appear patient at the moment.

Crawford is not necessarily a projection, but he has played only two seasons. He missed 2013 with a torn Achilles. In order to get him to sign an extension and take himself off what will be his best chance of hitting the open market next winter, the Cowboys will have to offer big money but not so big that it swells the curve for future deals.

Crawford’s three sacks last year are the only three of his career. He hasn’t proven himself to the level Lee, Smith and Bryant have, but he is the type of bet-on-the-come move Jerry Jones has made with players such as Barry Church and, to a degree, Orlando Scandrick.

Getting to that number could prove tricky, but as a former third-round pick, Crawford might have to decide whether to make great money now is worth passing only possible super money later if he has the type of 2015 season the Cowboys expect.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it is a reasonable extension I'd be ok with it. I think Crawford is poised to put up some really good sack numbers this year if he stays healthy. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 6+ sacks. If he does that he could have a pretty strong market out there to sign him and I'd really prefer not to lose him after this year.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
If he wants to sign a team-friendly Scandrick type extension I'm fine with that, but I'm not up for paying him like a pro bowler before he actually produces. I don't think it's hard to plug in a guy who can put up numbers at the 3-T in this defense. Hatcher got 11 sacks and Crawford/Melton combined for 8 last year. If we had drafted Malcom Brown I'd be cool with letting Crawford walk next year. I don't like that we might be locked into overpaying him if he has a good contract year. He's not going to be worth the kind of money Dareus and Wilkerson are going to get.

Jiggyfly

Banned
If he wants to sign a team-friendly Scandrick type extension I'm fine with that, but I'm not up for paying him like a pro bowler before he actually produces. I don't think it's hard to plug in a guy who can put up numbers at the 3-T in this defense. Hatcher got 11 sacks and Crawford/Melton combined for 8 last year. If we had drafted Malcom Brown I'd be cool with letting Crawford walk next year. I don't like that we might be locked into overpaying him if he has a good contract year. He's not going to be worth the kind of money Dareus and Wilkerson are going to get.
Why are you even bringing Darius and Wilkerson into this, there is a middle ground here and it does not have to be Scandrick money who is still underpaid but got a deal when he was still a question mark.

I think Hatcher money is about right for him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not unless it is relatively reasonable.

He hasn't shown much except for the fact he's been the tallest midget among the DTs.

Jiggyfly

Banned

He hasn't shown much except for the fact he's been the tallest midget among the DTs.
He has shown a lot more than that but nothing will get in the way of you being grumpy.:lol

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
He has shown a lot more than that but nothing will get in the way of you being grumpy.:lol
So far he's shown the ability to get 3 sacks.

Hatcher got 4 for 27 10.5 guaranteed. That's not bad for Crawford if he'll sign for it since he's 25, not 31.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

This is absolutely true. The only reason atall to do it is to get a discount .

Because to lock him up early we are taking a risk that he never develops to what we think he can be.

So far he's been a good rotational player. Not some transcendent talent that we have to throw money at.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd give him 5-6 per year on a 4 to 5 year deal. If he has another year like last season he will get at least something in that ballpark anyway and we would be pretty happy to give it to him. Yea, he "only" had 3 sacks but if you watched all 16 games you know his impact went far beyond that and he could have easily had 6-8 sacks.

I wouldn't go anywhere above 6 per year because at this point you'd like to see more before doing that so there is no point, but if he's willing to take about 5 or so a year, I think that's a pretty good speculative contract to give a guy who could easily outplay it, and definitely play to it.

Genghis Khan

Why would he take that?

Scandrick was not a starter and was considered very average.
To make sure he gets a good paycheck in case of severe injury or underperformance? There're also financial benefits, he can invest the money sooner and draw interest, and he can enjoy the money sooner.

Why would we sign him early unless there's a discount attached?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
To make sure he gets a good paycheck in case of severe injury or underperformance? There're also financial benefits, he can invest the money sooner and draw interest, and he can enjoy the money sooner.

That's exactly right. Getting paid a year early is a benefit to him. It's the same reason why a guy like Scandrick signed for below market value.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Why would he take that?

Scandrick was not a starter and was considered very average.
Crawford did squat his first two years and started by the end of his third year thanks to an injury to Henry Melton.

He is now starter by default on what was a very below average DL (maybe the worst in the playoffs) to finish 2014 and one of the weakest interior DL in the league.

So yeah he might be good or he might continue to be decent, alot like Scandrick in 2011 who as nickel corner may as well have been a starter for the Cowboys.

Jiggyfly

Banned
So far he's shown the ability to get 3 sacks.

Hatcher got 4 for 27 10.5 guaranteed. That's not bad for Crawford if he'll sign for it since he's 25, not 31.
Why do people keep bringing up sacks as the defining stat?

Anybody who watched him play saw how disruptive he was on a consistent basis and let's not forget he switched positions in season.

But yeah we agree that's about his worth right now, I would have no issue paying him that.

Jiggyfly

Banned

You act like this is something that happens all the time, the fact that Scandrick is still a below market value player is reason enough not to do it.

Crawford is a FA after this year so this is the time teams start locking up their young talent, this is not really signing him early, the time to get a discount was last year like they did with Church coming of an injury.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Crawford did squat his first two years and started by the end of his third year thanks to an injury to Henry Melton.

He is now starter by default on what was a very below average DL (maybe the worst in the playoffs) to finish 2014 and one of the weakest interior DL in the league.

So yeah he might be good or he might continue to be decent, alot like Scandrick in 2011 who as nickel corner may as well have been a starter for the Cowboys.
Crawford started since game 3 and took the job, where are you getting this end of the year stuff from?

The fact that you think Crawford is a starter by default is comical he was the 13th ranked DT in all of the NFL last year.

And let's just ignore the fact that he was injured 1 of those 1st 2 years when considering what he did.

Genghis Khan

Ok name the players who have done this in Dallas over the last 10 years, since this happens all the time.
nobody said just in Dallas. Guys are resigned early at a discount league wide all the time. Philly did it pretty systematically before Kelly got there.

Top Bottom