Minicamp/OTAs Thread...

vince

Not So New Member
They showed McFadden doing individual drills due to it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Scout’s Eye: Martin’s Adaptability, Early Impressions Of Keith Rivers, More

Thursday, June 04, 2015 4:13 PM CDT

By Bryan Broaddus

Football Analyst/Scout

@BryanBroaddus

IRVING, Texas – A handful of leftover observations from our chance to watch the team’s OTA session on Wednesday afternoon:

•I could write about Zack Martin every opportunity we get to watch practice, but I would just be repeating myself in what I see from his play. Where I will focus is on his ability to line up and play with whomever is next to him at right tackle. If you were to ask Martin point-blank, you might not get him to admit it is different, but in conversations I have had over the years, it does make a difference. Martin in his rookie season worked very well with Doug Free and then later in the year with Jermey Parnell. Martin hasn’t taken many snaps with Darrion Weems or La’el Collins, but you would never notice this as he works through his techniques in the running game or passing stunts from rushers with these tackles. The transition has been smooth and on point. Where Martin doesn’t get nearly enough credit is with the stoutness that he is able to play with. It is difficult for a defender to get movement on him, which makes it difficult for the twister to get around the corner. It’s rare to see a stunt work to his side because he doesn’t allow the twist to come off clean due to his power.

•I honestly didn’t give Keith Rivers much of a chance to make this roster, especially after adding other pieces through the draft -- but I have to say I am impressed with the number of snaps that Rivers is getting with the defense as a nickel linebacker. I know that this group is down health-wise and Rivers has had to pick up the slack during practice, but his play has been more than respectable. In going back and checking my notes when he was signed, I wrote that I thought one of his best traits was his ability to play with intelligence and use those smarts in coverage. There were several snaps where Rivers was exactly where he needed to be, position-wise, to keep the ball from being thrown underneath. Where Rivers is going to struggle -- and I put this in my notes, as well – is that I just don’t see the quickness or the technique to be an effective blitzer and that was the case on Wednesday.

•Seeing some stories floating around about Jeremy Mincey now getting some work inside at defensive tackle. This is really not a big deal for him, and in reality it could be a very good fit for him as a pass rusher. By putting him closer to the quarterback, it will allow him to take a shorter path to the passer but it will also allow the defense to have a player with power and strength that could push the pocket inside. Mincey is one of the best bull-rushers on the squad and once he gets going he can be difficult to stop. What was special about Mincey is that it didn’t matter the competition that he is facing – he is going to give you his very best, whether that’s in the first quarter or the fourth. Before Mincey arrived in Dallas, he had played inside with the Jaguars and Broncos, so this is nothing new and a scheme we should see often especially in nickel situations.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I think most here wont react yet. Wait until it happens in training camp.

Nvm. Should have read all of the thread first.....

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Seeing some stories floating around about Jeremy Mincey now getting some work inside at defensive tackle.
It would be interesting to see a long yardage lineup with Hardy, Lawrence, Mincy, and Gregory all on the field at once.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It would be interesting to see a long yardage lineup with Hardy, Lawrence, Mincy, and Gregory all on the field at once.
I'd rather see Hardy, Lawrence, Crawford, and Gregory.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Less than 60 days from TC and about 75 to pre season. Any goosebumps yet? :happydance

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It just occured to me that this gif icon's name should be changed from happydance to jingle footed. :happydance

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It's early, but Byron Jones showing Cowboys positive signs

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- Tony Romo to Jason Witten has been a staple play in the NFL since 2006. Teams know Romo will look to Witten in the toughest of circumstances and they still can’t stop the Dallas Cowboys quarterback and tight end.

Maybe that is what made rookie cornerback Byron Jones’s play in Wednesday’s organized team activity stand out all the more.

Romo tried to float a pass down the middle of the field to Witten, who shook free from the rookie, but Jones was able to close and knock the ball away with his left hand at the last second. Maybe the throw was a little late. Maybe there was a slight hold of Witten.

Regardless, Jones was there.

Byron Jones opened some eyes by breaking up a Tony Romo pass intended for Jason Witten. AP Photo/LM Otero
“That was a good play,” Witten said. “He made a good play. I think anytime you can get in a competitive situation is good. He’s coming on there. He is playing the slot. Thought he did a good job.”

With Witten lining up in the tight slot to Romo’s right, Jones stood on the tight end’s outside shoulder. At the snap, he jumped at the 10-time Pro Bowler, hoping to be physical with him to make sure Witten had a hard time creating separation.

“Just trying to feel his body, trying to get as physical as I can as early as I can to disrupt the timing of the route,” Jones said. “I got a chance to undercut the route and I made the play. But I think I got away with holding right there, so I’ll take it.”

The first rule of being a defensive back in the NFL is to never admit to holding. The second rule is to remember the first rule.

Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli’s thoughts of the play?

“OK,” he said. “Getting hands on it is different than getting interceptions. It’s not good enough until we get the ball. He’s around it. That’s good. But what we want is the ball.”

Jones wasn’t waiting for praise from Marinelli.

“He wants interceptions, not just PBUs (pass breakups),” Jones said. “That’s another step you’ve got to take.”

When the Cowboys took Jones in the first round last month, they mentioned his position flexibility. While he hasn’t played any true safety yet, he has played at both outside cornerback slots and has added slot work as well, which is where he defended Witten.

Jones has found himself studying Orlando Scandrick with some amazement as he learns to play the slot.

“He has very little wasted movements with him,” Jones said. “He’s not bouncing around a lot. He’s just almost super calm out there. He doesn’t waste any steps. He knows what he’s doing.”

Earlier in seven-on-seven drills, he broke up a pass to Gavin Escobar. But then he had to be reminded he was supposed to line up at cornerback on the next snap and cost the defense a timeout.

There will be other rookie moments, and the Cowboys don’t want to overload Jones with too much to think about.

“You hate slowing a guy down,” Marinelli said. “That’s the No. 1 thing: Don’t slow him down with too much to learn. He’s a bright guy and right now, especially at this time of the year, we can move him around in some spots and hopefully get him in position to compete for a job and then also to be able to help us.”

The Cowboys don’t want to get too encouraged by just one play or even a set of spring practices, but so far so good with Jones.

“It definitely shows up,” executive vice president Stephen Jones said. “I don’t think Witten liked it. But it looks like Byron is fitting right in. If he can be competitive in a situation like that, then you’re taking steps.”

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
On McFadden:

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli’s thoughts of the play?

“OK,” he said. “Getting hands on it is different than getting interceptions. It’s not good enough until we get the ball. He’s around it. That’s good. But what we want is the ball.”

:towel

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was never super excited about Byron Jones. Not that I thought he would be some massive bust. I just wasn't sure about his instincts and ability. I like what I'm reading though and I'm starting to believe he will at least be a very good and valuable piece to this secondary even if he never reaches elite status.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Wanted Brown instead of Jones, but now that he's here we can only hope we finally found an instinctive playmaker for the secondary.

I'm not expecting much given he was at UCONN and never played anyone good.

Top Bottom