Hill: Cowboys are prepping Dunbar for bigger role as third-down back

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys are prepping Lance Dunbar for bigger role as third-down back

By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

chill@star-telegram.com

IRVING —

Former Haltom High and University of North Texas product Lance Dunbar might not be a central figure in the battle to replace DeMarco Murray as the Dallas Cowboys starting running back, but it appears he is being prepped for a big role in 2015.

Dunbar took the majority of the reps as the primary back in the 2-minute offense during organized team activities, setting the stage for him to be the team's third-down back.

"I'm just competing every day," Dunbar said. "Whatever happens (with the starting job) happens. But I know I'm going to have a role. Since DeMarco is gone, there is lot to be done."

Dunbar thought he was going to have a role last year and it certainly seemed the Cowboys were prepping him for that in training camp and the preseason when they treated him like a starter by limiting his time in games along with Murray.

But once the season started, it was Murray all the time. Dunbar carried the ball 29 times for 99 yards and had 31 receptions for 309 yards.

"He was a back that could do everything," Dunbar said. "It was his time. It was frustrating, but at the same time it was what was best for the team. It was working. We were winning. Why change it up? But I feel good about my opportunities this year."

And he should.

None of the other competitors for the starting job _ Joseph Randle and Darren McFadden _ will be entrusted with the responsibility of carrying the full load. It will truly be a running back by committee approach.

It appears that Dunbar's job is to be the third-down back in the passing game.

"We have always liked Lance a lot," tight end Jason Witten said. "He is a hard worker. With DeMarco and the year he was having, it was hard to justify taking Demarco off the field. But Lance has got some quickness. He is a mismatch in the run game on the edge with his speed, but especially in the pass game.

“He understands it’s an opportunity for him on third down. Out of the backfield on routes, he is a huge mismatch. (What he did in practice) was a good example of that."

Clarence E. Hill Jr., 817-390-7760
---------------

:zzz

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Randle has the best hands of the group. He has big play ability and he is better at blitz pickups. Why again do we need Dunbar?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Randle has more big plays then Dunbar. I'd say Randle has proven to have more game speed.

If you want the fastest guy that's probably McFadden who can also catch the ball and pick up the blitz better then Dunbar.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Randle has more big plays then Dunbar. I'd say Randle has proven to have more game speed.

If you want the fastest guy that's probably McFadden who can also catch the ball and pick up the blitz better then Dunbar.
I'm not saying I care for Dunbar, but taking my guess at why Dallas wants him in there.

And I get you like Randle, but he's not faster than Dunbar, game speed or no. He was a better runner from scrimmage last year (mainly thanks to Washington), while Dunbar was superior the year prior despite being injured.

I'm still in disbelief they couldn't find better than any of the backs we have.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Damn. Having trouble remembering a more overhyped spare than Dunbar in the last many years.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Oh My

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It's not hard. The Cowboys are doing the RB by committee thing this season so all have a role. Dunbar's is 3rd down via run or pass. Randle's run or pass options will come on other downs when he is in the lineup. Same with McFadden and Williams if they are in the game. Whoever is called on will be utilized according to their strengths and the game plan will dictate who get's inserted. It's situational formation calls. Obviously different than a power run game first and pass when it's oppertune. It's gonna be different this season and get ready for a lot mishaps early in the season while Linehan is trying to sort out the reliability and effectiveness of all the RB crew.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Frankly I'd want a bruiser on the roster given that Randle and McFadden are both more speedy types.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Let it go.
Its true. The power runner is gone. There isn't one left on the squad unless Williams proves to be one. I haven't seen enough of what he can do to understand if he is more than a finess back.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Its true. The power runner is gone. There isn't one left on the squad unless Williams proves to be one. I haven't seen enough of what he can do to understand if he is more than a finess back.
I never said it was or wasn't true. Only that you should let it go.

Time heals all wounds. Apparently it takes longer for yours, tho'.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I never said it was or wasn't true. Only that you should let it go.

Time heals all wounds. Apparently it takes longer for yours, tho'.
N.D. There are several folks on this site that have their topics of regret with the organization and express same from time to time. This happens to be mine and I will probably bring it up again in the future. That's part of the process on the board so you will likely hear it again when it seems appropriate.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Williams definitely has a more aggressive style than our other backs. He reminds me somewhat of Marion Barber (when he gave a damn).

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
N.D. There are several folks on this site that have their topics of regret with the organization and express same from time to time. This happens to be mine and I will probably bring it up again in the future. That's part of the process on the board so you will likely hear it again when it seems appropriate.
I'd like to see a big bruiser RB brought in that can get get that 1 or 2 yards when you just have to have it. Murray wasn't a bruiser but he had a way of always moving forward.

Unfortunately the the braintrust thinks that because the OL is All World, any RB can get back there and hit 5 yards a pop. And they may be right. It would be nice to have a power back for the running game though.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Jerra: "Any one of 500 running backs could have won that rushing title."

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
for what it's worth I agree with you.about this in general and about the state of our running backs.

Top Bottom