McGinn Draft Series

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Fuentes was also a quarter back at Oklahoma University. He has a very good football mind.

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned
So you think one spread offensive is exactly like the next spread offense? Why the hell would anyone make that assumption?
No I don't I look at what they ask there QB's to do which is why I don't knock Goff as much as other QB's.

Lynch has spent virtually no time under center and has not used as much of the route tree, the offense under Fuentes is much more quick hit than what Goff did.

It's all right there in his scouting reports.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lynch has spent virtually no time under center and has not used as much of the route tree, the offense under Fuentes is much more quick hit than what Goff did.

It's all right there in his scouting reports.
Half the NFL is quick hit offense these days. It's all bubble screens and WR screens half the time. Hell last year our QBs barely threw the ball from under center. I can't imagine you are concerned with his ability to throw the ball down field. He has the biggest arm in the class and is actually very accurate down field with it.

Sure he didn't play under center but welcome to the majority of college football QBs. If that's a major red flag to you then you must hate most college QBs.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Half the NFL is quick hit offense these days. It's all bubble screens and WR screens half the time. Hell last year our QBs barely threw the ball from under center. I can't imagine you are concerned with his ability to throw the ball down field. He has the biggest arm in the class and is actually very accurate down field with it.

Sure he didn't play under center but welcome to the majority of college football QBs. If that's a major red flag to you then you must hate most college QBs.
Crock you keep skating around the issue, yes we did a lot of that and where did it get us?

No NFL teams passing game is designed around bubble screens and slip passes and important points in the game you are going to need to read a defense from the pocket and make some intermediate throws that are not wide open.

It is not about his arm strength it is about his ability to be able to read NFL defenses and consistently make NFL throws.

He has very little tape showing any of that.

I feel the same way about Wentz like that scout said in the other breakdown, I don't think he could have completed a lot of his throws in the SEC let alone the NFL.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crock you keep skating around the issue, yes we did a lot of that and where did it get us?

No NFL teams passing game is designed around bubble screens and slip passes and important points in the game you are going to need to read a defense from the pocket and make some intermediate throws that are not wide open.
I'm not skating around the issue. The guy can make every throw in the book. The system he plays in has proven to be able to produce NFL talent. So yeah, would I prefer him to have played in a NFL offense in college? Sure. But is it a big red flag? Absofuckinglutly not.

You keep bringing up NFL throws but anyone who has watched him throw a football knows he can make any NFL throw. And no one knows how quickly he will process a play but that's a question with every college QB. You don't know how well a guy will do that until he hits the NFL. And the beauty of the whole thing is that Dallas is uniquely situated to work on his footwork while sitting and watching. So going under center shouldn't be a concern at all.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I'm not skating around the issue. The guy can make every throw in the book. The system he plays in has proven to be able to produce NFL talent. So yeah, would I prefer him to have played in a NFL offense in college? Sure. But is it a big red flag? Absofuckinglutly not.

You keep bringing up NFL throws but anyone who has watched him throw a football knows he can make any NFL throw. And no one knows how quickly he will process a play but that's a question with every college QB. You don't know how well a guy will do that until he hits the NFL. And the beauty of the whole thing is that Dallas is uniquely situated to work on his footwork while sitting and watching. So going under center shouldn't be a concern at all.
You know who who else can make every throw.

Brissett and Driskol yet you hate both of those guys, you know exactly what I am talking about.

Yes all of those things could be and they could also just not be things he ever gets right I am not comfortable spending a top 10 pick to find out.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You know who who else can make every throw.

Brissett and Driskol yet you hate both of those guys, you know exactly what I am talking about.
Um because accuracy matters when making every throw? If you can't do it accurately you can't do it at all. Lynch can and those turds can't.

GShock

DCC 4Life
TACKLES

1. LAREMY TUNSIL, Mississippi (6-5, 312, 5.05, 1): Third-year junior compared by one personnel executive to Hall of Fame LT Walter Jones when he declared early in 1997 after playing one year at Florida State. "Extremely athletic," he said. "Good kid. About the same as Tyron Smith. He has a chance to be in a bunch of Pro Bowls." Started 26 of 29 games at LT, missing the first seven games of 2015 because of NCAA benefits violations. "He's probably the most athletic guy that's come out in a while," another scout said. "He's not 100% clean with his game. He needs more strength, a little more nastiness. But as far as movement, he's pretty elite." Arm length (34 ¼ inches) good, not great. Ditto for hand size (10), and scored 15 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test, the lowest of the top 10 tackles. Not one scout, however, expressed reservations about Tunsil's ability to think on his feet. "Very similar to D'Brickashaw Ferguson," a third scout said. "I didn't see him as dominating because he must get stronger to handle big, physical edge guys in the run game. The Orlando Paces, the Joe Thomases are rare, but that's the definition of a dominating player." From Lake City, Fla.

2. RONNIE STANLEY, Notre Dame (6-5 ½, 315, 5.21, 1): Fourth-year junior with long arms (35 5/8) and big hands (10 5/8). "Not as athletic as Joe Staley but he's a top-10 pick," one scout said. "Outstanding natural skill set. Mentality is somewhat questionable. He's not a grinder, but let's not kid ourselves. He's a good player ... a complete tackle." Started at RT in 2013 and at LT past two years. "Not a lot of miss there," said another scout. "Smart (Wonderlic of 27), athletic, has size, can protect on the left side. You just wish he had a little more grit to him." Replaced Zack Martin at LT two years ago. "He's probably a better athlete than (Jack) Conklin but Conklin is a lot tougher," a third scout said. "He's got great feet but every game he gets a couple of motion penalties. The problem is just consistency. More of a pusher than a striker." From Las Vegas.

3. JACK CONKLIN, Michigan State (6-6, 309, 4.99, 1): Fourth-year junior played for his father at Plainwell, Mich., where he made honorable mention all-state and walked on. "Kind of a self-made guy who kind of grew into his body," said one scout. "He played left there and can probably survive there, but eventually I think you'll want a better athlete." Other scouts argue that he's more than athletic enough for LT. "For the third tackle off the board you're going to get a great pick," said another scout. "He's better than (Eric) Fisher when Fisher was the first pick (in 2013). He's better than (Luke) Joeckel. That was a horrible draft." Aggressive style of play compared by other scouts to that of Bengals Pro Bowl LT Andrew Whitworth and Green Bay RT Bryan Bulaga. Arms were 35, hands were 10 3/8 and Wonderlic was 29. "The more you watch that guy, he's the entire package," another scout said. "What he ran (4.99) shocked the heck out of me. He might end up being the best (tackle) because he's so tough. I've got nothing negative about him. Whatever he does, I think he gives you 100%." Made 35 of 38 starts at LT.

4. TAYLOR DECKER, Ohio State (6-7, 311, 5.21, 1): Won Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year honors over Conklin. "Just a man's man," said one scout. "Wins you over with his leadership. You could see this guy running for Congress some day. He's like Jon Runyan. I'd move him to right tackle. I don't know if he has the feet for that (LT)." Started at RT in 2013 and at LT in 2014-'15, consistently kicking butt and taking names. Arms (33 ¾) below average for his height. "Bust potential," said another scout. "Big man, average athlete." Won't turn 22 until August. Wonderlic of 36. From Vandalia, Ohio. "I'd stick him right at left guard," a third scout said. "Alex Boone did it (at that height). He'll come in and be your starter right away."

5. GERMAIN IFEDI, Texas A&M (6-5 ½, 325, 5.29, 1-2): Fourth-year junior nearly declared a year ago. "He didn't play as good this year but had he come out last year he might have been in the first," one scout said. "He's had three line coaches in three years. Big, strong guy. Real smart (Wonderlic of 27). Can play guard. I don't see many holes." Started at RG in 2013 and at RT in 2014-'15. Enormous arms (36) and hands (10 3/4). "Nigerian, team captain, very charming personality," another scout said. "Very smart, could be an overthinker. Never been in a three-point stance. He's a grab and steer guy. Second round." From Houston. "Got to be a guard," said a third scout. "Just doesn't move very well. Real stiff."

6. JASON SPRIGGS, Indiana (6-5 ½, 300, 4.91, 1-2): Four-year starter at LT. "Works out like Tarzan," one scout said. "If you watch him work out you love the guy. But he's a thin-framed guy so he falls off blocks. More of a zone guy in terms of lateral quickness. I wish the tape matched the body." Led tackles in the 40, vertical jump (35 inches) and broad jump (9-7). "You wish he were a snot bubble guy," said another scout. "He's not a knock you in the dirt guy, but if you're at left tackle you can play that way. He's the most athletic. If you can determine he's aggressive enough then you've got a left tackle." Played four sports as a prep in Elkhart, Ind. All of his 47 starts for the Hoosiers came at LT. "He'll get overdrafted because he's a workout guy," another scout said. "I just do not like Spriggs. I've had my fill of Spriggs. I've watched him too much. I never see him finish blocks. Never see him climb somebody and knock him down. I don't want him."

7. SHON COLEMAN, Auburn (6-5 ½, 306, 5.1, 2): Diagnosed with leukemia in spring 2010 and didn't play in a game for three years. "I want to give Shon the benefit of the doubt," one scout said. "He was away from football for two years and has gone through (cancer) treatment. He's a developmental left tackle. Has some length (35 1/8 arms) and movement but needs more strength (22 reps on the bench press) to play in the league. I like his height and his demeanor." Will be 25 in November. Earned his master's degree in May 2014. Two-year starter at LT. "Prototypical dimensions," said another scout. "He's talented enough (to start). Needs to work on his bend and anchor." Fourth-year junior from Memphis. "I didn't like him," a third scout said. "Waist-bender. I hate waist-benders."

8. ALEX LEWIS, Nebraska (6-6, 310, 5.24, 2-3): "I was off on him," said one scout. "He's really good. He can pass pro. He's subtle in his run blocking. He's tougher than you realize." Started at LT for Colorado in 2011-'12. In May 2013, he was charged with two felony assault counts after he got drunk and knocked out an Air Force cadet. Pleaded to a misdemeanor, spent a month in jail and transferred to Nebraska, where he started 26 games at LT. "The character concerns are legitimate," another scout said. "At times they bleed onto the field with dumb penalties." Described as "high-strung" by a third scout. Added a fourth: "He is a physical dude. He had an issue and I think he's over it. He's worthwhile." Father, Bill, was an NFL center from 1986-'93. "He's got the NFL bloodlines," a fifth scout said. "That guy is the sleeper left tackle of the draft. He could move inside to guard. He's being overlooked, I think." From Tempe, Ariz.

9. LE'RAVEN CLARK, Texas Tech (6-5, 313, 5.12, 3): Longest arms (36 1/8) and biggest hands (11) at the position. "In a couple years maybe he could start," said one scout. "Just because he's so damn long." Started 13 games at RG and the last 38 at LT in a throwing attack. "He's coming out of spread offense, he doesn't know anything about run blocking and he ain't very strong," a second scout said. Just 18 reps on the bench, worst at the position, and Wonderlic of 17. "He's got a lot of up side," a third scout said. "He's got feet, athleticism and length. They tell me he may have knee issues." From Rockdale, Texas.

10. BRANDON SHELL, South Carolina (6-5 ½, 324, 5.20, 3-4): Great nephew of Hall of Fame tackle Art Shell. "Obviously, he has the bloodline," one scout said. "He played really well at the East-West (Game). He's a right tackle. Just a big body." Played mostly RT before moving to LT in 2015. "Right tackle only," another scout said. "He's pretty steady." Has undergone surgery to repair a torn labrum in each shoulder. "Like him over Spriggs," a third scout said. "He's a big guy with some athleticism. He's competitive. He'll fight you. I don't know how smart he is (Wonderlic of 17)." From Goose Creek, S.C.

OTHERS: Jerald Hawkins, Louisiana State; Willie Beavers, Western Michigan; Joe Haeg, North Dakota State; Dominique Robertson, West Georgia; Pearce Slater, San Diego State; Stephane Nembot, Colorado; Halapoulivaati Vaitai, Texas Christian; John Theus, Georgia; Kyle Murphy, Stanford; Cole Toner, Harvard; Fahn Cooper, Mississippi; Tyler Marz, Wisconsin.

GUARDS

1. JOSH GARNETT, Stanford (6-4 ½, 313, 5.29, 2): First Outland Trophy winner in school history. "He's the best guard," said one scout. "Little bit like (Mike) Iupati. Little stiff but real physical. He's big enough to hang in there against those big 3-techniques." Two-year starter at LG. "He's not perfect by any means but you can see the power," another scout said. "He's a better athlete than I anticipated. He wouldn't be a good fit in a zone scheme." Father, Scott, was an NFL DT from 1984-'87. "I just don't think he moves very well," a third scout said. "Just upper body. Very similar to the guy there a couple years ago that didn't make it. David Yankey." From Puyallup, Wash. "What makes him is he's the emotional, vocal leader," a fourth scout said. "Powerful, strong hands (10 1/8), nice feet on pulls. Will overextend at times."

2. CODY WHITEHAIR, Kansas State (6-4, 301, 5.07, 2-3): Four-year starter generally played LG from 2012-'14 and then LT as a senior. "He played left tackle but no chance there," said one scout. "Has to be a guard or center. More of an overachiever athlete. Just kind of a guy." Has been compared to former Bengals G Eric Steinbach. "Very steady, technically sound," a second scout said. "Always in great position. Great balance, great feet. Plays with really good leverage. Doesn't have ideal arm length (32) but knows how to play." His 16 reps on the bench were the lowest of any guard. "He's got to get stronger in the upper body," a third scout said. "But he's got really good lower-body strength and knows how to use his hands. He's got edge and a lot of intangibles." From Abilene, Kan.

3. GRAHAM GLASGOW, Michigan (6-6, 307, 5.15, 2-3): Of his 37 starts, 30 were at center, four at LG and three at RG. "He just blocks people," said one scout. "He's big and he gets on people and he blocks 'em. Maybe a little upright in his play but he's pretty good. He had the (alcohol) incident but they say he's been all right." Hit with a DUI in 2014 but then violated probation by drinking again and was suspended last spring. "His person scares the crap out of me," another scout said. "But this guy is a real player, plus he's 6-6." Walk-on from Aurora, Ill. His brother, Ryan, is the Wolverines' starting NT. "Really a good technician," a third scout said. "Could play any position he wants. Because of his height he gets pushed some initially because these smaller guys get leverage on him. But he's so strong in his lower body that he settles. For a tall guy he's quick to the second level. He's smart (Wonderlic of 34). Hopefully, he's smart enough to stop drinking."

4. REES ODHIAMBO, Boise State (6-4, 315, 5.25, 3): Born in Kenya, moved to U.S. at 6. His 25 starts were split between LT (17) and RT (eight). "Daryn Colledge had this guy's strength and toughness but not his athletic ability," said one scout. "He's a lot more physical than the guy from there that played for the Broncos (Ryan Clady). Excellent strength, tenacity, finish. I thought he was nasty. Strong lower body. Good short set and hands-on anchor. Very good player." The problem is that each season was interrupted by a major injury (ankle, calf, compartment syndrome, another ankle). "For me, it's being able to stay healthy," another scout said. "He never completed a full season. It's serious stuff. He lacks that ideal length but a really good player." Wonderlic of 27. From Mansfield, Texas.

5. CHRISTIAN WESTERMAN, Arizona State (6-3, 297, 5.20, 3-4): Spent two years at Auburn, sat out 2013 and started 25 games for Sun Devils at LG. "Plays well," said one scout. "He'll be a starter. His up side probably is at center." His 34 reps on the bench tied for most among O-linemen. "Overhyped," a second scout said. "He's weight-room strong but he doesn't play to that. He's just kind of a guy to me." Some teams question how fast he'll pick up an NFL playbook. Wonderlic scores were 16 and 19. "He can lift the weight room but if you made a move on him he'd fall flat on his face," a third scout said. "I know he's tough, and those guys play. He's tight and straight-line." From Chandler, Ariz.

6. CALEB BENENOCH, UCLA (6-5 ½, 309, 5.08, 3-4): Third-year junior who was born in Nigeria and emigrated at 8. His parents are ministers in Katy, Texas. "Played at 290 this year but he'll be a 320-pounder," one scout said. "Very smart (Wonderlic of 27). Knows football." Started 31 games at RT and four at RG. Might be a four-position backup as he develops. "Jonathan Ogden is the only offensive lineman I can remember coming out of there," another scout said. "I hate UCLA linemen but I kinda like him. Has good strength and power. They usually have no power there."

7. JOE THUNEY, North Carolina State (6-4 ½, 305, 5.00, 3-4): Performed well at the East-West Game and the combine. "He's becoming a teacher's pet because he worked out awesome and is on the rise," said one scout. "He played left tackle this year, which he is not. He's either an athletic guard or a center. He's been underweight his whole career and has played all over the line out of need. He needs to work on play strength but he's a really good bender, really nifty athlete. He was under the radar at the start of the year." His 33 starts included 23 at LT, eight at LG, one at RT and one at RG. Short arms (32 ¼). "He has a lot of what (Nick) Martin has in terms of know-how and toughness," a third scout said. Highest Wonderlic (39) of the O-linemen. From Centerville, Ohio.

8. CONNOR McGOVERN, Missouri (6-4, 304, 5.05, 4): His chances are buoyed by the success enjoyed recently by ex-Tiger linemen Justin Britt and Mitch Morse. "Those guys there seem to come in the league and play early," one scout said. "Play better than they do at Missouri. McGovern is that type of player. Very similar to Whitehair. Technically sound." Made 24 starts at RG, 12 at LT and four at RT. "A really gifted athlete," a second scout said. "He's got good weight-room strength (33 on the bench) but I don't see the functional football strength." From Fargo, N.D. Added a third scout: "I'm not a fan of his. Good college player."

9. AVERY YOUNG, Auburn (6-4 ½, 327, 5.38, 4-5): Fourth-year junior. "I don't think he has the range (33 ¾ arms) to play tackle," one scout said. "He's better suited for guard. He's got one of the bigger rear ends in the world. He's athletic enough. I think he can play in a zone or a power-oriented offense." Made 30 starts at RT, three at LG and three at RG. "He played better as a left guard in 2014," a second scout said. "He's an area guy. At tackle, he just can't play in space. He can short-set you and he's got a decent anchor. He's top-heavy. Can't adjust and recover." His brother, Willie, is an OLB with the Bears after a four-year career with the Lions. From Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.

10. VADAL ALEXANDER, Louisiana State (6-5, 326, 5.58, 5): Voted LSU's co-MVP on offense with RB Leonard Fournette after moving from guard to RT. "It wasn't fair to him this year at tackle because he's not a real good athlete," said one scout. "He is really a powerful person." His 46 starts include 25 at LG, 20 at RT and one at LT. "His feet are all right at guard," a second scout said. "He might have trouble during some one-on-one drills in camp but he'll end up mauling you. He'll do all right. There's been a lot of guards like that." Added a third scout: "Needs hard coaching. Once he engages he'll work to finish. Not a bad athlete considering how fat he is." From Buford, Ga.

OTHERS: Isaac Seumalo, Oregon State; Sebastian Tretola, Arkansas; Joe Dahl, Washington State; Spencer Drango, Baylor; Denver Kirkland, Arkansas; Parker Ehinger, Cincinnati; Alex Redmond, UCLA; Darrell Greene, San Diego State; Landon Turner, North Carolina; Dominick Jackson, Alabama.

CENTERS

1. RYAN KELLY, Alabama (6-4, 312, 5.03, 2): Assumed the job from Barrett Jones in 2013 and outperformed him. "He's a lot better than Barrett Jones was," said one scout. "Does he blow people off the ball? No. Is he tough enough? Absolutely." Smart (Wonderlic of 29), quick and has the longest arms (33 5/8) of the centers. "He's got Pro Bowl potential," said another scout. "Very athletic, tough, strong. I think he's a two (second-round pick) and it wouldn't shock me if a team desperate for a center took him late one. He has that Logan Mankins feel when Logan came out of Fresno (in 2005). He'll have a long career because he's a technician." From West Chester, Ohio. "I don't love him but he's a day-one starter," a third scout said. "He needs strength."

2. NICK MARTIN, Notre Dame (6-4, 298, 5.21, 2-3): Older brother Zack was a four-year starter at LT for the Irish and the Cowboys' first-round pick in 2014. "He has been compared to his brother," one scout said. "No way, no way. Just not the same cat. But he'll play in the league, yes." Made 27 starts at center and 10 at LG. "Not a great athlete," said another scout. "Great leader. Just an average guard." Played much of his final season on a bad ankle. From Indianapolis. "He's athletically pretty ordinary," a third scout said. "Plays a little straight-legged. Against quick guys he'll struggle a little. But he's got an NFL body, an NFL mind and an NFL demeanor."

3. MAX TUERK, Southern California (6-5, 297, 5.15, 3-4): Blew out his ACL in a game Oct. 8 and might not be ready this season. "I like him over Kelly but he really had a bad injury," said one scout. "He can pull and do all kinds of things. But he's really a slight built guy." One scout said Tuerk's weight dipped into the 260s in September. "He has pumped up to 296 or whatever but I don't know how much of that is real weight," another scout said. "When he goes to training camp does he end up being a 280-pound center? I can't think of any 280-pound centers." Five-position versatility. Started 18 games at center, 14 at LG, four at LT and one at RT. "Really a big-time athlete," said a third scout. "He's (Alex) Mack, the same type of guy. He is so quick and so athletic. Somebody told me he might be too tall for center and I said, 'You've got to be kidding me?'" From Trabucco Canyon, Calif. Biggest hands (10 ¾) among centers.

4. EVAN BOEHM, Missouri (6-2, 304, 5.33, 4-5): Played football for his father in Lee's Summit, Mo. Also was a state wrestling champion. "Being physical is what his whole game is," one scout said. "He's tough. More like (Corey) Linsley. That's how he plays. Strong, physical." Made his first 12 starts at LG and the next 40 at center for a school-record 52.

5. JACK ALLEN, Michigan State (6-1 ½, 295, 5.29, 5): Regarded as the pre-eminent leader of the Spartans' championship run. "One of my favorite players," one scout said. "These guys don't get drafted but they end up starting. He's an alpha male, (team) captain. Everything what you're looking for. He's just small." Started 42 games at center and five at LG. "Jack was a two-time wrestling champ and that's how he plays center," another scout said. "He grabs and holds and bulls. He does a lot of arm drags, stuff like that. He reminds me of A.O. Shipley, who's still in the league. Not real big, and that's going to get a hold of him eventually." Added a third scout: "Little try-hard guy that coaches love." From Hinsdale, Ill.

OTHERS: Austin Blythe, Iowa; Matt Skura, Duke; Jake Brendel, UCLA; Quinton Schooley, North Carolina State; Kyle Friend, Temple; Robert Kugler, Purdue; Mike Matthews, Texas A&M.

UNSUNG HERO

Joe Cheek, G, Texas A&M: Two-year starter with a degree in architecture. His father, Louis, started nine of the last 10 games in 1991 at LT for the Packers as a Plan B free agent ($65,000 signing bonus) from the Eagles. New GM Ron Wolf brought Cheek back in '92 but cut him at the close of training camp, ending his four-year career.

SCOUTS' NIGHTMARE

Dominique Robertson, T, West Georgia: Triple transfer (junior college, Texas Tech) with thorny character issues. Played LT last year in probably the best Division II league in the country and had a good week at the NFLPA all-star game. His 36-inch arms might get him drafted.

PACKERS' PICK TO REMEMBER

Tim Huffman, G, Notre Dame: Ninth-round pick from Notre Dame in 1981. Started 24 games in four seasons, including the final 14 in '84, before a back injury the following June effectively ended his career. After receiving a form letter in February 1986 telling him the Packers wouldn't be offering another contract, Huffman quipped, "I always thought these things were supposed to be pink."

QUOTE TO NOTE

NFL personnel executive, on his evaluation of linemen: "It's just watching fat guys lean on fat guys and who moves who."

Jiggyfly

Banned
Um because accuracy matters when making every throw? If you can't do it accurately you can't do it at all. Lynch can and those turds can't.
And that's just it you don't know if can make those throws accurately because he has not been asked to them consistently and not from under center.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I'll be sick if we take any of the QB's after the top 3 on day two.

Connor Cook: "Average arm, average mobility, average field vision. Not a leader. Not aware. "
Hackenberg: "He doesn't have a clock in his head. I understand they had a poor offensive line but that's too many sacks. Throw the ball away. Do something. He has talent but he scares the hell out of me."
Dak: "I just don't see the vision downfield. He's a very streaky thrower. He's got no accuracy, got no vision, I don't think he's an NFL quarterback."

I'd prefer not wasting a premium day two pick and instead nabbing someone like Kevin Hogan on day three.
"He's more ready than Brissett is," one scout said. "He is accurate. He does pretty much everything well. He has a funny release. Doesn't Philip Rivers have a funny release?" His passer rating was 104.2 and his record was 16-6 against AP top 25 opponents. "That (delivery) doesn't bother me," said a second scout. "Sonny Jurgensen had a really weird release. Throws it like Philip Rivers. He's cerebral, smooth." From McLean, Va. "He's your old-time pro QB,"

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And that's just it you don't know if can make those throws accurately because he has not been asked to them consistently and not from under center.
He throws with good accuracy. People who have watched him have seen it. You can see it in his workouts and you can see it in the game film.

I seriously doubt throwing from under center will impact his accuracy. That seems a bit silly.

Jiggyfly

Banned
He throws with good accuracy. People who have watched him have seen it. You can see it in his workouts and you can see it in the game film.

I seriously doubt throwing from under center will impact his accuracy. That seems a bit silly.
It's not silly it is about mechanics and having to teach new ones at this point in a career.

You would want your top 10 QB pick to be past that, it is just something else you don't know how it will affect his overall development.

You also don't know if he can pick up defenses once his back has been turned off play action.

These are things mentioned in all QB scouting reports I don't why you think they don't matter.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Could someone please explain to me why Hogan is rated below any of the QB's outside the top 3?
All you hear is how smart, accurate, etc. He is.
Even compared to the 3 first rounders, competition level not an issue, no gimmick offense, wonderlic...
Yet he's not even a day 2 consideration, just a late day 3???

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Same for me. The legit talent at the position is gone. No need pretending anyone like these three is a potential franchise guy or even capable of pushing Kellen Moore out of the way to be honest. This is where no, you don't want a premium pick wasted on a guy to sit as third on the depth chart.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Could someone please explain to me why Hogan is rated below any of the QB's outside the top 3?
Even compared to the 3 first rounders, competition level not an issue, no gimmick offense, wonderlic...
A lot of teams like him. He just doesn't have the "upside". Funny thing is, how often are there "upside" QBs that fulfill that promise over the long term?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's mostly just an issue of arm strength and a goofy delivery that can be a little slow. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes earlier then current projections expect. Like you said he has pretty much everything else going for him.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
It's mostly just an issue of arm strength and a goofy delivery that can be a little slow. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes earlier then current projections expect. Like you said he has pretty much everything else going for him.
I think he may be higher on some teams' boards and they are just laying low. I don't think he's just to jump considerably but wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the 4th, instead of 5-6 like many are projecting now.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I like Hogan, I'd be cool with in the mid rounds. But I like cook and hackenberg too. I think all three have a chance at being starters if they get in the right situation.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Several personnel people said Ohio State’s Ezekiel Elliott is the best back to enter the NFL since Adrian Peterson in 2007 largely because he has no weaknesses.

Yesterday 12:05 p.m.

By Bob McGinn of the Journal Sentinel

The Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn assesses the top running backs in the draft next week. Included is each player's height, weight, 40-yard dash time and projected round.

RUNNING BACKS

1. EZEKIEL ELLIOTT, Ohio State (5-11 ½, 227, 4.48, 1): Third-year junior. "He is the only one with all the traits," said one scout. "He's got a chance to be the best player in the draft. He, (Joey) Bosa, (Laremy) Tunsil. He can catch it, he can pass protect, he's got NFL size and he can run. If he stays healthy he's going to be a (Adrian) Peterson-type back." Smartest RB in years (32 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test). "Football intelligence might be the best thing he has," another scout said. "He goes to the sidelines and tells the coaches the block protections. The coaches tell me he tells them what to do. To me, your intelligence is your blocking." Finished with 592 carries for 3,961 yards (OSU-record 6.7-yard average) and 43 touchdowns. Also caught 58 passes for 449. Played behind Carlos Hyde in 2013 before breaking out as a sophomore. Has undergone surgery twice on his left wrist. "Zeke just has the NFL mentality," said one scout. "Love the kid as a football player." From St. Louis.

2. DERRICK HENRY, Alabama (6-2 ½, 245, 4.54, 1-2): Third-year junior. "You don't think he's that fast until you actually see him in person," said one scout. "If the hole is initially defended, can he make that sudden change-of-direction move and get back to another seam? That's not his lifestyle. If he gets going north-south you better bring it, because he's going to get yards after contact. If it's muddy in Green Bay and it's the championship game and you've got to control the clock, I want Derrick Henry in my backfield." Better vertical jump (37 to 32 ½) and broad jump (10-10 to 9-10) than Elliott. "Doesn't have all the things you want but he's a 4.5 big guy who has some jump cut, some movement," another scout said. "He's a bitch on the perimeter. It takes him a minute to get rolling. You can get him early inside. But if he gets to the second level he's a man. And he proved he could catch in the workout." Finished with 602 carries for 3,591 (6.0) and 42 TDs to go with just 17 catches for 285. Wonderlic of 15. "He is Eddie George," a third scout said. "But, in today's football, they run the spread-option offense. The dilemma will be, can he play in today's spread? Is he too leggy? That's going to be his challenge." From Yulee, Fla. "In the NFL he will have to get his pad level down," a fourth scout said. "He runs too high."

3. DEVONTAE BOOKER, Utah (5-10 ½, 217, 4.52, 2): Former junior-college player from Sacramento, Calif. "He kind of does a little bit of everything well," said one scout. "Runs hard. Got hands. Not sudden or a blazer." Carried 560 times for 2,773 (5.0) and 21 TDs. Added 80 receptions for 624. "He'd be a starter you wouldn't really be excited about," another scout said. "He's a really good No. 2. Really good vision, quick feet, has a burst, good hands out of the backfield to catch. But he has put the ball on the ground (16 fumbles) and pass protection's not great." Improved from 8 to 15 on second attempt at the Wonderlic. "He's got a little character concern and some injury issues," said a third scout. "He's got quickness. He's got traits but he's not a complete guy."

4. KENNETH DIXON, Louisiana Tech (5-10, 219, 4.61, 2-3): "He's a solid, solid back," one scout said, echoing what many personnel people have said. Hard-worker who loves the game and always give it his best shot. "Good football player," said another scout. "I don't think he's explosive. His speed wasn't that good. But he can run, catch and block. Really good catcher. He's not special." His 87 TDs ranked second in NCAA history. Finished with 801 carries for school-record 4,480 (5.6) and 72 TDs, adding 88 receptions for 972. "Excellent production," said a third scout. "Some really good receptions down the field. He could get into the middle of the second round." From Strong, Ark.

5. JORDAN HOWARD, Indiana (6-0, 226, 4.59, 2-3): Third-year junior from Gardendale, Ala. "Just a country kid that's learning how to play big-time football," one scout said. "Some people classify him as the next Le'Veon Bell. He's an inside guy. I worry about his durability and just his work habits in the weight room. Smart kid (Wonderlic of 27)." When the Alabama-Birmingham program shut down after his second season he transferred immediately to Indiana. Rushed for 238 against Michigan, second most ever allowed by a Wolverine defense. Finished with 647 carries for 3,681 (5.7) and 24 TDs, adding 24 for 261 as a receiver. "He's a downhill inside runner," a second scout said. "He did play hurt this year (missed 18 quarters) and has a bad knee. Really an interesting guy."

6. C.J. PROSISE, Notre Dame (6-0½, 219, 4.46, 3): Fourth-year junior flourished in first season at RB after three at WR. "They actually thought he'd come back because it'd be the first time he ever was 'the big man on campus,'" said one scout. "You worry about his passion and love for the game. Kind of a basketball player mentality. You've really got to check his durability." Carried 166 times for 1,158 (7.0) and 12 TDs, adding 62 for 896 (14.5) as a receiver. "He's a big body that can run fast and catch the ball," another scout said. "You look at David Johnson last year, who was a big body but had great hands and could play on third down. That receiver background was definitely a positive as long as they have toughness, which I think Prosise does." From Petersburg, Va. "When he gets the ball on the toss he turns the corner and can break for a touchdown," a third scout said. "Faster than quick. I really didn't see quickness, and for a guy that's been a receiver he doesn't look like a natural catcher."

7. PAUL PERKINS, UCLA (5-10 ½, 206, 4.56, 3-4): Fourth-year junior. "He is a darting runner," one scout said. "He will run hard. He will run in the red zone hard. Not real big, but he has quick feet and good cut ability and vision. Near the goal line he's moving forward." His uncle, Don, was a six-time Pro Bowl RB for the Cowboys from 1961-'68. His dad, Bruce, was an NFL RB in 1990-'91. Finished with 622 carries for 3,491 (5.6) and 29 TDs, adding 80 receptions for 739. "Really good college player," one scout said. "Just doesn't have burst. Really good vision and feet but there's nothing dynamic about him." From Queen Creek, Ariz.

8. KENYAN DRAKE, Alabama (6-0 ½, 210, 4.38, 3-4): Career backup, effective covering kicks and one of the best kickoff returners in the draft. "He's either hit a home run or strikeout type of guy," one scout said. "You'll get some big plays and some negative plays. You can do a lot with this guy. Flush him out of the backfield; he's got really good hands. Looks like a big wideout. There were some maturity things early in his career (multiple suspensions). It's all about teams feeling comfortable with him as a person." Backed up Eddie Lacy, T.J. Yeldon and Derrick Henry. Finished with 233 carries for 1,495 (6.4) and 18 TDs, adding 46 catches for 570. "If he could just stay healthy he'd probably be a second-rounder," a second scout said. "The way he's built, I don't know if he'll ever be a guy to maintain health. He's got narrow hips. You wish he could get thicker. If he stays healthy, he'll be a strong weapon for a team. He puts his foot in the ground and can get vertical in a hurry." From Powder Spring, Ga.

9. ALEX COLLINS, Arkansas (5-10, 215, 4.59, 4): Third-year junior. "He's a tough, hard-nosed inside runner with enough speed and vision to get outside," one scout said. "Has hands. Can pick up the blitz. He's going to do it his way." Carried 665 times for 3,703 (5.7) and 36 TDs, adding 27 receptions for 167. "Kind of a bull in a china shop," a second scout said. "He runs hard, has some burst, tough. But he's not good in the passing game and I question his vision." From Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Added a third scout: "Just a banger. No speed. Ordinary."

10. TYLER ERVIN, San Jose State (5-10, 190, 4.39, 4-5): Led RBs in the vertical jump (39) and tied for second in the broad jump (10-10). "He's probably the best of the little guys," said one scout. "Somebody will take him in the fourth." Started 24 of 47 games, finishing with 528 carries for 2,803 (5.3) and 19 TDs to go with 87 catches for 783. "He's little but a real good athlete," another scout said. "Got big speed. Quick. He can take it to the house. He can catch it well. Like most small backs, he's not very good in protection." From Colton, Calif. Skilled barber with more than 35 clients. "Gimmick guy," a third scout said. "He'll fit New England the way they throw the ball out of the backfield."

11. JONATHAN WILLIAMS, Arkansas (5-10 ½, 218, 4.62, 4-5): Shared time with Collins in 2104, with both backs surpassing 1,000 yards. Sat out all of '15 following foot surgery in August. "Big, north and south guy," one scout said. "Will move the pile. He's just not a big part of the pass game. Physical in pass pro. When healthy, he can be a No. 2." Finished with 406 carries for 2,321 (5.7) and 16 TDs, adding 26 catches for 345. "He's hungry, great kid and can catch the ball," another scout said. "He's got the frame, the feet and the ability to be a three-down running back." From Allen, Texas.

12. DeANDRE WASHINGTON, Texas Tech (5-8 ½, 207, 4.47, 4-5): Led all RBs on the bench press with 24 reps. "He's not small," said one scout. "He's short. Dude is talented. He's like Devonta Freeman. He can pass pro. There's a difference between small and short." Impressed at the Senior Bowl as a runner and receiver. "Big-time ability," said another scout. "Dixon is bigger than this guy but this guy is so much quicker and faster. He's a better all-around player than Prosise. Height was the only thing I have against him." Finished with 605 carries for 3,411 (5.6) and 23 TDs, adding 124 catches for 1,091. From Missouri City, Texas. "I'll take him as a free agent," a third scout said. "Not draftable."

OTHERS: Josh Ferguson, Illinois; Wendell Smallwood, West Virginia; Kelvin Taylor, Florida; Tre Madden, Southern California; Daniel Lasco, California; Aaron Green, Texas Christian; Peyton Barber, Auburn; Keith Marshall, Georgia; Brandon Wilds, South Carolina; Darius Jackson, Eastern Michigan.

FULLBACKS

1. DAN VITALE, Northwestern (6-1, 240, 4.59, 4-5): Three-year starter at "superback." "He had a good combine workout," one scout said. "He played fullback, H-back, slot. He's not a blocker but he catches the ball. He's a cut (blocker) guy. He is quick. I had no idea he would run 4.59." Rushed merely six times for 29 but caught 135 for 1,427 (10.6) and 11 TDs. "Plays like an H-back, they just throw him the ball," another scout said. "Kind of a muscled-up kid. Not a very good blocker." From Wheaton, Ill., played at Warrenville South.

2. DEVON JOHNSON, Marshall (6-0 ½, 237, 4.64, 5-6): Backup TE in 2012-'13 before becoming a starting RB. Exploded for 1,767 yards in '14 but was limited to seven games as a senior because of injuries. "Just more of a big one-back," said one scout. "He runs very hard. Would rather run through guys than try to juke them. Even though he's a former tight end he doesn't catch the ball (well). He just doesn't have the mentality to be a blocker. He's hurt all the time." Several teams are projecting him to FB because of his size and pedestrian speed. Carried 305 times for 2,373 (7.8) and 25 TDs, adding 27 catches for 423. Improved Wonderlic from 7 to 15. From Richlands, Va.

3. ANDY JANOVICH, Nebraska (6-1, 238, 4.77, 6-7): Didn't start until senior year. "I don't know if he can play fullback, but he had a nice game against Southern Mississippi," said one scout. "He had like 100 yards in three or four (touches). He's quick and made some nice little adjustments, and he runs hard and he catches the ball well. He's quick as a lead blocker but he doesn't have the power to lead through. I still wouldn't draft him but I'd bring him in as a free agent." Carried 45 times for 271 (6.0) and three TDs and caught five for 87. Wonderlic of 29. From Gretna, Neb. "Not a bad blocker," another scout said. "Not real big."

OTHERS: Sione Houma, Michigan; Derek Watt, Wisconsin; Glenn Gronkowski, Kansas State; Soma Vainuku, Southern California; Quayvon Hicks, Georgia; Dakota Gordon, San Diego State; Andrew Bonnet, North Dakota State; Will Ratelle, North Dakota.

UNSUNG HERO

Wendell Smallwood, RB, West Virginia: Third-year junior. Fast (4.41), undersized third-down back with tremendous hands and the fortitude to run inside. Weak in pass protection. Charged with witness intimidation in a 2014 murder case but charges were dropped. "They (school officials) said it looks 4,000 times worse than it ended up being," one scout said. "They love him there."

SCOUTS' NIGHTMARE

Kelvin Taylor, RB, Florida: Father, Fred, is the leading rusher in Jaguars' history. Passed Emmitt Smith to become all-time leading rusher (12,121) in Florida prep history. From Belle Glade, Fla. Third-year junior with 2,108 yards. Problem is, he ran slowly (4.61), caught the ball poorly and posted a Wonderlic of 7 at the combine.

PACKERS' PICK TO REMEMBER

Gary Ellerson, RB, Wisconsin: Seventh-round draft choice in 1985 from Albany, Ga. Flashed considerable promise with 159 yards in the final two games of rookie season, then started six games in mid-1986. Underwent arthroscopic knee surgery Aug. 7, 1987, and was waived off injured reserve seven weeks later. Was the Lions' third-leading rusher with 196 yards in '88, his final season. Talk show host on WSSP-AM (1250) in Milwaukee.

QUOTE TO NOTE

NFL personnel man: "Most mistakes in the draft are made between January and April. It's because more people pollute the process and people forget about the film work."

Last edited by a moderator:

GShock

DCC 4Life
DEFENSIVE ENDS

1. JOEY BOSA, Ohio State (6-5, 272, 4.82, 1): Third-year junior from Fort Lauderdale, Fla. “This guy is such a stormin’, all-out football player,” one scout said. “He absolutely gives every inch of his soul to the game. He’s out of control at times but he bounces up. (Clay) Matthews is a little like that. He compares as closely to Matthews as anybody.” Finished with 150 tackles (50 ½ for loss) and 26 sacks. “He could stand up but I don’t know why you’d do that,” a second scout said. “He’s a 4-3 left end and in nickel he’s (inside). Great hands, great balance. He’s a glass-eater.” Scored 37 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test, second at the position behind Penn State’s Carl Nassib (39). “Little bit of a loose cannon,” said a third scout. “I’ll call him a meathead. He also likes to go out and have a good time. Hell of a player. Plays hard.” Father, John, was a bust (seven sacks in three seasons) as a DE drafted with the 16th pick by Miami in 1987. “I did his father and he was kind of a stiff, straight-line guy,” said another scout. “This guy must have got the mom’s flexibility or something. Justin Smith is a pretty good comparison. He was so technique-oriented, too. He uses his hands like a third-year pro.”

2. DeFOREST BUCKNER, Oregon (6-7, 288, 5.04, 1): “He’s a huge, long, really ideal 5-technique (3-4 DE) with advanced hand use,” one scout said. “Not a speed off the edge guy but knows how to play.” Finished with 232 tackles (36 for loss) and 18 sacks, including 10 ½ in ’15. “I think he has enough strength,” another scout said. “Is that his main game? No. He’s a pretty good athlete, he goes hard, he’ll retrace on passes and chase things down. He’s got that length (34 3/8-inch arms) that you like.” His hands (11 ¾ inches) were the largest of any player at the combine. Improved from 9 to 15 on the Wonderlic. “The kid’s very intelligent,” a third scout said. “Great family. From a work standpoint and loving the game, he’ll do everything he can to succeed. His weight-room numbers (21 reps on the bench press) weren’t off the charts but the kid plays very stout.” From Waianae, Hawaii. “It’s more hype,” said a fourth scout. “Truth be told, I watched that (Jack) Conklin kick his (expletive) (Sept. 12). I don’t like him for the value where you have to select him.”

3. VERNON BUTLER, Louisiana Tech (6-3 ½, 325, 5.23, 1): Can play anywhere across the front. “He wore a single-digit jersey, No. 9, that really made him stand out in terms of his movement skills,” said one scout. “I wouldn’t classify him as a grinder type of D-lineman. He really relies on his athletic ability. He’s got a lot of potential.” Finished with 170 tackles (29 ½ for loss) and 5 sacks. “He’s got some quickness for a big man,” said a second scout. “He’s more of a nose but he has some movement skills. He can push the pocket and get an edge on occasion.” Long arms (35). From Summit, Miss. “His body balance, bend, acceleration is very good,” a third scout said. “He’s a big finesse athlete. This year, he used his hands much better and played with better strength. He’s a little bit of a goofball, in a good way. Not a bad kid. Athletic as hell. You need the right D-line coach and then coach the crap out of him.”

4. KEVIN DODD, Clemson (6-5, 274, 4.82, 1): Five scouts said they all preferred Dodd to Shaq Lawson, his teammate. “He’s more sudden as an athlete,” one scout said. “He was a small-town (Taylors, S.C.) guy, 215 to 220 pounds when he came in. Everything hit like they thought it would this year. He was sitting behind some really good players when he was developing. As long as his work ethic stays the way it is, he’s got a big upside.” His career stats of 82 tackles (26 ½ for loss) and 12 ½ sacks included 62 (24) and all 12 ½ sacks in ’15. Fourth-year junior who was raised by his great grandmother. Wonderlic of 12. “I went in there in August and I didn’t hear one peep about Kevin Dodd,” another scout said. “I went back in November and he’s kicking (expletive) and taking names. He’s a one-year wonder there.” And that concerns some teams. “He can do that (play outside LB) but he’s going to be a moving-forward player,” a third scout said. “He’s a fluid, athletic guy. Wins on quickness. Not a powerful guy.”

5. EMMANUEL OGBAH, Oklahoma State (6-4, 275, 4.62, 1-2): Fourth-year junior from Houston. “Prototypical 4-3 defensive end,” said one scout. “Got a high ceiling and he’s made of the right stuff. Just starting to figure out how good he can be. He’s a pretty darn good total package.” Best vertical jump (35 ½ inches) and longest arms (35 ½) of the DEs. “That Big 12 is like Arena football,” a second scout said. “It’s no huddle, and these pass rushers are asked to mush rush because they’ve got these quarterbacks that can slip through there. That’s an old (Bill) Belichick word. It slows down the rush. It’s hard to show pass rush. Emmanuel Ogbah, I love him.” Finished with 133 tackles (35 ½ for loss) and 26 ½ sacks. “He’d be better standing up,” a third scout said. “One of those guys with phenomenal height, weight, speed. Tested tremendously well. But he doesn’t play hard all the time, he’s stiff and he’s not naturally instinctive. There’s probably a 65% chance he busts and a 35% chance he’s a double-digit sack guy. Boom or bust type.”

6. SHAQ LAWSON, Clemson (6-2 ½, 271, 4.66, 1-2): Third-year junior from Central, S.C. “I don’t think he struck a lot of fear into his opponents,” one scout said. “I didn’t get a sense of urgency in the way he played. With a hand down I’m not sure he’s going to be much of a point-of-attack player. You put him in a two-point and let him play in space and use his athleticism, you’ve got a different cat.” Finished with 123 tackles (45 1/2 for loss) and 20 sacks. “You really like him because he just works and works and works,” said another scout. “Active, aggressive, tenacious. He might be one you move outside in a 3-4 because he is a good athlete.” Shortest arms (32 ¾) of the top 15 DEs. Wonderlic of 10. One team said he needs shoulder surgery. “More hype than reality,” said a third scout. “Strictly a speed rusher. Once you get him you’ll probably have to sew him up (post-surgery). He was at the (medical combine) recheck and said he would not be getting a shoulder surgery this year. He wants to play. He’s saying that so he gets drafted high. That’s a concern.”

7. JIHAD WARD, Illinois (6-5, 298, 5.10, 2): Two years of junior college followed by two years (25 starts) for the Illini. “From North Philly. I don’t know how he made it out,” one scout said. “It’s not really natural to him but I can see the growth in the kid. There’s a guy who will give you everything he’s got. He made a play against Iowa where he ran 50 yards down the field and knocked the quarterback out of bounds. I’m taking that kid in the second. He’s a 5-technique with 3-technique nickel rush.” Finished with 104 tackles (12 1/2 for loss) and 4 ½ sacks. Calls Green Bay’s Julius Peppers his favorite player. “Little bit between an end and a tackle,” a second scout said. “He’s got all the physical stuff you look for but you don’t see enough on tape. His ability to learn it and take it to the field and produce .<TH>.<TH>. maybe they’ve moved him around too much and he’s not capable of doing that.”

8. JONATHAN BULLARD, Florida (6-3, 284, 4.92, 2): Considered coming out a year ago. “He was smart,” said one scout. “He had a heck of a year for them. Played his (expletive) off. He can play 3- or 5-technique. Is he a great player? No. Solid rotational player.” Finished with 175 tackles (34 for loss) and 12 sacks. Described as an “overachiever” by a second scout. “More of a strength than finesse player,” a third scout said. “He does not have the explosiveness or twitch that you’d like shedding blocks. His pass rush has no personality or power. His only source of quarterback harassment was a collapsing power rush. He’s not around the ball like he should.” From Shelby, N.C.

9. SHILIQUE CALHOUN, Michigan State (6-4 ½, 250, 4.84, 2): Three-year starter, two-time captain. “He’s kind of got a little Michael Oher situation in his background,” one scout said. “Surrogate parents. He’s a good kid, no character issues, but they spoiled him a little bit. I think they overdid it and made him too soft. I just wanted to see the killer instinct. I just want to see a little more toughness.” From Middletown, N.J. Finished with 131 tackles (44 for loss) and 27 sacks, second in Spartans’ history. “In that body is a pretty good football player if he was able to put it in gear,” another scout said. “Questionable urgency. Stays on blocks too long and kind of watches things. More of a slippery, finesse type run defender.” Ran a disappointing 40 at the combine. “I don’t think he has a heart,” a third scout said. “I’ve been burned too many times by guys that don’t play hard.”

10. BRONSON KAUFUSI, Brigham Young (6-6 ½, 284, 4.84, 2-3): Father, Steve, is BYU’s D-line coach. “Real effort player,” one scout said. “He’s smart (Wonderlic of 32), alert, instinctive. But he’s not an explosive player. He has enough strength. He knew his weaknesses and compensated well. He’s a thinking player and he has length (34 ½ arms).” Finished with 167 tackles (44 for loss) and 26 ½ sacks. Will be a 25-year-old rookie because he served a two-year Mormon mission to New Zealand. “They just think the world of him there,” another scout said. “He’s going to be a big surprise for somebody. He’s just going to get better. He’s got takeoff and speed to the corner.” From Provo, Utah.

OTHERS: Ronald Blair, Appalachian State; Charles Tapper, Oklahoma; Carl Nassib, Penn State; Shawn Oakman, Baylor; Matt Judon, Grand Valley State; James Cowser, Southern Utah; Jason Fanaika, Utah; Ufomba Kamalu, Miami; Alex McCalister, ex-Florida; Giorgio Newberry, Florida State; Sterling Bailey, Georgia; Ron Thompson, Syracuse.

DEFENSIVE TACKLES

1. JARRAN REED, Alabama (6-3, 309, 5.16, 1): Played two years of junior college and started two years for Crimson Tide. “Probably the best run defender in the draft,” said one scout. “Excellent hands, leverage. It’s textbook, training-reel tapes.” Finished with 112 tackles (11 for loss) and 2 sacks. “He could play nose,” another scout said. “Had a hell of a Senior Bowl game. He’s all ball when it’s on the field. All those kids at Alabama, Reed’s the one guy they respect in terms of playing ball. (Character) is documented on him. He’s got some demons.” Admitted to several failed drug tests. “He’s just a mean guy, and that’s a good thing,” said a third scout. “There are a lot of nice guys nowadays. He was the guy that the other players didn’t screw with.” Wonderlic of 15. From Goldsboro, N.C. “He’s charismatic,” said a fourth scout. “He’s not going to give you much as a pass rusher. He’s still a (pocket) pusher. I don’t think he’ll scare the top-tier guards as a rusher. But he’s got a strong anchor. He’s all power.”

2. KENNY CLARK, UCLA (6-2 ½, 312, 5.07, 1): Third-year junior, two-year starter. “He can use a four-point stance and he’ll two-gap the center,” said one scout. “He keeps his balance and doesn’t get rolled up real easy. But you can move him over a man and he drops that back leg and he has some quickness. I don’t know that he’s a star but he’s a good player.” Was able to maintain separation despite short arms (32 1/8). “I think the wrestling background helps when it comes to his leverage,” said a second scout. “Space eater. He’s about leverage.” Finished with 159 tackles (20 for loss) and 6 ½ sacks. “He’s innately tough, strong and mature,” a third scout said. From San Bernardino, Calif. “I think he can rush passer,” said a fourth scout. “He is an outstanding defensive tackle. He can handle the doubles and invert the nose. Does it all the time.”

3. A’SHAWN ROBINSON, Alabama (6-3 ½, 310, 5.16, 1): Third-year junior. “He’s basically a man,” one scout said. “At the end of the day he’ll be a solid starter. Will not be a dynamic pass rusher. He’s just a big ol’ guy that gets in the way and clogs the middle.” Started at NT in 2014 and DE in ’15. “He’s not a nose tackle,” said another scout. “He’s not that type of a physical player. He could play 5- or 3-technique. Little bit of a momma’s boy.” Turned 21 last month. “He looks 30 years old in the face and he’s 21,” said another scout. “If he goes back to Tuscaloosa he would have doubled his sack number (3 ½) if not tripled it next year and been a top-10 pick. You’re betting on the rise a bit with him. He’s got a ton of ability in his body. He’s played in a disciplined scheme.” Finished with 133 tackles (22 for loss) and 9 sacks. From Fort Worth, Texas. “Overrated,” said a fourth scout. “Just a big guy that doesn’t really play hard. They rotate him out. He’ll flash some run stop.”

4. SHELDON RANKINS, Louisville (6-1, 302, 5.00, 1): Started 28 of 45 games, the last 26 in a 3-4. “Love him,” said one scout. “Little compact guy. Very productive. Smart (Wonderlic of 26), leader. He’ll probably get overdrafted because his intangibles are so high. I would take him over (former Bear DT) Tommie Harris. He had better pass rush and quicker twitch than Rankins but this guy is high character.” As an undersized, quick 3-technique, comparisons to the Rams’ Aaron Donald are inevitable. “He’s a penetrator,” said another scout. “He can get off blocks. He can do lots of stuff.” Finished with 133 tackles (31 ½ for loss) and 18 sacks. “If you put him at nose and don’t move him, you’re going to be wasting him,” a third scout said. “He wouldn’t be a good nose. He’s a move guy. He can run.” Led DTs in the broad jump (9-10). From Covington, Ga.

5. ANDREW BILLINGS, Baylor (6-0 ½, 311, 5.01, 1-2): Probably the best of the pure 3-4 NTs. “He doesn’t have that size you’re looking for but he plays very good football,” said one scout. “Strong as hell. Solid kid. This is one you can rely on.” Broke all kinds of records in the Bears’ weight room. “Stumpy and wide-bodied,” said another scout. “He does have pretty long arms (33) for a guy 6-foot. He’s a good point-of-attack run defender but he doesn’t have much of a pass rush. Definitely a two-down player.” Two-year starter with 106 tackles (30 for loss) and 7 ½ sacks. “They rant and rave about how strong he is but he doesn’t play that way all the time,” a third scout said. “He has what it takes to be a good player but he’s not Casey Hampton.” From Waco, Texas.

6. AUSTIN JOHNSON, Penn State (6-4 ½, 312, 5.29, 1-2): Fourth-year junior and two-year starter. Played much better than he worked out. “He’s kind of like Reed,” one scout said. “He can control the point of attack. He’s got power-rush ability.” Led DTs on the Wonderlic with 34. Probably played more 3-technique than NT for Nittany Lions. “He’s a true nose,” another scout said. “Little stiff in the hips and high-cut, but he is physical, strong and plays hard. He just doesn’t give you much pass rush. Doesn’t have a lot of twitch or penetration. Good, solid player. Not great.” Finished with 154 tackles (24 for loss) and 8 ½ sacks. All-state prep basketball player from Galloway, N.J.

7. ROBERT NKEMDICHE, Mississippi (6-3 ½, 295, 4.89, 1-2): Third-year junior from Loganville, Ga. “He’s definitely a top-10 talent,” one scout said. “But he’s got character (issues) so he’ll slide.” Among DEs, he posted the fastest 40 and best vertical jump (35), and his hands tied for the biggest (10 ¾). “I compared him to Chester McGlockton,” one scout said in reference to the DT drafted 16th by Oakland in 1992 whose play didn’t always match his rare ability. “He’s just a great talent. He can do anything he wants to do. But he kind of picks his spots and takes time off.” Three-year starter with 98 tackles (19 for loss) and 7 sacks. “Since his freshman year you’ll see plays where he’ll bull right through the guard,” a third scout said. “Biggest issue I have with him is he’s the same guy now. You wonder why he’s not more developed and not more productive.” Wonderlic of 18. “He’s a different breed,” a fourth scout said. “He marches to his own drummer. When he had the (drunken) fall at the hotel it confirmed a lot of suspicions that people had. Last week, he talked about having a panther as a pet. It’s strictly personality. You wonder, ‘Is he a true football player? Is he dedicated to his craft? Or is he just out in la-la land somewhere?’<TH>”

8. CHRIS JONES, Mississippi State (6-5 ½, 311, 5.01, 1-2): Quintessential underachiever. “Boom or bust,” said one scout. “Yeah, he’s talented as hell, but his whole makeup is very, very limited. He shows everything you want in flashes, but it’s just so hit or miss. Our area guy hates him, but I bet him someone will take him in the first.” Tied for the longest arms (34 ½) and biggest hands (10 ¾) of any DT. “He’s got talent but he’s a mess as a kid,” said another scout. “He really flashes but has character concerns.” Started 16 of 39 games as a third-year junior, finishing with 102 tackles (18 for loss) and 8 ½ sacks. “He’s 6-6, he’s gonna be 320, he’s got really good feet,” a third scout said. “But he’s got two things going against him: he’s a junior from Mississippi State, and he’s not too smart (Wonderlic of 15). He’s country. He’s a bad (expletive) but he has to be more consistent.” From Houston. Added a fourth scout: “How much dog does he have in him I guess is the old phrase. They’re the same questions about Albert (Haynesworth) when he came out. At some point you figure the maturity will kick in and he’ll say, ‘You know what, this is what I want to do for a living.’ If he can get the right (coach) in his ear he can do whatever he wants to do.”

9. MALIEK COLLINS, Nebraska (6-2, 309, 5.00, 2-3): Third-year junior, two-year starter primarily at NT in a 3-4. “He’s a 3-technique,” said one scout. “He’s quick and can shed. Gets bounced around some. Does get covered up and plays a little high at times. Has some twitch.” Finished with 86 tackles (23 for loss) and 8 sacks. More effective rushing in 2014. “He didn’t have as good a year as he could have had,” another scout said. “He has yet to live up to his measurables and consistently harass the quarterback. Not an underachiever. He just seemed a little bit lost.” State champion wrestler from Kansas City. Wonderlic of 24. “He’s a little guy,” said a third scout. “He just plays small. Has to be a penetrator.”

10. HASSAN RIDGEWAY, Texas (6-3 ½, 305, 5.01, 2-3): Fourth-year junior, two-year starter. “He’s a very talented athlete who is slowly on the come,” one scout said in early April. “He’ll be a fast riser in the next three weeks. He can play nose, 3- and 5-technique. He’s going second round.” Playing in a one-gap scheme, finished with 92 tackles (18 ½ for loss) and 9 ½ sacks. “Doesn’t play hard all the time,” said another scout. “Has early second-round talent but he’s not as good as Malcom Brown. He’s not as tough as Malcom Brown.” From Mansfield, Texas. “There’s a guy that’s overrated,” a third scout said. “I don’t know why he was at the combine. I definitely don’t like (University of) Texas football players. He’s weak, doesn’t get off blocks, not a glass-eater, not a pass rusher. I don’t know what anybody saw in this guy.”

OTHERS: Adolphus Washington, Ohio State; Javon Hargrave, South Carolina State; Quinton Jefferson, Maryland; Adam Gotsis, Georgia Tech; Willie Henry, Michigan; Sheldon Day, Notre Dame; D.J. Reader, Clemson; Vincent Valentine, Nebraska; Matt Ioannidis, Temple; Lawrence Thomas, Michigan State; Nile Lawrence-Stample, Florida State; Connor Wujciak, Boston College.

Top Bottom