McGinn Draft Series

GShock

DCC 4Life
INSIDE LINEBACKERS

1. MYLES JACK, UCLA (6-1, 244, 4.5, 1): Third-year junior from Bellevue, Wash. "I liked him better than (Jaylon) Smith," said one scout. "Little more physical." Rare ability to walk out and cover WRs. "He's a slam dunk," a second scout said. "He can play modern-day football, let's put it that way. That (expletive) ain't never leaving the field." Finished with 178 tackles (15 for loss), 1 sack and 7 big plays (combination of interceptions, forced fumbles and recovered fumbles). "Just a freak athlete," said another scout. "He is Von Miller freakish. He moves around like a DB in coverage. He has burst to close. Plays heavy. His character doesn't read as clean as Clay Matthews' but he's more physically talented than Clay. The heart, the desire, he has that. The nick on him is he has had some cheap shots on him and he hasn't been able to handle it in the most mature way....He's not a leader. He wants to be one of the guys. There were some things he could have done differently in regards to how he treated people." Started 28 of 29 before suffering torn meniscus Sept. 21 in practice and didn't play again. Scored 25 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. Also rushed 68 times for 387 yards (5.7) and 11 TDs. "He could start for us at strong safety and be the No. 2 running back," a fourth scout said. "He transcends today's game." Vertical jump of 40 inches led ILBs.

2. JAYLON SMITH, Notre Dame (6-2, 238, 4.5, 2-4): Third-year junior. "He was far and away the best," said one scout. "He wasn't just the best by default. He was the best in an excellent group of guys. It's just a risk-reward thing now." After being smothered by Ohio State LT Taylor Decker in the Fiesta Bowl, he suffered nerve damage in addition to two torn knee ligaments. "He's what people are looking for," another scout said. "He's just great in space. But that injury isn't good. You don't have control of your foot. It just drops." Finished with 284 tackles (23 ½ for loss), 4 ½ sacks and 6 big plays. Wonderlic of 18. "Not the brightest cookie in the room," a third scout said. "Probably have to line him up. I don't know if he's a natural player but once he sees it he can find it and go get it. Now he's got the knee and he's not a very bright kid. I wouldn't touch a kid like that. I have no idea where he goes. He's off my board. He's a run and hit 'will' linebacker." From Fort Wayne, Ind.

3. REGGIE RAGLAND, Alabama (6-1, 248, 4.66, 1): Kept busy playing special teams for two years, started at WLB in 2014 and as the signal-calling MLB in '15. "When he hits people they stop right there," one scout said. "He's a plugger. Good reading through hats, diagnosing quick. He can get sideline to sideline tracking people down." Finished with 220 tackles (17 ½ for loss), 4 sacks and 8 big plays. "Very nice kid," another scout said. "He's gifted enough. His body is a little soft but his athleticism speaks for itself. Question is, can he be a three-down linebacker? That's my only concern. If you really watch Alabama, on third down they don't have him dropping into space. They have him rushing the passer (with his hand down outside). There's got to be a reason they do that." Administered the Wonderlic test twice, scoring 10 and later 15. "There was a little knock on him learning the playbook early," said a third scout. "Talking to people at Alabama, you're not going to throw an NFL playbook at him Day 1. But in time he will learn it. When he learns it he can retain it." From Madison, Ala. "Great (expletive) kid," a fourth scout said. "He'll knock the (expletive) out of you. Fast, explosive, not very smart. That's going to affect him on the next level."

4. DARRON LEE, Ohio State (6-1, 234, 4.48, 1-2): Third-year sophomore from New Albany, Ohio. "Solid, athletic," one scout said. "He can run. He's smart (Wonderlic of 31). Not the most physical guy. But the way you use him nowadays he'll have a role and stay on the field all the time." Finished with 147 tackles (27 ½ for loss), 12 sacks and 7 big plays. Started all 28 games. "He's not as good as (Ryan) Shazier," another scout said. "He can go out and play in the slot. As long as he's covered up where he doesn't have to take on a lot he's (good). He's not Ragland, Smith or Jack playing the run inside. He can play it outside, though. More of a grab (tackler). Will he hit? Yeah. Is he tough? Yes, he's tough." Led all ILBs in the broad jump (11-1). "He's a walk-out linebacker," a third scout said. "A tweener, a safety and a 'will' linebacker. I don't have him as a first-rounder. He's not that big. He can cover backs. I worry about his size against tight ends. He's above the acceptance level as a tackler."

5. B.J. GOODSON, Clemson (6-0 ½, 240, 4.65, 3-4): Started for 1½ seasons at MLB. "He's not a very good athlete but he had a good year," one scout said. "He's aggressive, he's active. He made a lot of plays for them. I didn't see him stack and shed. Instinctive kid. Not a real big guy." Finished with 138 tackles (17 ½ for loss), 6 ½ sacks and 8 big plays. "Really good between the tackles," another scout said. "Has some range between the numbers. I question his ability going backwards in coverage. He's tight." His 30 reps on the bench press led ILBs. From Lamar, S.C.

6. JOE SCHOBERT, Wisconsin (6-1 ½, 244, 4.69, 4): Played outside in the Badgers' 3-4 but some teams project him inside. "Shea McClellin comes to mind," said one scout. "Very similar in a lot of ways. Just a good football player." Finished with 172 tackles (35 ½ for loss), 13 ½ sacks and 10 big plays. "He can rush a little bit, play outside a little bit, play 'mike,'" said another scout. "He'd be a great guy to have training and being your first one off the bench as a rookie and then developing into one of the starters second, third year." Led all LBs on the Wonderlic with 36. "I bet you he gets drafted in the bottom of the fourth as a weak inside backer in a 3-4," said a third scout. "He's athletic. Modern day football, baby." Played at Waukesha West.

7. NICK KWIATKOSKI, West Virginia (6-2, 241, 4.68, 4): Three-year starter from Bethel Park, Pa. "Tough (expletive)," said one scout. "Good size and strength. Good bender. Coverage isn't his forte. He's a potential starter because he has a chance to play in the pass game. He has played against those spread offenses in the Big 12. Love to have him. Awesome kid." Finished with 189 tackles (28 for loss), 2 sacks and 9 big plays. "Little limited in up side and athletically," said a second scout. "But he's going to make a team and play, for sure." Wonderlic of 30.

8. BLAKE MARTINEZ, Stanford (6-1 ½, 240, 4.67, 5): Two-year starter inside in a 3-4, leading the Cardinal in tackles each season. "I really like him," one scout said. "I'm just afraid he's playing as good as he can right now. He's a thick-built guy all the way up. Very smart player. Lacks speed and quick hip flip in coverage. Very solid against the run. He hustles, but speed is limited." Finished with 255 tackles (13 ½ for loss), 6 ½ sacks and 10 big plays. "He's OK," said another scout. "A lot of his production was downfield. He's not an impactful, behind the line of scrimmage guy. He did play hard." From Tucson, Ariz.

9. ANTONIO MORRISON, Florida (6-0 ½, 233, 5.12, 5-6): Slowest LB in the draft. "All I know is what I see on tape," said one scout. "If the guard comes out on him he punches the guard right in the face and knocks him on the ground. Tough as nails. He'll show up at your football facility at 6 before the janitor gets there and will still be watching tape at 11 at night. He was described as a flower growing through concrete. He's rough around the edges. Kind of in your face. He calls out any teammate that's goofing off. He did some really stupid, immature things at Florida early. He's not a bad, malicious kid....He's going to be sitting there in the later part of the draft and someone's going to say, 'Screw it, take him.' Then two years from now you'll go, 'Holy (expletive), what a great pick.'" Blew out his knee in January 2015 but was back playing by the opener. "He's 100 miles an hour but he worked out terrible, so that's going to hurt him," said another scout. Finished with 294 tackles (21 for loss), 4 ½ sacks and 5 big plays. From Bolingbrook High School in suburban Chicago.

10. NICK VIGIL, Utah State (6-2½, 239, 4.65, 5-6): Fourth-year junior from Plain City, Utah. "More of a 'will,'" said one scout. "I don't think he can play 'mike.' Real instinctive. Quick, active." Brother, Zach, made the Dolphins as a rookie free agent last year as a LB from Utah State and played 141 snaps from scrimmage. "Instinctive and athletic," a second scout said. "I don't see him as a starter." Started 30 of 40 games, finishing with 324 tackles (38 ½) for loss, 15 ½ sacks and 11 big plays. Wonderlic of 31.

OTHERS: Tyler Matakevich, Temple; Scooby Wright, Arizona; Terrance Smith, Florida State; Kentrell Brothers, Missouri; Steven Daniels, Boston College; Jared Norris, Utah; Josh Forrest, Kentucky; Cassanova McKinzy, Auburn; Steve Longa, Rutgers.

OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS

1. LEONARD FLOYD, Georgia (6-5 ½, 246, 4.60, 1): "He has a DeMarcus Ware kind of body," said one scout. "He has first-round traits and third-, fourth-round inconsistency." Fourth-year junior, three-year starter from Eastman, Ga. "He's from a one-light town," said one scout. "He went to Georgia pro day and ate a bunch of breakfast biscuits before they go out. He put his hand down to work the heavy bag and started throwing up. You talk about coun-try." Finished with 182 tackles (28 ½ for loss), 17 sacks and 7 big plays. "He can do whatever he wants to do," another scout said. "The way they use him, he does everything at a high level. He covers the slot. He rushes the passer. They play him as a regular linebacker. I haven't seen anybody like him. Aldon Smith couldn't play up like this guy. Aldon was just go forward. I like him better than (Anthony) Barr. Barr wasn't the most physical guy. This guy plays hard." Wonderlic of 26. "He played inside this past year and didn't do a bad job," a third scout said. "But he's a guy you need impacting the quarterback. He's got to get stronger to play the run. He plays more violent than Barkevious Mingo and is a better technician."

2. NOAH SPENCE, Eastern Kentucky (6-2 ½, 249, 4.80, 1-2): Played two years at Ohio State, registering eight sacks as a starter in 2013. Admitted testing positive for ecstasy twice and was banned permanently by the Big Ten. Spent eight weeks in rehabilitation. Transferred to EKU, where he got drunk, threw a bottle and was arrested in May. Had 11 ½-sack season for Colonels. "Talented guy, but you have to decide if you want to put up with him," said one scout. "He reminds me coming out of college of Bruce Irvin. He had some mud in his history, too. He's better suited to be a 3-4 outside linebacker. He has get-off acceleration, fluidness, body control and back-door skill." Finished with 127 tackles (38 for loss), 19 ½ sacks and 4 big plays. Wonderlic of 19. "He's not an arrogant type guy," said a third scout. "Only question I have is what will happen when he starts having success like he did at Ohio State." Disappointing 40, average arm length (33) and large hands (10 ¾). "He doesn't know how to play the run at all," a fourth scout said. "My biggest concern is, this guy runs under blocks in the run game. He's just a DPR (designated pass rusher) right now. He's a boom or bust." From Harrisburg, Pa.

ADVERTISING

3. KAMALEI CORREA, Boise State (6-2 ½, 242, 4.69, 2): Third-year junior from Honolulu. "Almost the ideal 3-4 guy," said one scout. "Not the most physically talented but a good player. Plays hard. Got some quickness. Little pass rush. More so on stunts." Finished with 110 tackles (31 ½ for loss), 20 sacks and 5 big plays. "He wins with effort," another scout said. "He's a 100 mile per hour dude." Generally played outside but there were times when he moved inside, tantalizing those with 3-4 defenses. "The role that Clay Matthews played is the ideal role for him," a third scout said. "Inside, outside and rush. Excellent player." Will have to ovecome short arms (31 5/8). "He has an explosive take-off but he has problems once people get their hands on him," said a fourth scout. "He is really raw. He needs to shed."

4. DEION JONES, Louisiana State (6-1, 221, 4.45, 2-3): Dynamic player in the kicking game as a backup to Kwon Alexander before becoming a starter at WLB as a senior. "He was the first guy down and was making all the tackles," an NFL special-teams coach said. "When I see guys like that I say, 'OK, that's the guy I want.'" Undersized but speedy and smart (Wonderlic of 28). "He's not that little," another scout said. "I'm not saying he's Ray Lewis but he is the same size. Very fast and explosive." Finished with 165 tackles (21 for loss), 5 sacks and 5 big plays. "He's kind of a novelty," a third scout said. "He'll have to play 'will' and be covered up. But he can really close to the ball. Great kid. Tough." Compared by another scout to Tampa Bay WLB Lavonte David. "He's a lesser version of (Darron) Lee," a fifth scout said. "He's not a complete guy." From New Orleans.

5. KYLER FACKRELL, Utah State (6-5, 245, 4.65, 2-3): Three-year starter from Mesa, Ariz. "Before he hurt his knee (ACL, 2014 opener) he had a game against Tennessee that a lot of scouts are looking at where he had a couple sacks," one personnel man said. "He was on the uptick then. Coming back he hasn't been the same. Good kid. Nothing negative. He's just trying to feel his way after a pretty serious injury." Finished with 253 tackles (36 for loss) in 41 starts plus 12 sacks and 16 big plays. Compared by one scout to former Saints OLB Scott Fujita. "He's smart (Wonderlic of 32) and understands," he said. All his experience came in a 3-4 defense. "Before he got hurt I said, 'Wow, this guy is really talented,'" said a third scout. "Now he can't play in space. He's more of a rusher than a dropper."

6. JOSH PERRY, Ohio State (6-3 ½, 255, 4.63, 3): Started 39 of 52 games. "I should like him more than I do," said one scout. "To me, he looks like an old-fashioned, on the line 'sam' linebacker. Kind of stiff. Not great instincts. Straight line. But they just rave about him there." Finished with 296 tackles (18 for loss), 7 ½ sacks and just 2 big plays. "He probably will be working at Goldman Sachs," another scout said. "He's a financial genius. I just don't see it. I don't have that guy as draftable. To play linebacker you have to have lateral knee bend, quickness and change of direction. He's a long-legged, straight-line guy. He can't break down in space and the instincts are off, too." Wonderlic of 32. From Galena, Ohio.

7. JORDAN JENKINS, Georgia (6-2 ½, 258, 4.76, 3): Either a DE in a 4-3 or a strong-side LB. "Tough guy," said one scout. "Not a great athlete but he rushes with power and gets a lot of pressures. Not a nifty guy." Longest arms (34 ¼) and largest hands (11 ¼) at the position. "Steady eddie," said a second scout. "Does everything by the book. Doesn't do anything that will wow you." Finished with 205 tackles (40 for loss), 19 sacks and 11 big plays in 52 games (42 starts). Wonderlic of 33. "He's a better football player than Adrian Hubbard," a third scout said. "He's not a guy that needs to play in space. He needs to be a D-end with his hand in the dirt playing at 260." From Hamilton, Ga.

8. DADI NICOLAS, Virginia Tech (6-3, 237, 4.69, 3-4): Started 26 of 49 games. "I'll tell you one thing," said one scout. "That (expletive) is a football player. He makes plays and plays with his hair on fire. He played 3-technique at 230 pounds against Ohio State. He's a 3-4 backer." Born in Haiti and went to high school in Delray Beach, Fla., where he was a basketball player and played only one year of football. "It wasn't fair to him this year," said another scout. "They had him play a 3-technique at 235. But the year before at 5- and 7-technique he was an explosive pass rusher." Finished with 166 tackles (36 for loss), 17 ½ sacks and 8 big plays. Vertical jump of 41 was best by a LB. Long arms (34 ¾), big hands (10 3/8).

9. YANNICK NGAKOUE, Maryland (6-2, 252, 4.71, 4): Third-year junior from Bowie, Md. "He's a good pass rusher, not special," one scout said. "He can turn the corner. His body language at pro day was terrible. Literally all he wants to do is rush the passer. He's really tight-hipped...he's not going to be able to play coverage. They put him through linebacker drills. You would have thought they were torturing him. There was a lot of eye rolling and huffing and puffing. He wasn't in very good shape, either. He actually referred to one of the (NFL) coaches as 'dude.' He has bust potential." Finished with 83 tackles (33 for loss), 21½ sacks and 3 big plays. "He gets out in a wide-9 and beats bad tackles for sacks," another scout said. "He's got some strength and quickness. He's maybe a little better than I suspected. Fifth round."

10. JATAVIS BROWN, Akron (5-11, 227, 4.43, 5): Started 38 of 48 games at WLB. "Pro Bowl special-teamer," said one scout. "Be a third-down nickel (linebacker). He's my sleeper of the draft. He's faster than Darron Lee." Remarkable production. Finished with 345 tackles (school-record 41 ½ for loss), 18 sacks and 11 big plays (includes 10 forced fumbles). "Undersized, fast," said another scout. "Probably be a great special-teams player." Managed 33 reps on the bench press, most by a LB. Hails from Belle Glade, Fla., the town that has produced first-round picks such as Fred Taylor, Santonio Holmes and Kelvin Benjamin. Wonderlic of 19.

OTHERS: De'Vondre Campbell, Minnesota; Travis Feeney, Washington; Victor Ochi, Stony Brook; Eric Striker, Oklahoma; Tyrone Holmes, Montana; Devante Bond, Oklahoma; Cory Littleton, Washington; Stephen Weatherly, Vanderbilt; Curt Maggitt, Tennessee; Beniquez Brown, Mississippi State.

UNSUNG HERO

Tyler Matakevich, ILB, Temple: Most decorated player in Owls' history with school-record 493 tackles and 17 big plays. Temple's first All-American since RB Paul Palmer in 1986. Amazing awareness and nose for the ball, but size (6-0, 236) and speed (4.79) collaborating against him.

SCOUTS' NIGHTMARE

Stephen Weatherly, OLB, Vanderbilt: Commodores' only legitimate prospect. Height (6-4½), weight (265) and speed (4.54) galore, and 34 ½-inch arms measured longest at the position. For all of his physical attributes, he had minimal production as a two-year starter. Looks non-instinctive.

PACKERS' PICK TO REMEMBER

Tom Toner, OLB, Idaho State: Sixth-round draft choice in 1973. Started first nine games of '75 at OLB before giving way to Gary Weaver. Also started down the stretch in '77 for an injured Weaver. Added weight for a training-camp trial at nose tackle in '78 but was released, ending his career. He was 40 in 1990 when he died of cancer in California.

QUOTE TO NOTE

NFL personnel man: "If you're 60% right you're doing a great job. We can measure everything but the guy's heart. That's why the free agent becomes a player and the first-round draft pick becomes a bust."

Top Bottom