MLB Chatter Thread

Carp

DCC 4Life
Mets DFA'd Dillon Gee

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Doubt the Rangers are going to try with Harrison and Perez almost back.

Rev

Staff member
Chapman on the block. Make it so JD.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Just ran across this tidbit from last year.

Would you have done it?

http://deadspin.com/leaked-10-months-of-the-houston-astros-internal-trade-1597951970

The Miami Marlins seem to have been willing to trade Giancarlo Stanton for prospects Carlos Correa and George Springer. Granting that Correa is an absolute stud, that Springer has hit fabulously well since his callup earlier this year, and that they're under team control for years while Stanton is starting to get expensive, you still wonder if the Astros will end up kicking themselves over that one. Stanton has the 11th-highest isolated power in major league history for anyone with at least 1,000 at-bats, and is a Gold Glove-caliber outfielder as well; he's a generational talent, the kind you can't really overpay for. (Another way to look at this, of course, is that the embarrassing Marlins franchise was yet again willing to trade away an irreplaceable player so as to pocket some of its dole money.)
At the time probably, but Correa is looking like a stud and Springer looks all-star capable.

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned
Oh and Correa's numbers so far.

.324/.343/.529 with two homers and his glove is top notch.

Can you say Rookie of the year.:towel

Rev

Staff member
Oh and Correa's numbers so far.

.324/.343/.529 with two homers and his glove is top notch.

Can you say Rookie of the year.:towel

Yes but its spelled Gallo.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Gallo with 5 HRs in 14 games so far. Yes, I can spell Rookie of the year.

Rev

Staff member
Full on homer mode if we sweep the Dodgers today. Just a warning.

dallen

Senior Tech
Full on homer mode if we sweep the Dodgers today. Just a warning.
Homer mode engaged! Just signed up for MLB.tv.

FYI, they are running a Father's Day deal. $50 for the rest of the season.

They do blackout local games, but there are easy ways around that (PM me if anyone needs help).

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Just ran across this tidbit from last year.

Would you have done it?

http://deadspin.com/leaked-10-months-of-the-houston-astros-internal-trade-1597951970

At the time probably, but Correa is looking like a stud and Springer looks all-star capable.
As good as Stanton is I wouldn't have done it. Springer is a legit 30/30 threat and Correa is going to be an absolute stud at the SS position. Combine that with the price tag—even before we knew exactly how much Stanton was going to get it was coming due and it was going to be a shitload—and it made a lot more sense to stick with Springer and Correa. Prospects are always an unknown but by the point that article was written last year Springer had showed big time skills in the minors and Correa is about as sure a thing as you get in a prospect and he plays SS.

The Astros are going to be a force in the AL for years to come.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
NL ROY is going to be interesting. Joc Pederson has been pretty impressive so far. I expect his .252 AVG to drop some but his OBP is always going to be good. He has 17 HRs as well.

Kris Bryant hit his 8th HR last night and currently has more R, RBI, and SBs than Pederson in less plate appearances and also has an AVG about 40 points higher.

Have to see where these guys are at the end of the season. If they are comparable and the LAD make the playoffs and the Cubs don't then I'm sure it will go to Pederson. If comparable and both make the post-season I think it will be Bryant.

Speaking of rookies, the Cubs brought up another stud rookie bat in Kyle Schwarber and he went 4-5 with 2 RBI last night. He is going to AAA Iowa after this interleague series—he was brought up specifically to play DH—but he is yet another young guy that can absolutely rake and will be up for good fairly soon.

That isn't even mentioning Addison Russell, who hit another HR last night and continues to make stellar defensive plays at 2B. Old man Anthony Rizzo (25) is already an All-Star caliber 1B. This Cubs team has the chance to be a real monster for the next several seasons.

D

Deuce

If he gets his average up about 40 points in this season, Souza is a legit candidate for AL ROY. 13 hr, 30 rbi and 8 steals so far.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
If he gets his average up about 40 points in this season, Souza is a legit candidate for AL ROY. 13 hr, 30 rbi and 8 steals so far.
He is having a solid season. I'm skeptical that his AVG is going to get out of the .230 range this season but if he goes 25/25 who cares.

Carp

DCC 4Life
NL ROY is going to be interesting. Joc Pederson has been pretty impressive so far. I expect his .252 AVG to drop some but his OBP is always going to be good. He has 17 HRs as well.

Kris Bryant hit his 8th HR last night and currently has more R, RBI, and SBs than Pederson in less plate appearances and also has an AVG about 40 points higher.

Have to see where these guys are at the end of the season. If they are comparable and the LAD make the playoffs and the Cubs don't then I'm sure it will go to Pederson. If comparable and both make the post-season I think it will be Bryant.

Speaking of rookies, the Cubs brought up another stud rookie bat in Kyle Schwarber and he went 4-5 with 2 RBI last night. He is going to AAA Iowa after this interleague series—he was brought up specifically to play DH—but he is yet another young guy that can absolutely rake and will be up for good fairly soon.

That isn't even mentioning Addison Russell, who hit another HR last night and continues to make stellar defensive plays at 2B. Old man Anthony Rizzo (25) is already an All-Star caliber 1B. This Cubs team has the chance to be a real monster for the next several seasons.
You forgot Dilson Herrera and Noah Syndergaard. :tippytoe

Rev

Staff member
Gallo laughs at those power numbers.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
You forgot Dilson Herrera
:lol

:nodno

and Noah Syndergaard. :tippytoe
He is a stud. If he has an amazing season and the Mets make the playoffs his name will definitely be in the conversation but if Pederson and Bryant come anywhere close to maintaining their current pace I think the bat wins out over the pitcher for sure.

Rev

Staff member
Gallo will also win the NL rookie of the year just based on the games the rangers play the NL.

Rev

Staff member
When the laughter comes from Round Rock, can anybody hear it?
You are listening in the wrong place if you are still listening at AAA.

D

Deuce

Wil Myers and Jeremy Hellickson are former AL ROY's. I hope Gallo enjoys similar success.

Top Bottom