Moore: How did Cowboys enter rookie minicamp with three first-round talents?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Who was this space eater in Tampa and Chicago?
Booger McFarland was a 1st round pick in Marinelli's best ever defense.

Stepen Paea was a 2nd round pick in his best Chicago defense.

It's no coincidence. Every foot of penetration on the lines equates to multiple yards saved behind the line, and the best qualified to get that push are usually the best players in college.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
That defense also had guys like Warren Sapp, Ronde Barber, Simeon Rice, John Lynch, Derrick Brooks, etc...

Do we have guys like that?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That defense also had guys like Warren Sapp, Ronde Barber, Simeon Rice, John Lynch, Derrick Brooks, etc...

Do we have guys like that?
He asked, I answered. I wasn't saying McFarland was even close to the best player on that team, but his pedigree mattered at that position.

Putting a schlub like Hayden in there (and an even worse backup) is detrimental to the entire team.

We have to score early and often to back teams off the run. That has to be our MO again this year. If the pass rushers we acquired the last three years actually produce, then it's a bonus.

We need to run DMac. Run Randle. Run Williams. Into the ground if need be, and Romo has to plain get it done.

Losing Murray really sucks.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
He asked, I answered. I wasn't saying McFarland was even close to the best player on that team, but his pedigree mattered at that position.
Sure. But the way you are presenting it, it sure looks like you're implying that the fatbody up front is the straw that stirs the drink. I was just saying that I'm betting that the Bucs still would have had a pretty successful defense with all that talent they had. Yeah, even if Golden Cock was playing for them instead of McFarland.

Jiggyfly

Banned

Stepen Paea was a 2nd round pick in his best Chicago defense.

It's no coincidence. Every foot of penetration on the lines equates to multiple yards saved behind the line, and the best qualified to get that push are usually the best players in college.
McFarland 6" 300 pounds

Paea 6"1 300 pounds

Both are the size of Hayden once again making shit up.:lol

hstour

Brand New Member
They wouldn't have to overdraft LB if they would just grab 1 decent space-eating DT.
Not Marinelli's style. You don't draft players that go against what the DC wants to implement.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
McFarland 6" 300 pounds

Paea 6"1 300 pounds
Size always helps, but it's secondary to drive, talent, and power. Hell, Josh Brent had size and look where that got us.

You are so up your own ass about making a point about me that you are only emphasizing what I've been saying, that pedigree matters at the DT position.

Thanks for bringing up Paea and McFarland again!

Not Marinelli's style. You don't draft players that go against what the DC wants to implement.
I'm sure this is false. Marinelli's best defenses had highly drafted DT's, so this statement doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Size always helps, but it's secondary to drive, talent, and power. Hell, Josh Brent had size and look where that got us.

You are so up your own ass about making a point about me that you are only emphasizing what I've been saying, that pedigree matters at the DT position.

Thanks for bringing up Paea and McFarland again!

I'm sure this is false. Marinelli's best defenses had highly drafted DT's, so this statement doesn't make sense.
It was the "space-eating" part of your statement that he was disagreeing with. Marinelli's D-Lines have not featured big fat guys.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well I don't know if Booger McFarland was a huge guy, but he was definitely not the kind of penetrating tackle that Marinelli now claims to value.

hstour

Brand New Member
Well I don't know if Booger McFarland was a huge guy, but he was definitely not the kind of penetrating tackle that Marinelli now claims to value.
But that statement proposes that Marinelli's system is exactly the same as in 1999, the year McFarland was drafted and Marinelli's 3rd in Tampa. You leave out any possibility that Marinelli has refined his system.

I have seen it reported by many that currently he devalues the 1-tech (doesn't believe you should spend a 1st round draft pick on it). And that he prefers all four DL positions to be able to attack up the field.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It was the "space-eating" part of your statement that he was disagreeing with. Marinelli's D-Lines have not featured big fat guys.
OK I will buy that space-eating does sound like a fat monster. I meant someone who controls two blockers at the point of attack and applies pressure by moving them backwards if possible.

That takes motor and talent. Size always helps, but is no substitute for drive and talent.

In Marinelli's best defenses ever, he had two pedigreed talents playing this position, McFarland and Paea. It's not a coincidence.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yes he was McFarland was very active and averaged about 3 sacks a year.

Top Bottom