McGinn Draft Series

GShock

DCC 4Life
Always one of my favorite reads each year. Our picks are almost always somewhere in here:

1. JARED GOFF, California (6-4, 217, 4.78, 1): Third-year junior. "Extremely accurate," one scout said. "Amazing feet and pocket presence. Very similar to (Tom) Brady that way. Can make all the throws. But he has such a slight build. He needs to get stronger. And having played in that spread system he will need to take snaps under center and make adjustments." Started all 37 games of his career, compiling a 14-23 record. "He was surrounded by nothing," another scout said. "His best running back had a hip and was hurt all year, the receiver has all kind of talent and he's a nut job. The rest of them are pedestrian. He might be the most ready but I'd be nervous taking him before 10. Thing I don't like is his slender build." Finished with a passer rating of 98.9. Another Cal product, Aaron Rodgers, posted a two-year rating of 102.9 in 2003-'04. "I just don't see him having that winner quality about him," a third scout said. "His arm isn't great. They do a lot of that dink and dunk offense, a lot of that false production. He gets rattled by pressure. Everything has kind of got to be under control for him. He couldn't win there and you want him to be the face of your franchise?" From Novato, Calif. Small hands (9 inches). Scored 34 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test.

2. CARSON WENTZ, North Dakota State (6-5, 237, 4.69, 1): "Prototypical," one scout said. "I see everything. Arm strength. Accuracy. Toughness. Athletic ability. Smart. Great kid." "He's a genius, Wentz is," said another scout with knowledge of Wentz's 40 on the Wonderlic. "He could be really good. He's the best runner, he's the best athlete. He is off the charts." Fifth-year senior from Bismarck, N.D., who didn't start a game until his fourth year. Finished with passer rating of 105.3. "He gets away with things in that league (Missouri Valley) that he wouldn't get away with in the SEC," a third scout said. "He tries to throw in tight windows. Even in the (FCS) title game he threw two picks. The guy he reminds me of is (Blake) Bortles. Everybody was so excited about Bortles because of the height and the athletic ability, and this guy has the same thing. At least Bortles played against big-time competition. At this point I just don't see where he's that accurate of a passer." Compared by that same scout to Ben Roethlisberger. "He's big, athletic and has a freaking cannon," a fourth scout said. "Level of competition is the only thing. I'd sit him for a year and a half, two years. Then I got a real starter. He'll be shoved into the fire too quickly and it may crush him."

3. PAXTON LYNCH, Memphis (6-6 ½, 246, 4.83, 1): Fourth-year junior. "He's the guy I like," one scout said. "He's got the poise, the vision. You can see what Memphis has done since he's been there. Guy beat Mississippi and put Memphis on the map. Good athlete. Got all the things I look for in a guy." Only other offers out of Deltona, Fla., were from Florida A&M and Bethune-Cookman. "For a tall guy he doesn't act like (Dan) McGwire or somebody," another scout said. "He can get out of trouble. He can run. He can make all the throws. Accuracy is good, not great. Just give him a minute … but Jacksonville gave (Blake) Bortles only four games." His 36-inch vertical jump tied Cardale Jones for best effort among QBs. His passer rating of 93.5 included 110.6 in '15. "You might hit the home run with Lynch but because of the mental you might strike out," a third scout said. "He has the best arm. It ain't even close. That big, tall son of a gun can run, too. He's a little spacy, a little different." Added a fourth scout: "The overall maturity level and disposition, I'd be a bit concerned. Big kid, strong arm. But he's a ways away mentally." Wonderlic of 18.

4. CONNOR COOK, Michigan State (6-4, 216, 4.79, 1-2): Three-year starter and winningest QB (34-5) in Spartans' history. "He has a great release and he improved his feet last year," one scout said. "He won a whole hell of a lot of games. What All-Americans did they have on offense this year with the exception of the left tackle (Jack Conklin), who missed about four (actually two) games? Could he fail? Yes, because I don't really know what his mental makeup is. He has talent." Broke many records set by Kirk Cousins, a three-year captain at MSU from 2009-'11 who is regarded as an all-time leader. "Let's put it this way: he's not Kirk Cousins," another scout said. "The person kills him. Selfish. He goes out too much. It's a tell-tale sign when your teammates don't like you, and I know they don't. He's good, but that position is more than physical attributes. It's also leadership. Is he going to lead your guys? I don't think so. He'll be a starter but I don't think he can lead you to the promised land." Fifth-year senior from Hinckley, Ohio. Passer rating was 95.2, Wonderlic was 25. "He stinks," a third scout said. "Wildly inaccurate (57.5% career). Average arm, average mobility, average field vision. Not a leader. Not aware. Someone will take him in the second, third or fourth round and he's going to disappoint. The owner needs to fire the GM right after they pick him if someone takes him in the first. But when the Buffalo Bills took EJ Manuel in the first, all bets are off."

5. CHRISTIAN HACKENBERG, Penn State (6-4 ½, 222, 4.81, 2-3): Passer ratings were 89.0 as a freshman under coach Bill O'Brien and, under coach James Franklin, 74.2 in '14 and 83.9 in '15. "After his freshman year people looked at him as the first pick in the draft," said one scout. "A premier-type talent like that is so hard to find. He could be as talented as any of these quarterbacks. He's got the arm, the body. He's actually a competitor. But when you look at his career you say, 'Where's the production?'" Third-year junior started all 38 games (21-17). "People can make every excuse in the book for him but he just hasn't done it," another scout said. "He was a Bill O'Brien guy and he had some issues with Franklin. He hangs out more with managers than he does teammates. It tells me he likes to be king of the little people rather than king of the big people." Tendency to hold the ball led partly to 104 career sacks. "He doesn't have a clock in his head," said a third scout. "I understand they had a poor offensive line but that's too many sacks. Throw the ball away. Do something. He has talent but he scares the hell out of me." From Palmyra, Va. Wonderlic of 24. Hands were just 9 inches.

6. DAK PRESCOTT, Mississippi State (6-2, 227, 4.78, 2-3): Billed by the Bulldogs as the most decorated player in their history. "This was not a good team but for two years they competed against the best teams," one scout said. "He was the entire team there. The guy's just a winner. He's got patience, focus, makes quick decisions, good arm strength, nice touch, stands tall in the pocket under pressure." Posted 23-10 record and had a passer rating of 99.6. Also rushed for 2,501 yards and 41 TDs. "He motivated that team, held guys accountable," another scout said. "I just don't see the vision downfield. He's a very streaky thrower. There will be a place for him in the league. I'd take him over Tim Tebow hands down." Arrested for a DUI in mid-March. Wonderlic of 25. "He's got no accuracy, got no vision," said a third scout. "I don't think he's an NFL quarterback." From Haughton, La.

7. JACOBY BRISSETT, North Carolina State (6-3 ½, 230, 4.92, 3): Transferred from Florida after two seasons, sat out 2013 and was the Wolfpack's MVP the past two years. "He has a chance to be a starter," said one scout. "I think he's better than Teddy Bridgewater. He's bigger, got a better arm and better pocket presence, and is a great kid. People will want to work with him. He's got this huge lower body. Guys just have a hard time bringing him down. He's not a speed guy but he's not a slug." Compared by another scout to Daunte Culpepper. "Strong arm with a compact motion," he said. "Just really inconsistent." Compiled a 90.9 passer rating and rushed for 12 TDs. Wonderlic of 24. "He doesn't play fast," a third scout said. "He's methodical. I don't know if he can carry a team on his back." From West Palm Beach, Fla.

8. KEVIN HOGAN, Stanford (6-3, 214, 4.74, 3-4): Posted a 36-10 record, winning three Pacific-12 Conference titles and starting in three Rose Bowls. "He's more ready than Brissett is," one scout said. "He is accurate. He does pretty much everything well. He has a funny release. Doesn't Philip Rivers have a funny release?" His passer rating was 104.2 and his record was 16-6 against AP top 25 opponents. "That (delivery) doesn't bother me," said a second scout. "Sonny Jurgensen had a really weird release. Throws it like Philip Rivers. He's cerebral, smooth." From McLean, Va. "He's your old-time pro QB," said a third scout. "Takes most of his snaps under center. He's good but not anything special." Wonderlic of 38.

ADVERTISING

9. JEFF DRISKEL, Louisiana Tech (6-4, 235, 4.49, 4): Started 21 games in four years at Florida and 13 last year at Louisiana Tech, finishing with a 24-10 record and passer rating of 88.7. "He's got all the tools in the world," one scout said. "You've just got to get over the fact he was a transfer from Florida. He's a little bit of a different kid but you want to talk about talent after the (top) three, he's the next guy. He's more talented than Cook." Easily ran the fastest 40 at the position and had the best broad jump (10-2), too. "Any elite quarterback, he'll test as well as them," said another scout. "His confidence was shot at Florida. It did take a toll on him. He's still developing but there's a huge ceiling." Has a long history of injury. Wonderlic of 29. From Oviedo, Fla.

10. CARDALE JONES, Ohio State (6-5, 250, 4.80, 4-5): Non-qualifier out of Cleveland Glenville High under coach Ted Ginn Sr., redshirted in 2012 and was third string in 2013-'14 until injuries struck. Played spectacularly in three-game stint culminated by a national title. Started eight of the first nine games in '15 before being benched for J.T. Barrett, then declared a year early. "You can't pass a talent like that," said one scout. "If you're going to bet on one, bet on a guy with all the talent if he shows you enough want-to." Passer rating of 97.2, rushed for 617 yards. "Kind of reminds me of a poor man's JaMarcus Russell," said another scout. "At least JaMarcus had some touch. This guy just throws the ball. His mechanics are all over the place." Added a third scout: "Strong arm. Big, big body. Not the brightest cookie in the world. I worry about him when he gets money in his pocket. I just don't know if it's all there mentally." Wonderlic of 25.

11. NATE SUDFELD, Indiana (6-6, 234, 4.93, 5): Three-year starter rewrote the Hoosiers' record book. "Pocket quarterback," said one scout. "Very productive this year. Average arm strength. Love to have him as a No. 3." From Modesto, Calif. Wonderlic of 28. "He did some good things when it didn't count," another scout said. "He could get drafted as high as the fifth. I don't know why the hell you'd do it." Passer rating of 98.0. Added a third scout: "Kind of a heavy-footed guy."

12. JOSH WOODRUM, Liberty (6-3, 228, 4.77, 5-6): Four-year starter with passer rating of 94.1 and Wonderlic of 32. "More sizzle than substance," said one scout. "He's got arm strength, quick release, he's athletic. But something is missing. His accuracy is inconsistent. He doesn't always play smart. He kind of thinks he's better than everything. I never feel he's in complete control of the game." From Roanoke, Va.

OTHERS: Cody Kessler, Southern California; Joel Stave, Wisconsin; Brandon Doughty, Western Kentucky; Brandon Allen, Arkansas; Jake Coker, Alabama; Jake Rudock, Michigan; Trevone Boykin, Texas Christian; Dalyn Williams, Dartmouth.

UNSUNG HERO

Jake Coker, Alabama: Backed up EJ Manual in 2012 and Jameis Winston in '13 at Florida State, graduated early and backed up James Sims at Alabama in '14 before leading Crimson Tide to national title in '15. Passer rating of 98.7, superb size (6-5 ½, 236) and toughness. He's a prospect worth developing.

SCOUTS' NIGHTMARE

Jake Rudock, Michigan: Looks nothing like a prospect with slight build, so-so arm and slow feet. Yet, he improved so dramatically after two lethargic seasons at Iowa to a 10-win season at Wolverines that some scouts regard him as draftable.

PACKERS' PICK TO REMEMBER

Matt Hasselbeck, Boston College: Sixth-round pick in 1998. Spent rookie season on practice squad before serving as No. 2 behind Brett Favre in 1999-'00. Traded in March 2001 along with No. 17 pick to Seattle for No. 10 pick and a third-round choice. Recently retired, ranks 44th in passer rating at 82.4.

QUOTE TO NOTE

AFC personnel man, on the three leading quarterbacks: "One of them's going to be really good, one of them's going to be average and one of them's going to stink. It's a tough call. There isn't clarity.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Saw a mock today with Dak listed as a Low second rounder. SMH

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I'm fully convinced now that he is our third round choice.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
3. PAXTON LYNCH, Memphis (6-6 ½, 246, 4.83, 1): Fourth-year junior. "He's the guy I like," one scout said. "He's got the poise, the vision. You can see what Memphis has done since he's been there. Guy beat Mississippi and put Memphis on the map. Good athlete. Got all the things I look for in a guy." Only other offers out of Deltona, Fla., were from Florida A&M and Bethune-Cookman. "For a tall guy he doesn't act like (Dan) McGwire or somebody," another scout said. "He can get out of trouble. He can run. He can make all the throws. Accuracy is good, not great. Just give him a minute … but Jacksonville gave (Blake) Bortles only four games." His 36-inch vertical jump tied Cardale Jones for best effort among QBs. His passer rating of 93.5 included 110.6 in '15. "You might hit the home run with Lynch but because of the mental you might strike out," a third scout said. "He has the best arm. It ain't even close. That big, tall son of a gun can run, too. He's a little spacy, a little different." Added a fourth scout: "The overall maturity level and disposition, I'd be a bit concerned. Big kid, strong arm. But he's a ways away mentally." Wonderlic of 18.
This is actually some really good stuff and probably why I still really want this guy. My only concern is that wonderlic of 18 is definitely lower then I would prefer. You don't need a genius at QB but you would like a Wonderlic somewhere in the 20's at least. Still everything else about him I think is really promising. And I don't subscribe to the idea that since he is projected to go lower then our first but higher then our second round pick that we just can't have him now. That's just silly. If you like a QB you go out and get them.

Jiggyfly

Banned
This is actually some really good stuff and probably why I still really want this guy. My only concern is that wonderlic of 18 is definitely lower then I would prefer. You don't need a genius at QB but you would like a Wonderlic somewhere in the 20's at least. Still everything else about him I think is really promising. And I don't subscribe to the idea that since he is projected to go lower then our first but higher then our second round pick that we just can't have him now. That's just silly. If you like a QB you go out and get them.
And overvaluing a QB can get you into all kinds of trouble.

I like Lynch but he carries a lot of risk, there are a lot of things about him that have doomed other QB's.

The is some serious QB fever going around, people are making all kinds of excuses to reach on guy just because he is a QB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like Lynch but he carries a lot of risk, there are a lot of things about him that have doomed other QB's.
I don't see a lot of things I don't like with Lynch. He isn't perfect but if you wait around for a perfect QB prospwct you will wait around forever.

On the flipside I love a lot of things with Lynch. Size, athletic ability, throwing power and throwing accuracy are all good or even better then good with him.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I don't see a lot of things I don't like with Lynch. He isn't perfect but if you wait around for a perfect QB prospwct you will wait around forever.

On the flipside I love a lot of things with Lynch. Size, athletic ability, throwing power and throwing accuracy are all good or even better then good with him.
There is difference between perfect and legitimate issues, that is a lazy argument.

The wonderlic is a huge red flag and the system he came out of is another.

There is no way he should be considered at 4, I would have no issue getting him in a trade down but even then I would have to consider who else is available.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The wonderlic is a huge red flag and the system he came out of is another.
The system isn't a huge red flag. Most college teams are running some non-NFL offense.

The wonderlic isn't a massive red flag either. It was better then Marino's 15 and Bradshaws 16. I'd like to see higher then 18, but its hardly a flunkimg grade like you suggest by saying its a HUGE red flag. Personally I think Lynch is a bit underrated at this point.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The system isn't a huge red flag. Most college teams are running some non-NFL offense.

The wonderlic isn't a massive red flag either. It was better then Marino's 15 and Bradshaws 16. I'd like to see higher then 18, but its hardly a flunkimg grade like you suggest by saying its a HUGE red flag. Personally I think Lynch is a bit underrated at this point.
QB's running that type of offense have a very high bust rate.

NFL defenses are much more sophisticated than when Bradshaw and Marino played.

To tell the truth I don't really know what his stock is around the NFL, McShay just said today he should be a 2nd rounder but will probably be picked around 20.

He said he is very developmental and does not have a lot of experience making NFL throws. that is a big red flag IMO.

If he was not a top 10 pick before all of this trading he still should not be one now.

GShock

DCC 4Life
WIDE RECEIVERS

1. LAQUON TREADWELL, Mississippi (6-2, 219, 4.64, 1-2): Third-year junior from Crete-Monee High School in south suburban Chicago. "He's got a lot of traits like Anquan Boldin," said one scout. "His physicality. He won't be the fastest but he does have size and stature. He doesn't run the whole route tree there. Plays with an attitude. A lot of people knock him on the speed but when the ball's at the catch point he comes down with it." Suffered a brutal leg injury in mid-2014 but was back for the start of '15. Finished with a school-record 202 catches (in just 35 games) for 2,393 yards (11.8-yard average) and 21 touchdowns. "Solid," said another scout. "Larry Fitzgerald didn't run well. Even Jerry Rice, he never ran better than 4.6. I hate to get scared off by the time but I would not take him (in the first round)." Won't turn 21 until June. Scored 20 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. "He has no run after the catch ability," a third scout said. "He runs heavy-legged. I don't like him. Everybody's trying to make him out as a No. 1 receiver but he's not."

2. JOSH DOCTSON, Texas Christian (6-2, 203, 4.48, 1-2): Caught 35 passes at Wyoming as a lightly recruited freshman before transferring to TCU, where he broke Mike Renfro's 38-year-old record for most receiving yards (2,785). "Very similar to Treadwell," one scout said. "Treadwell's probably a little bit stronger and more physical. Very polished route runner. Very good hands. Vertical guy. Tracks the ball well." Finished with 215 catches at the two schools for 3,178 (14.8) and 34 TDs. "Great kid," said another scout. "Quiet, smart, reserved. Never have an issue." Tied Sterling Shepard for best vertical jump (41 inches) among WRs and led the top players at the position in the broad jump (10-11). "First round," said a third scout. "Everybody was questioning his 40 time but he ran (fast) at the combine. That puts him in there automatically. He's got great hands." From Mansfield, Texas.

3. COREY COLEMAN, Baylor (5-10 ½, 193, 4.38, 2): Fourth-year junior from Richardson, Texas. "He is a slot but he could play outside," said one scout. "He's a No. 2. His play speed is good and he's athletic. Baylor guys have a lot to learn because of the way they play. On their backside, they don't even come off the line and you don't really block." Vertical jump of 40 ½, broad jump of 10-9 and the second-fastest 40 of the top 15 WRs. "He's very thick and strong and short," a second scout said. "Explosive run after the catch guy. He's like Anquan Boldin." Finished with 173 receptions for 3,009 (17.4) and 33 TDs. "He doesn't have great hands but he has solid hands," said a third scout. "Part of his (catching) issue is they went through four quarterbacks this year at Baylor." Wonderlic of 10.

4. WILL FULLER, Notre Dame (6-0, 189, 4.33, 2): Compared by one scout to Mike Wallace. "In that he doesn't have great hands and he's fast as hell," the scout said. "He can make somebody run deep and then throw the ball underneath. He's going to be a smoother route runner than Mike." His small hands (8 ¼ inches) no doubt contributed to a reported 21 drops the past two years. "He's been clocked as low as 4.28," another scout said. "Frail body so he'll have his drop issues across the middle in traffic. If you pressed him they went vertical fade. If they played off they ran a stop route. I never saw him come inside. DeSean Jackson is the same way." Third-year junior finished with 144 catches for 2,512 (17.4) and 30 TDs. "If you want somebody to scare a defense, that's the guy," a third scout said. "His hands aren't the best. Not a great route runner, not a lot of toughness inside. Somebody might take him bottom of the first round. Each year, somebody runs fast, they get taken high." From Philadelphia.

5. MICHAEL THOMAS, Ohio State (6-3, 212, 4.56, 2-3): Fourth-year junior declared after starting 27 of 37 games. "Long strider, nonexplosive," said one scout. "Had his issues with drops. You like the size. He's somewhat of a diva. Takes after his uncle (Keyshawn Johnson) a little bit. Once you get to know him I think you can channel him. I see him as No. 3." Finished with 113 catches for 1,602 (14.2) and 18 TDs. "He's a build to speed guy," another scout said. "He's just so damn inconsistent. He could be the best blocker. He can crush people. He just doesn't do it all the time. He's got great catching range, all this and that. He also drops balls." From Woodland Hills, Calif.

6. TYLER BOYD, Pittsburgh (6-1 ½, 196, 4.56, 3): Third-year junior from Clairton, Pa., where his high school team went 63-1 in four years and he scored a record 117 TDs. "Came from a tough area outside Pittsburgh," one scout said. "Poverty-stricken area, real street kid." Had a DUI in June. "You've got to have the right people around this kid but everyone (at Pitt) genuinely likes this kid," another scout said. "Where he's from there is nothing. He's not a bad kid." Rewrote the Pitt record book, finishing with 254 catches for 3,361 (13.2) and 21 TDs in 38 games (33 starts). "Nifty, quick feet," a scout said. "Can really snap routes off. He's not going to win any tough-guy contests. He'd sooner play on the perimeter than in the middle." Didn't run well and his athletic numbers were pedestrian. "Even though he may not have the great speed I think he's underrated," another scout said. "He will be a good pro."

7. STERLING SHEPARD, Oklahoma (5-10, 193, 4.44, 3): Started 41 of 50 games. "He's a slot," one scout said. "He's quick, he's shifty, knows how to play. Not the biggest and toughest. He doesn't play as fast as he times but he should do well in there. Randall Cobb has more grit, versatility, big-play stuff." He and Aaron Burbridge tied for most reps (20) on the bench press among WRs. "He is (just a slot), but most teams run 60, 65% of their offense in a three-wide receiver package," a second scout said. "So he's going to be on the field a lot. He's very steady. Really good hands. Very good route runner." Finished with 233 catches for 3,482 (14.9) and 26 TDs. "He's not a real fast guy and not a real (big) guy, but he just has that knack and he's a pretty good punt returner," a third scout said. Father, Derrick, was an NFL WR from 1987-'91. From Oklahoma City.

8. BRAXTON MILLER, Ohio State (6-1 ½, 202, 4.45, 3): Moved to WR in 2015 because of a right shoulder injury that required two operations and the Buckeyes' surplus of QBs. Went 22-2 with an NFL passer rating of 100.0 and rushed for 33 rushing TDs as a QB; Big Ten MVP in 2012 and '13. "Kind of like the Percy Harvin kid where they just get him the ball and let him be an athlete," one scout said. "He's still raw at receiver. Kind of an introverted kid. Not a big personality. I wouldn't take him before the third. Just average smarts." Scored 9 on the Wonderlic a year ago before improving to 19 on his second attempt. "He is a project, but a worthwhile project," a second scout said. "He's got speed, and he's probably the best runner of the football of the whole group." Started seven of 13 games in the slot, catching 26 for 341 (13.1) and three TDs. "I really have my doubts right now," said a third scout. "There's a long way for him to go. He's an athlete, but draft him high? Not me." From Huber Heights, Ohio.

9. LEONTE CARROO, Rutgers (6-0, 211, 4.48, 3-4): Scarlet Knights' MVP last season. "He's a better player than Mohamed Sanu coming out of there," one scout said. "He's a No. 2 for sure, and if he's a No. 3 you've got a hell of a receiving corps. He can play inside or outside. He's got speed, he's tough, got ball skills, good run after (the catch). In and out of the lineup with injury and character issues." Two-year starter with 122 receptions for 2,373 (19.5) and 29 TDs. "He's James Jones," another scout said. "Little faster, but big and strong hands and a strong runner after the catch." From Edison, N.J.

10. DeMARCUS ROBINSON, Florida (6-1 ½, 203, 4.58, 3-6): Third-year junior from Fort Valley, Ga., who has admitted to three failed drug tests and has undergone rehabilitation. "Father shot himself (suicide) when he was 2 years old," said one scout. "Not arrogant or surly or anything. But I wouldn't even mess with him." Managed to play 32 games (20 starts) in three years despite repeated suspensions and benchings. Finished with 106 catches for 1,355 (12.8) and nine TDs. "He's a gifted kid but you've got to get past all the off-the-field stuff," another scout said. "He has a whole slew of things but somebody will ignore it. Third round." Wonderlic of 15. Added a third scout: "I don't care. He is (expletive) talented. You should see him run after the catch."

11. AARON BURBRIDGE, Michigan State (6-0, 205, 4.50, 4): Finally got a chance to be theguy in 2015 and hauled in 85 passes. "Physical," said one scout. "Strong hands. Had some drops latter part of the season. Had a great pro day. Not a burner. Less than 9-inch hands (8 ¼), and that always scares you." Finished with 165 catches for 2,174 (13.2) and 10 TDs. "You can have him," another scout said. "Drops too many footballs. Why do you think the quarterback (Connor Cook) struggled a little bit this year? He had receivers that dropped balls." Wonderlic of 27 was best score by a top-15 WR. From Farmington Hills, Mich.

12. MALCOLM MITCHELL, Georgia (5-11 ½, 197, 4.43, 4): Blew out his ACL in the 2013 opener and was still having problems with the knee at the Senior Bowl. "The key will be the medical," said one scout. "The knee is a concern. He's got talent. At his pro-day workout he worked out as a corner." Highly rated CB out of Valdosta, Ga., and actually started three games there in '12. Finished with 174 catches for 2,350 (13.5) and 16 TDs. "Steady eddie," another scout said. "Very bright kid. Great character kid. Been a good producer."

OTHERS: Charone Peake, Clemson; Pharoh Cooper, South Carolina; Tajae Sharpe, Massachusetts; Jordan Payton, UCLA; Keyarris Garrett, Tulsa; Kolby Listenbee, Texas Christian; Chris Moore, Cincinnati; Trevor Davis, California; Roger Lewis, Bowling Green; Ricardo Louis, Auburn; Moritz Boehringer, Aalen University (Germany).

ADVERTISING

TIGHT ENDS

1. HUNTER HENRY, Arkansas (6-5, 251, 4.67, 1-2): Third-year junior from Little Rock, Ark. "Very soft hands," one scout said. "Good route runner. Gets open consistently. Really good size and can get bigger and stronger to play on the line of scrimmage. He may not be the athlete that Tyler Eifert is but a similar type receiver. High character kid." Started 30 of 38 games, finishing with 116 receptions for 1,661 (14.3) and nine TDs. His father captained the Razorbacks in '91. "At least he does it (block), and he does it pretty well," said a second scout. "You hit on him, he's going to be a good player. Heath Miller is a good comparison." Wonderlic of 28. "He can be a big-timer," said a third scout. "He can catch the heck out of it. He runs good. He's not a point-of-attack guy but he'll give you enough (blocking) to be a pain in the (expletive). He's not like some guys that are strictly flex." Added a fourth scout: "He's not a dynamic, special-athlete, difference-maker like Jordan Reed or Tyler Eifert or Zach Ertz or Travis Kelce."

2. AUSTIN HOOPER, Stanford (6-3 ½, 253, 4.70, 2-3): Redshirted in 2013, started 27 games in 2014-'15 and then renounced final two years of eligibility. "Comes from a great athletic family," said one scout. "Measures his words when he talks. He tries to be like the smartest guy in the room, and he could be." Wonderlic of 29. From San Ramon, Calif. "He's OK," said another scout. "He's a low-end starter. He blocks well, he catches well. He just doesn't have any extra gears after the catch and no extra dominance after the block." Caught 74 passes for 937 (12.7) and eight TDs. "Very much more of a receiver," said a third scout. "He's a little undersized but he's a good receiver. He's an off-the-line tight end, which is the thing in the NFL now." Hands (10 5/8) were largest among TEs.

3. NICK VANNETT, Ohio State (6-6, 256, 4.87, 3): Fifth-year senior had to wait until '15 to start. "Like him," one scout said. "Gives you a combination of blocking and possession receiver kind of like the Mark Bavaro's of the world. I'd say he's gone by the third round." Wonderlic of 34 was the highest of the top nine TEs. "He's just a regular ol' guy," another scout said. "Gives some effort blocking but he's not very strong and a non-factor in the pass game." Finished with 55 catches for 585 (10.6) and six TDs. "He's your old-school tight end," a third scout said. "He's a better player than Richard Rodgers." Clocked the same 40 time as the Packers TE. From Westerville, Ohio.

4. JERELL ADAMS, South Carolina (6-5, 250, 4.63, 3-4): Prep quarterback from Pinewood, S.C. "Straight-line speed, pretty good athlete and solid, not special hands," one scout said. "Still learning a lot in the blocking game using his power. He's a No. 2 at best, a No. 3 early on." Started just 15 of 47 games, finishing with 66 receptions for 977 (14.8) and seven TDs. "He's got all the physical skills in the world," another scout said. "What holds him back is what's between his ears (Wonderlic of 15). Does he have the will to work through his deficiencies? That's what you have to ask yourself. He's explosively talented." Longest arms (34 3/8 inches) of the TEs. "Tough guy," a third scout said. "Got some athletic ability. He's just not real good mentally."

5. TYLER HIGBEE, Western Kentucky (6-5 ½, 250, 4.75, 3-7): Shifted from WR to TE in 2013. "Interesting guy but durability is the question," one scout said. "He was productive. He has skills." Caught 68 passes for 1,054 (15.5) and 14 TDs in 38 games. Wonderlic of 22. "He's all banged up," another scout said. "Little bit of pass-catching skills but doesn't block at all." Was arrested April 10 near campus and charged with assault, evading police and public intoxication. According to one personnel man who investigated, Higbee slugged a man who was hitting on his girlfriend after a night of beer drinking. That scout was understanding of Higbee's behavior, but another wasn't. "He's an idiot," said that personnel man. "That kind of goes with his personality, his reputation. He probably goes undrafted now. He's already hurt (knee)." From Clearwater, Fla.

6. TEMARRICK HEMINGWAY, South Carolina State (6-5, 242, 4.72, 4): Three-year starter from Loris, S.C. "He has unbelievably long arms (34)," one scout said. "Good athlete. There's a lot of things he can improve upon. He never really had formal coaching. He'll be a mid-to-late round guy that in a couple years he's going to be a solid starter. He already graduated in business. Sweet kid. He's got really good intangibles but it will take a little while to get there." Finished with 92 receptions for 1,080 (11.7) and three TDs. "People are trying to make it like he's an athletic fast guy but he's really not," another scout said. "Just kind of has average skills."

7. DEVON CAJUSTE, Stanford (6-3 ½, 232, 4.60, 4-5): Started 18 of 32 games as a slot WR. "Kind of my sleeper," one scout said. "That son of a guy is talented talented. Now he's a weird kid but he's talented. Not a tight end. He'd be a big slot. Excellent athlete." Ran the fastest three-cone drill (6.49 seconds) of anyone at the combine. "He's that new breed of receiving tight end," another scout said. "Put him in the slot. I like him to a point." Had 63 receptions for 1,206 (19.1) and 11 TDs. "Tough, hard-nosed blocker," said a third scout. "Boy, this guy likes to sneak up on 'em. He (hit) a couple guys from UCLA and turned 'em thistle end up, I'll tell you. ... He's one of those gliders and sliders in that you don't have to be real fast but you time where you pop open in the seam. He'd be that fourth or fifth wide receiver who comes in on third down because he can block and catch in traffic." From Seaford, N.Y. Wonderlic of 28.

8. RYAN MALLECK, Virginia Tech (6-4 ½, 248, 4.81, 5-6): Sat out 2013 with a rotator-cuff injury. Started 32 of 52 games, catching 62 passes for 658 (10.6) and four TDs. "He's a good player because he does everything right," one scout said. "He's not flashy. He's steady." From Point Pleasant, N.J. "Not big enough to be a 'Y' (blocking TE) and not really fast or a threat as a receiver," another scout said. "He knows how to find holes but he's not going to beat anybody worth a damn in man coverage. If he makes it you're looking to do better."

OTHERS: Beau Sandland, Montana State; Ben Braunecker, Harvard; David Morgan, Texas-San Antonio; Stephen Anderson, California; Seth DeValve, Princeton; Bryce Williams, East Carolina; Thomas Duarte, UCLA; Henry Krieger-Coble, Iowa.

UNSUNG HERO

David Morgan, TE, Texas-San Antonio: One of the first legitimate prospects from the Roadrunners' six-year-old program. Maybe the best heavy-duty blocker in the draft. His 29 reps on the bench press paced all TEs. Tested well athletically but slow 40 (4.92) might be too much to overcome.

SCOUTS' NIGHTMARE

Moritz Boehringer, WR, Aalen University (Germany): Played one year of pseudo-pro football in his homeland but wowed scouts during a workout in Florida this month. At 6-4 ½ and 227, he ran 4.41 (with a stunning 1.49 10-yard split), had a 39-inch vertical jump, ran 6.68 in the three-cone and posted 28 on the Wonderlic. Green Bay was one of the teams he visited. Would be the project of all projects.

PACKERS' PICK TO REMEMBER

Corey Bradford, WR, Jackson State: Sideline deep threat drafted in the fifth round in 1998. Started 10 of 42 games from 1998-'01, catching 71 passes for 1,190 yards (16.8) and seven TDs. Signed a three-year, $5.25 million unrestricted free-agent deal with Houston in March 2002. Started every game for the Texans in '02. Also played for the Lions and Redskins; career ended in September 2007. Finished with 215 catches for a 15.6 average and 25 TDs.

QUOTE TO NOTE

Veteran scout: "I used to spend more time in the SWAC than I did in the SEC. Alabama vs. LSU now was Grambling vs. Jackson State in the 1970s. That's where all the first-round picks were."

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I would take Michael Thomas, Braxton Miller and Sterling Shepard before I would take Will Fuller.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
To tell the truth I don't really know what his stock is around the NFL, McShay just said today he should be a 2nd rounder but will probably be picked around 20.

He said he is very developmental and does not have a lot of experience making NFL throws. that is a big red flag IMO.

If he was not a top 10 pick before all of this trading he still should not be one now.
Yeah NFL Network is propping him as a potential top 10 pick now. I agree though, if you didn't think he was good enough to go in the top 10 before, it shouldn't change that now. But I think value and stock is all relative. If the Cowboys look at Lynch and think 2 years from now he can be a really good starting QB, then I don't really care if we burn a top 10 pick on him. It doesn't matter to me if his "stock" is as a second rounder according to McShay or Kiper. It's not like Lynch burst onto the scene from nowhere. This is a guy who during the season was being projected as in a dead heat with Goff for the top QB spot. Obviously things have changed since the season ended but I've always really liked Lynch.

And when people talk about learning curve that's fine. There will be one. Andy Dalton's offensive coordinator was Justin Fuente though and he transitioned pretty damn quickly to the NFL. Obviously Justin Fuente was the head coach for Memphis the last 3 seasons and developed Lynch into what he is now.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yeah NFL Network is propping him as a potential top 10 pick now. I agree though, if you didn't think he was good enough to go in the top 10 before, it shouldn't change that now. But I think value and stock is all relative. If the Cowboys look at Lynch and think 2 years from now he can be a really good starting QB, then I don't really care if we burn a top 10 pick on him. It doesn't matter to me if his "stock" is as a second rounder according to McShay or Kiper. It's not like Lynch burst onto the scene from nowhere. This is a guy who during the season was being projected as in a dead heat with Goff for the top QB spot. Obviously things have changed since the season ended but I've always really liked Lynch.

And when people talk about learning curve that's fine. There will be one. Andy Dalton's offensive coordinator was Justin Fuente though and he transitioned pretty damn quickly to the NFL. Obviously Justin Fuente was the head coach for Memphis the last 3 seasons and developed Lynch into what he is now.
So you would be totally fine drafting Dalton in the top 10?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So you would be totally fine drafting Dalton in the top 10?
I think Lynch is in a different world in terms of physical talent but it does raise an interesting point. Dalton is a good QB but not great. He gets his team to the playoffs basically every year but then doesn't get them anywhere once he is in the playoffs. Last year was probably his best season statistically when he posted a 106.3 QB rating.

I probably would use a top 10 pick on Andy Dalton. Making the playoffs every year and having a good competent offense sure as hell beats a lot of other NFL teams. You just have to make sure to build a really strong offense around him.

Top Bottom