Patriots release Dominique Easley in stunning move

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The NFL Editor
Published: April 13, 2016 at 03:51 p.m. Updated: April 13, 2016 at 04:31 p.m.
Former first-round pick Dominique Easley played exceedingly well for the New England Patriots last season when he was healthy. That makes the defensive lineman's release all the more surprising.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Easley was released on Wednesday after playing only 22 games over two seasons. Tom Curran of Comcast SportsNet New England first reported the news.

While injuries have been an issue for Easley, it's hard not to wonder if there is more to the story here. Patriots coach Bill Belichick called Easley an "explosive player that is very disruptive" before last season. Easley only played 275 snaps last year, but he looked like one of the team's best defensive players when healthy. To put it in perspective: ProFootball Focus ranked him as the No. 12 defensive tackle in the league despite the limited playing time.

Easley tore his ACL in both knees in college and ended his rookie season in 2014 with a knee injury. He tore his quadriceps in 2015.

Easley's departure leaves the Patriots thinner on a defensive line that already lost pass rusher Chandler Jones this offseason. Easley had the flexibility to play defensive end or defensive tackle for a team that is thin up the middle. The team has 2015 first-round pick Malcolm Brown, veteran Alan Branch, and recent pickup Terrance Knighton at defensive tackle.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Please someone remind me again how good the Pats are at drafting. I hated this guy all the way back when people wanted him in Dallas.

D

Deuce

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The NFL Editor
Published: April 13, 2016 at 03:51 p.m. Updated: April 13, 2016 at 04:31 p.m.
Former first-round pick Dominique Easley played exceedingly well for the New England Patriots last season when he was healthy. That makes the defensive lineman's release all the more surprising.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Easley was released on Wednesday after playing only 22 games over two seasons. Tom Curran of Comcast SportsNet New England first reported the news.

While injuries have been an issue for Easley, it's hard not to wonder if there is more to the story here. Patriots coach Bill Belichick called Easley an "explosive player that is very disruptive" before last season. Easley only played 275 snaps last year, but he looked like one of the team's best defensive players when healthy. To put it in perspective: ProFootball Focus ranked him as the No. 12 defensive tackle in the league despite the limited playing time.

Easley tore his ACL in both knees in college and ended his rookie season in 2014 with a knee injury. He tore his quadriceps in 2015.

Easley's departure leaves the Patriots thinner on a defensive line that already lost pass rusher Chandler Jones this offseason. Easley had the flexibility to play defensive end or defensive tackle for a team that is thin up the middle. The team has 2015 first-round pick Malcolm Brown, veteran Alan Branch, and recent pickup Terrance Knighton at defensive tackle.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Please someone remind me again how good the Pats are at drafting. I hated this guy all the way back when people wanted him in Dallas.
Ya, hardly a player I'd want on my team.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
There is something else behind this. Has to be more than injury for them to pay him to go away.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
The Pats have consistently had odd drafts and what often appear like reaches but it works for them most of the time. Belichick and Brady make it work. It comes down to having great coaching and a QB.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Tom Brady covers a lot of warts. When he's gone, I see that team falling hard and fast.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
When Brady retires that franchise is going to go to shit. I'm assuming Belichick will follow him out the door.

Those two cover up for a very average roster. It really speaks to their greatness.

dallen

Senior Tech
Brady covers a lot of warts, but they also know that drafting is all about collecting enough picks so that the misses don't hurt as much

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Has to be more to the story...Aaron Hernandez 2.0?

DLK150

DCC 4Life
NESN.com confirmed through a league source the reports that Easley’s release is related more to off-field issues than on-field play. He was a solid contributor in 2015 as a third-down interior rusher before his season ended prematurely because of a quad injury suffered in Week 14. Easley is facing a lawsuit in Palm Beach County (Fla.), the National Football Post’s Aaron Wilson reported Wednesday after the release. Wiley Brown alleges Easley’s dog bit him on April 25. Brown is seeking $15,000 in damages from Easley for suffering “bodily injury, pain and suffering, disability, disfigurement, scarring, mental anguish, medical bills, loss of enjoyment of life, all of said injures are permanent within a reasonable degree of medical probability.” The lawsuit states Easley was “negligent in failing to restrain his dog, failing to leash the dog and-or keep the dog restrained and negligent in failing to keep a dangerous dog from biting plaintiff.”
http://nesn.com/2016/04/dominique-easley-released-by-patriots-due-to-off-field-issues-not-play/

Go ahead Jerrah, sign him to one of your patented cap friendly deals so he can be suspended for the first four games. It's the hip thing with the Cowboys these days.

dallen

Senior Tech
Can we sign him to a 4 game contract?

Top Bottom