DNA test reveals NJ twins have different fathers

Jiggyfly

Banned
DNA test reveals NJ twins have different fathers
FOX News

Research shows that the odds of a set of twins being conceived from two separate fathers is 1 in 13,000, and yet a paternity test has revealed that’s exactly what happened in one New Jersey family.

According to court documents, the mother, identified only as “T.M.,” gave birth to twin girls January 2013 and named a man, identified as “A.S.,” the father of both children when she applied for child support. But when she revealed she had sex with both A.S. and another man within a week of each other, social services requested a DNA test.

DNA expert Dr. Karl-Hanz Wurzinger testified that the test results delivered in November 2014 revealed there was a 99.9 percent chance that the two eggs were fertilized from two different fathers during the same menstrual cycle.

A 1997 study authored by Wurzinger suggests there’s a 1 in 13,000 chance of the incidence, based on reported paternity tests involving twins.

The New Jersey paternity case is the state’s first to feature two fathers with a set of twins, and the third nationwide. NJ.com reported.

In light of the test results, judge Sohail Mohammed ruled that “A.S.” does not have to pay child support for the twin he didn’t father, and pay $28 a week for the one he did. The other twin’s father has not been named.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If there are two separate fathers they are not twins.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Imagine the other man's jubilation turn to shock and horror when Maury reveals that he, too, IS the father.

data

Forbes #1
If there are two separate fathers they are not twins.
Fraternal twins, maybe? As long as they share the same egg, that's a twin, no?

...and 1 in 13,000 seems way too frequent.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Fraternal twins, maybe? As long as they share the same egg, that's a twin, no?

...and 1 in 13,000 seems way too frequent.
There is no indication they shared the same egg is there? I was under the impression there were two seperate fertilizations on the same day but I could be wrong. The article refers to two eggs by the expert witness. I conclude they are step brothers.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is no indication they shared the same egg is there? I was under the impression there were two seperate fertilizations on the same day but I could be wrong. The article refers to two eggs by the expert witness. I conclude they are step brothers.
They would actually be half brothers. Step brothers is when you have no genetic relation. These two share a mother I would assume.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
They would still be twins if they came from the same pregnancy, but half-fraternal twins is weird. It would be hilarious if one was black and the other was white.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
They would still be twins if they came from the same pregnancy, but half-fraternal twins is weird. It would be hilarious if one was black and the other was white.
According to the article there were two seperate eggs and two seperate fathers. I don't think that fits the critera for twins. C Rock ifentifies then as half brothers and I agree.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
According to the article there were two seperate eggs and two seperate fathers. I don't think that fits the critera for twins. C Rock ifentifies then as half brothers and I agree.
Wrong.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=11428

Twin: One of two children produced in the same pregnancy. Twins can develop from one ovum (egg) or from two ova (eggs).

Paternity is not mentioned in any definition of twin that I could find.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This is the dumbest argument in the history of the DCCs.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
This is the dumbest argument in the history of the DCCs.
I thought the 3 years/2 years dust up last week was supposed to have that honor. It got beat out already?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I thought the 3 years/2 years dust up last week was supposed to have that honor. It got beat out already?
It was a close race, but this one edged it out.

dallen

Senior Tech
I dunno... arguing over the dumbest argument in DCC history may just be the dumbest argument in DCC history.

Top Bottom