The Running Back position will doom us or not thread...

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
In this whole Murray discussion I think people are missing the fact that he hasn't been able to stay healthy for a whole year minus one year. Add to that the load he took this year (enter Carp stage left), and you have a hope and a prayer he can stay healthy.
same with McFadden though. Except McFadden has never had any where close to Murray's production.

I have said all along that it is fine if they look at those problems that you noted, and want to move on from Murray. the problem is, they had to replace him but they didn't.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
same with McFadden though. Except McFadden has never had any where close to Murray's production.

I have said all along that it is fine if they look at those problems that you noted, and want to move on from Murray. the problem is, they had to replace him but they didn't.
I wasn't meaning the convo about replacing him or not... more about what we lost in him when he left. We lost a player that has been oft-injured and had only one good year in which we ran him into the ground. I obviously agree that we should have done more in replacing him as is apparent in my rants in the draft thread and since. I just don't think we lost as much as others do when we didn't resign him.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
We lost a lot by not re-signing Murray...but he was usually nicked up and fumbled at the most inopportune times of a game.

I don't think McFadden is going to be anywhere near the runner Murray was, and Randle isn't the answer either.

This season could have been real promising by drafting a decent RB.

townsend

Banned
We lost a lot by not re-signing Murray...but he was usually nicked up and fumbled at the most inopportune times of a game.

I don't think McFadden is going to be anywhere near the runner Murray was, and Randle isn't the answer either.

Is that really enough for you to call doom and gloom on this season? I feel like the massive overhaul in defense and the addition of Collins should easily put us over the rest of the NFC east. Then we just have to hope we get lucky. In the last 7 years, two mediocre ass Giants teams won the SB with less.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jerry Jones sees Dallas Cowboys with better run game in 2015

IRVING, Texas -- DeMarco Murray and his NFL-leading 1,845 yards are in Philadelphia with the Eagles. Bill Callahan, one of the architects of the Dallas Cowboys' running game in 2014, is in Washington with the Redskins.

Yet when Jerry Jones looks at the Cowboys' running game of 2015, he sees improvement.

"We're better," Jones said Wednesday at the Cowboys sponsors golf tournament. "Murray certainly is in that thought, but what we've got a chance to do with our depth, what we've got a chance to do with the talent, the competition that we have, and I'm assuming we can protect (Tony) Romo, which standing here last year, the concerns about his surgeries were more so than today. So if Romo can have the kind of year he had last year, then our running game will benefit from that. I'm talking about his individual abilities, his decision making throwing the ball."

In Jones' answer, he is talking about the total running game; not just the running backs. He is talking about the offensive line, which added La'el Collins, a first-round talent as an undrafted free agency. He is talking about the blocking of the tight ends and wide receivers. He is talking about new offensive line coach Frank Pollack, who learned under Callahan as a college player and again as an NFL assistant coach.

The Cowboys have expressed confidence in Murray's replacements -- Darren McFadden, Joseph Randle, Lance Dunbar and Ryan Williams -- but it is based on belief rather than past production.

The job description will be different than last year when Murray dominated the work.

"I can't say who is going to be the lead dog right now, but those guys are going to compete and we're going to do what's necessary to win games," running backs coach Gary Brown said.

The competition starts now in the offseason and will carry through training camp and the preseason games before the Sept. 13 opener against the New York Giants.

Coach Jason Garrett has said the Cowboys' attack will be centered around the run game as it was in 2014, but he isn't ready to step out on the ledge like Jones and say it will be better.

"It certainly has a chance to be," Garrett said. "We've added the offensive linemen … and guys from the draft, some young guys who will be good competition, again both for the starting position and the backup roles. That is a good thing for your team. I do think another year in the system helps everybody. Obviously losing DeMarco Murray matters. DeMarco was a significant piece to our offensive success last year and he's not with us. But that gives other guys opportunities. When guys retire and guys move on to other teams and guys get injured, it provides opportunities for other players. We're excited to see how these guys do stepping up into those roles."

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member

Do you honestly think they are going with what they have at RB? I sure don't. Since the draft it has been said many times by team writers that if it were not for Gregory falling Dallas would have taken Duke Johnson at #60. Does that sound like a team that thinks they are for sure set at RB?

It sounds like they are going to make a trade. My sources are telling me (:art) that Lamar Miller may be a guy they are considering trading for. He isn't someone that is going to make people say "OMFG just start printing the Super Bowl tickets now!" but he had a strong season in Miami last year (look at his numbers if you aren't aware of what he did last season), still has one cheap year left, and wouldn't cost much in the way of draft picks.

Who knows for sure if it will be him, but I am convinced they are going to get someone along these lines. If they do then WGAS if they didn't draft a RB this year? I don't know that any of the RBs Dallas had a legit shot at in the draft are going to be better than, say, Lamar Miller in 2015. They can bring in a proven, capable NFL RB like this for 2015 and should be fine with the stable they have. Then they can draft a RB next season if they right guy is there at the right pick.

I think it is just very presumptuous to say in May that "the season could have been real promising". And it won't be now, simply because they didn't get a RB in the middle rounds? Feh. The Cowboys are in position to make a trade and I believe they are looking at scenarios.

Now, if they don't make a move for a Lamar Miller or comparable RB I am going to question WTF they are thinking, I am just confident that they are going to make a move.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

So why is Randle not a decent RB but someone like Ajayi would have been?

hstour

Brand New Member
So why is Randle not a decent RB but someone like Ajayi would have been?
I'd ask the same question. Randle's pro day measurable were an almost exact match to Melvin Gordon's.

I can tell you that Randle has much better vision than Murray. How many times on game threads were comments made about Murray running to contact, not away from it.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I'm a little nervous but not as worried as some. I think the run game will be just fine.

hstour

Brand New Member
I don't think you have to have a "bell cow" back. Sure Dallas had Emmitt, but All Time Leading Rushers don't come around that often. Ask all the RBs between Jim Brown, Walter Payton and Smith.

Teams have shown that RBBC can work. I think the current SB Champions used that approach last year with Gray, Vereen, Ridley & Blount.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Totally delusional. He has unfounded optimism in two unreliable players in McFadden and Randle.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Teams have shown that RBBC can work. I think the current SB Champions used that approach last year with Gray, Vereen, Ridley & Blount.
Um, yeah, that's with a superior QB and above all else, head coach who can turn the run game on and off based on the opponent.

So tired of this ridiculous and weak comparison.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd ask the same question. Randle's pro day measurable were an almost exact match to Melvin Gordon's.

I can tell you that Randle has much better vision than Murray. How many times on game threads were comments made about Murray running to contact, not away from it.
He was productive in college. Played great last year. He has good size for the position. Has shown the ability to break tackles and break long runs. The hatred and dislike for Randle doesn't make any sense to me. Now maybe the guy won't be capable of handling the ball 15-20 times a game but no one really knows that at this point.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

:lol

Now we are looking at Pro Day measureables? If he's as good as Gordon, why on earth was Randle hanging around in the fifth round?

At least Ajayi had a knee that scared teams off. What was Randle's excuse?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You're right. The guy is a grade one idiot off the field. But I don't really give a shit as long as he doesn't get suspended.
If he cannot even make effective life decisions, I don't entrust the football in his hands.

It is not like he's some drug addict or something. He's just plain effing stupid and immature. There is a difference.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If he cannot even make effective life decisions, I don't entrust the football in his hands.

It is not like he's some drug addict or something. He's just plain effing stupid and immature. There is a difference.
I remember you saying the same stuff about Dez. Who you also despised when we drafted him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I remember you saying the same stuff about Dez. Who you also despised when we drafted him.
So yeah, the big difference was talent. Bryant has elite talent, I never denied that.

Average talent + stupid = Randle.

Try something else, you are embarrassing yourself.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So yeah, the big difference was talent. Bryant has elite talent, I never denied that.

Average talent + stupid = Randle.

Try something else, you are embarrassing yourself.
The stupid has nothing to do with anything he has done on the field. But maybe the stupid is rubbing off on your cranky ass.

Top Bottom