Machota: Stephen - DEs DeMarcus Lawrence, Ryan Russell could see time at DT

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Stephen Jones: Defensive ends DeMarcus Lawrence, Ryan Russell could see time at DT

Jon Machota Email jmachota@dallasnews.com
Published: May 12, 2015 2:16 pm

The defensive tackle position is one of the most misunderstood aspects of Rod Marinelli’s 4-3 defensive scheme. Many were left scratching their heads when the Cowboys passed on Sharrif Floyd early in the 2013 draft. Under Marinelli’s guidance, Dallas usually doesn’t put first-round value on the position.

But it was a surprise to some that the Cowboys did not select a defensive tackle with any of their eight picks in this year’s draft.

When Dallas was on the clock with the 27th pick in the first round, some were hoping the Cowboys would take Texas’ Malcom Brown, who went to New England five picks later. During a conference call with season-ticket holders last week, Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones explained why they didn’t.

“Malcom Brown is a great football player and we did have him on our board,” Jones said. “He’s not the perfect ideal fit in Coach Marinelli’s system. He’s obviously a big physical player. But with Rod, in terms of what we look for with our under tackle, our three-technique — and it’s what Tyrone Crawford plays for us. Russell Maryland did it back when [Jimmy Johnson] was here, coaching the 4-3 when we went to Super Bowls. Leon Lett did it. — We call it a quick twitch.

“Those guys are real quick coming off the ball. Not that Malcom isn’t, but he’s more of a physical, what they call a two-gap defensive tackle, a nose tackle. We were really looking for people who pressure the quarterback in this draft, so we put a premium on that.”

Nick Hayden has been the Cowboys’ starting one-technique tackle the previous two seasons and will likely do so again in 2015. Behind him will be Terrell McClain, a player that will also see time at the three-technique.

Tyrone Crawford is Dallas’ starting three-technique tackle. According to Jones, DeMarcus Lawrence and rookie Ryan Russell could see some time playing that spot as well.

“Well, McClain, we feel really good about,” Jones said. “He’s kind of the backup nose, the backup defensive tackle for both sides in terms of those two tackle spots. The other one who will be able to play some tackle is DeMarcus Lawrence. He can slide down in there in sub packages and rush the passer. And then Ryan Russell, you can already see is 6-4, 270 pounds, has the frame to put on some more weight. He could be a guy ultimately who might swing down inside and give some rush there as well.

“We think it’s a really good group and one that’s going to have more depth than we’ve ever had. A lot of skills there. We think we’ll be much improved in that defensive line.”

vince

Not So New Member
This reads like they're trying to imitate the 90s team to a tee.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Stephen Jones: DeMarcus Lawrence, Ryan Russell could play DT at times; why Malcom Brown didn’t fit

Jon Machota Email jmachota@dallasnews.com

Published: May 12, 2015 2:16 pm

The defensive tackle position is one of the most misunderstood aspects of Rod Marinelli’s 4-3 defensive scheme. Many were left scratching their heads when the Cowboys passed on Sharrif Floyd early in the 2013 draft. Under Marinelli’s guidance, Dallas usually doesn’t put first-round value on the position.

But it was a surprise to some that the Cowboys did not select a defensive tackle with any of their eight picks in this year’s draft.

When Dallas was on the clock with the 27th pick in the first round, some were hoping the Cowboys would take Texas’ Malcom Brown, who went to New England five picks later. During a conference call with season-ticket holders last week, Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones explained why they didn’t.

“Malcom Brown is a great football player and we did have him on our board,” Jones said. “He’s not the perfect ideal fit in Coach Marinelli’s system. He’s obviously a big physical player. But with Rod, in terms of what we look for with our under tackle, our three-technique — and it’s what Tyrone Crawford plays for us. Russell Maryland did it back when [Jimmy Johnson] was here, coaching the 4-3 when we went to Super Bowls. Leon Lett did it. — We call it a quick twitch.

“Those guys are real quick coming off the ball. Not that Malcom isn’t, but he’s more of a physical, what they call a two-gap defensive tackle, a nose tackle. We were really looking for people who pressure the quarterback in this draft, so we put a premium on that.”

Nick Hayden has been the Cowboys’ starting one-technique tackle the previous two seasons and will likely do so again in 2015. Behind him will be Terrell McClain, a player that will also see time at the three-technique.

Tyrone Crawford is Dallas’ starting three-technique tackle. According to Jones, DeMarcus Lawrence and rookie Ryan Russell could see some time playing that spot as well.

“Well, McClain, we feel really good about,” Jones said. “He’s kind of the backup nose, the backup defensive tackle for both sides in terms of those two tackle spots. The other one who will be able to play some tackle is DeMarcus Lawrence. He can slide down in there in sub packages and rush the passer. And then Ryan Russell, you can already see is 6-4, 270 pounds, has the frame to put on some more weight. He could be a guy ultimately who might swing down inside and give some rush there as well.

“We think it’s a really good group and one that’s going to have more depth than we’ve ever had. A lot of skills there. We think we’ll be much improved in that defensive line.”
----------------

The answer on why we didn't take Brown shouldn't have the name "Terrell McClain" anywhere in it.

I'd actually accept "Hey, we felt Byron Jones was the better player" rather than this steaming pile of horseshit about a mediocre player like McClain. Or worse, Hayden.

At that stage in the draft, they had no effing idea they could get Gregory or Russell to make any of this shuffling possible.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The answer on why we didn't take Brown shouldn't have the name "Terrell McClain" anywhere in it.
They clearly think the 1-T is the least impactful spot on their defense, especially in pass defense, or that while the position itself is important, variations in talent at the position are not.

I strongly disagree. Casey Hampton, Richard Seymour, Red Bryant, and Vince Woolfolk are clear proof they are just plain wrong.

Malcolm Brown has the size and talent to open lanes for the pass rushers to either side, apply pressure all on his own by limiting room to step up, and protect Dallas's uber-fragile linebackers by keeping guards off of them.

Then of course there would be his awesome presence vs. the run tempting opposing offenses to compensate by passing more, losing balance, and become more predictable.

The dropoff from Brown to Hayden/McClain has a far greater impact than the similar gap between Jones and Sterling Moore.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I trust Marinelli on this. He's been pretty successful for a long time. This isn't a new concept for him.

I just can't imagine they couldn't figure out a way to upgrade Hayden.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I trust Marinelli on this. He's been pretty successful for a long time. This isn't a new concept for him.
Marinelli enjoyed his greatest success when the talent was bought for him or he inherited it.

His ability to judge talent is massively overrated. He can get crap motivated to play, but what he is being entrusted to do is well outside of his wheelhouse. It was that way in Chicago as well when choice after choice on their DL bombed. They did not start making noise until they paid for Peppers.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Marinelli enjoyed his greatest success when the talent was bought for him or he inherited it.

His ability to judge talent is massively overrated. He can get crap motivated to play, but what he is being entrusted to do is well outside of his wheelhouse. It was that way in Chicago as well when choice after choice on their DL bombed. They did not start making noise until they paid for Peppers.
We have better talent at DE then that Chicago team ever had at one time.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
They clearly think the 1-T is the least impactful spot on their defense, especially in pass defense, or that while the position itself is important, variations in talent at the position are not.

I strongly disagree. Casey Hampton, Richard Seymour, Red Bryant, and Vince Woolfolk are clear proof they are just plain wrong.

Malcolm Brown has the size and talent to open lanes for the pass rushers to either side, apply pressure all on his own by limiting room to step up, and protect Dallas's uber-fragile linebackers by keeping guards off of them.

Then of course there would be his awesome presence vs. the run tempting opposing offenses to compensate by passing more, losing balance, and become more predictable.

The dropoff from Brown to Hayden/McClain has a far greater impact than the similar gap between Jones and Sterling Moore.
Red Bryant? He's 31 and he's been cut twice in two years, currently a free agent soon to be out of football. You overrate his impact on that 'Hawks team.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Red Bryant? He's 31 and he's been cut twice in two years, currently a free agent soon to be out of football. You overrate his impact on that 'Hawks team.
Richard Seymour was never really a 1 technique either that I'm aware of. The dude was a 3-4 DE or a penetrating DT.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Like when he inherited Rice, Sapp, McFarland, Brooks, and Lynch. Cha ching!

Richard Seymour was never really a 1 technique either that I'm aware of. The dude was a 3-4 DE or a penetrating DT.
I know strictly speaking the guys I mentioned played all over the line. I liken his role as a guy who takes on two people to that of the 1 technique in Dallas' 4-3.

Dallas' 1-technique holds the line usually against more than one blocker. If he's good, he can even collapse the line backwards.

Seymour penetrated in spite of the double team which is what a talented 1-tech could do in Dallas.

Yeh, he signed a FA deal and then ate himself out of football, but I firmly believe he made it much harder to run on them and was a big reason they were so strong in 2013. It's no coincidence that a year later Dallas suddenly could run the ball down their throats. Not only did the Cowboys OL add Martin, Seattle also lost Bryant (Clemens too, but he was more of a rusher).

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Like when he inherited Rice, Sapp, McFarland, Brooks, and Lynch. Cha ching!

I know strictly speaking the guys I mentioned played all over the line. I liken his role as a guy who takes on two people to that of the 1 technique in Dallas' 4-3.

Dallas' 1-technique holds the line usually against more than one blocker. If he's good, he can even collapse the line backwards.

Seymour penetrated in spite of the double team which is what a talented 1-tech could do in Dallas.

Yeh, he signed a FA deal and then ate himself out of football, but I firmly believe he made it much harder to run on them and was a big reason they were so strong in 2013. It's no coincidence that a year later Dallas suddenly could run the ball down their throats. Not only did the Cowboys OL add Martin, Seattle also lost Bryant (Clemens too, but he was more of a rusher).
We added an All-Pro and they lost a rotational player. That seems even.

Top Bottom