Soccer Thread

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't see any way that Man U finishes top 4 this year, I think there's a better chance that they finish 6th or 7th.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Not a huge fan of Van Gaal. What constitutes a successful season this year for United, top 4? Is that how far and how fast they have fallen? How did this happen so quickly?
I'm not crazy about Van Gaal, but he is a quality manager.

He's not like a Mourinho or whatever that you just know he's gonna be successful wherever he goes, but his chance for success is high, IMO.

As for United, even with these additions, they still join Arsenal and Liverpool as distant 3rds at best behind City and Chelsea who as you stated, are clearly in a group by themselves.

For United, I think getting back to the champions league would be a successful first season under the new regime.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Also, Messi looked like Messi from a year ago this past Sunday. He was fast, explosive, and totally motivated.

Everyone, beware. :towel

And Rakitic was brilliant. He's going to be an awesome replacement for Xavi.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't say top 10, but he's an excellent player who might be in the top 15, and most certainly in the top 20.
He might break top 50, but not top 20.

He's not top 5 in Real, he would not be top 5 in Barcelona or Bayern, that is out of the top 15 with just 3 teams down.

You have Zlatan, Van Persie, Balotelli, Falcao, Toure, Agüero, Tevez, Silva (Thiago and David), Reus...

That's just off the top of my head and mostly offensive players.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
He might break top 50, but not top 20.

He's not top 5 in Real, he would not be top 5 in Barcelona or Bayern, that is out of the top 15 with just 3 teams down.

You have Zlatan, Van Persie, Balotelli, Falcao, Toure, Agüero, Tevez, Silva (Thiago and David), Reus...

That's just off the top of my head and mostly offensive players.
Balotelli is not a better player than Di Maria.

And he while he may not be a top 5 talent at Madrid, he was most certainly one of their 3 best on the field players. Like I said, no other player on that team had better chemistry or created more opportunities for Ronaldo like he did.

It's a dumb move to move him.

D

Deuce

Balotelli is not a better player than Di Maria.

And he while he may not be a top 5 talent at Madrid, he was most certainly one of their 3 best on the field players. Like I said, no other player on that team had better chemistry or created more opportunities for Ronaldo like he did.

It's a dumb move to move him.
That's why Ronaldo was so outspoken about them retaining him.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That's why Ronaldo was so outspoken about them retaining him.
Damn right.

No one else on that team could've produced that play on the wing that he did that essentially won the CL for them.

Carl

RIP Brother
Got to watch Forest on Bein Sports this morning. A rare pleasure. We have some quality and pace on display. TGLE doing what he does; another away win and still top. Not a bad start to the weekend....come on Burnley.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Not a bad start to the weekend....come on Burnley.
Looks like you got your wish. :lol

As for United, they made a other great move in getting Falcao today.

RVP is very good, but he alone hasn't been getting the job done, and they need more of an aerial presence in the box as well.

Just 18 months ago, Falcao was considered arguably the best true #9 in the world, so his addition would make any team better, especially this United team. The problem now is, what do you do with Rooney?

It's the elephant in the room that no one wants to seem to address. I don't think he's a good enough passer/playmaker to play in the AMF role, and it's not like he'd get to play there much anyway given the style that LVG prefers.

Man U are loaded now and have no excuses to not start winning soon. If they do not, how much time is LVG given before he's given the boot?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
United's defense is still bullshit, they have a bunch of attacking talent but it's hard to say how it will all mesh.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
United's defense is still bullshit, they have a bunch of attacking talent but it's hard to say how it will all mesh.
It's not built to mesh in a 3-5-2, so Van Gaal might want to think about that as he plans out his lineup for the rest of the season. He had Di Maria in the middle this past weekend which is a huge mistake and a waste of his talent.

Carl

RIP Brother
Nottingham Forest still unbeaten after 8 games. TGLE working some magic. Top of the League. Who knows how long it will last.

Carl

RIP Brother
Does anyone watch Men in Blazers on NBCSN. Not sure I can, more exhausting than watching Olbermann.

Carl

RIP Brother
Madrid looked great today. Loaded with great players; but I could watch Rodriguez all day long. A selfless superstar.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Loved Ronaldo's first goal today.
His only goal, you mean? What was so great about his penalty?

As for the game, I just knew Pique was going to fuck up and I have no idea why on earth Luis Enrique would start him today against that team. He's been awful all season and as a result has barely played, and yet he starts him for this?

Barcelona were up 1-0, they had the crowd out of it, and were a lot closer to scoring their 2nd than Madrid were their 1st, and then the penalty happened - everything changed after that.

Carl

RIP Brother
His only goal, you mean? What was so great about his penalty?

As for the game, I just knew Pique was going to fuck up and I have no idea why on earth Luis Enrique would start him today against that team. He's been awful all season and as a result has barely played, and yet he starts him for this?

Barcelona were up 1-0, they had the crowd out of it, and were a lot closer to scoring their 2nd than Madrid were their 1st, and then the penalty happened - everything changed after that.
I was talking about his goal against Liverpool in the CL. That's the finish I liked.

Top Bottom