Gruden's QB camp: Jared Goff and Carson Wentz

Jiggyfly

Banned
Gruden's QB camp: Jared Goff and Carson Wentz

Apr 9, 2016
Sharon Katz, ESPN Stats & Information

Jared Goff and Carson Wentz are the consensus top two draft-eligible quarterbacks, but the debate over which player should be selected first is ongoing. What are the strengths and concerns of these two quarterbacks?

• "Gruden's QB Camp" 4 p.m. ET Saturday on ABC

Jared Goff

Goff finished his career at Cal with the school records for passing yards, touchdown passes and completions. He also set the Pac-12 single-season records for yards (4,719) and touchdowns (43), leading the Bears to their first eight-win season since 2009.

Greatest strengths: Deep accuracy

One key to Goff’s success in 2015 was his accuracy throwing deep -- a skill he improved each season at Cal. Goff completed 45.6 percent of his passes longer than 20 yards in 2015, ninth-best among Power 5 quarterbacks and about 10 percentage points better than the Power 5 average.

*Power 5 average comp. pct.: 35.5%

In comparison, Wentz completed 24.2 percent of his passes of that distance and was off-target (a pass that was overthrown, underthrown or wide) on nearly half of his attempts in limited action in 2015.

Area for concern: System

Goff comes from Cal’s Bear Raid offense, which features a quick, up-tempo passing attack. According to his offensive coordinator, Tony Franklin, Goff had a lot of pre-snap responsibility, but it’s worth noting that he huddled on about a quarter of his plays and took more than 99 percent of his snaps from the shotgun or pistol in his career. Goff could take some time to adjust to the offenses run in the NFL.

Carson Wentz

Like Goff, Wentz experienced great success in college. In addition to leading North Dakota State to FCS national championships each of the last two seasons, Wentz holds his school’s single-season records for completions, yards, touchdowns and total offense per game.

Greatest strengths: Size/Athleticism

After hosting Wentz at Gruden’s QB camp, Jon Gruden raved about the North Dakota State product: “I think he’s the most NFL-ready quarterback that we’ve had in the last couple of years,” Gruden said, according to Cleveland.com.

Wentz certainly looks the part. At 6-foot-5 and 237 pounds, he is athletic and built like a prototypical NFL quarterback. Based on his combine testing, he is most physically and athletically similar to Blaine Gabbert, Blake Bortles, Joe Flacco and Andrew Luck coming out of college, according to ESPN’s combine similarity score.

In addition to a solid build, Wentz has a strong arm and completed “NFL throws” -– defined as intermediate throws to the sideline -- at a higher rate than Goff or Memphis’ Paxton Lynch last season.

Area for concern: Performance under pressure

Many will point to the level of competition faced at the FCS level as the biggest area of concern for Wentz heading into the draft. Although there will be an adjustment to the speed of NFL defenses, other FCS quarterbacks such as Steve McNair and Flacco have succeeded under similar circumstances.

A bigger factor that jumps off the page when evaluating Wentz’s college stats is his performance under pressure. When under duress in 2015, Wentz completed 28.9 percent of his passes and converted a first down 15 percent of the time, which are both significantly lower percentages than the Power 5 average.

In comparison, Goff completed 45.9 percent of his passes and converted a first down 32 percent of the time when pressured. Both players, especially Wentz, are likely to be under duress at a higher rate in the NFL than in college, so their performance in those situations are crucial.

Those are some scary numbers and it kind of goes along with him playing with better talent and not having to deal with much pressure.

That is a huge red flag IMO.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Agree. Just more evidence in favor of Goff... :tippytoe

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Numbers can be made to look however you want. I mean, what is the criteria for being under pressure? Do you just have to climb the pocket to avoid a guy, or do you actually have to leave the pocket? Do you have to be on the run. It would be interesting to see what they consider under duress.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Numbers can be made to look however you want. I mean, what is the criteria for being under pressure? Do you just have to climb the pocket to avoid a guy, or do you actually have to leave the pocket? Do you have to be on the run. It would be interesting to see what they consider under duress.
There were a few moments in the Senior Bowl where he struggled with people in his face.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
There were a few moments in the Senior Bowl where he struggled with people in his face.
It could be an issue with him. I don't know. But, with our line it would definitely be less of an issue than with other teams, if it's not something that can be ~cough~coached out of him.

Jiggyfly

Banned
These numbers are not in a vacuum, this was the same criteria used for all other QB's and he ranked very low.

Whatever under pressure means it was used for both him and Goff as well as others the average was 35%.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
These numbers are not in a vacuum, this was the same criteria used for all other QB's and he ranked very low.

Whatever under pressure means it was used for both him and Goff as well as others the average was 35%.
Sure and it may also mean that Wentz just read things coming and got the ball off before it reached the definition of "pressure." Systems also have a lot to do with these numbers. A guy running more of a prostyle offense is just generally speaking going to have worse numbers.

I don't think any of this is a major concern when you really look at Wentz. It does backup something that we all could see with Goff though and that is he does a big time job of standing in the face of pressure and completing the pass. Goff had an awful offensive line and he just has a knack and ability to get the ball off regardless.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Sure and it may also mean that Wentz just read things coming and got the ball off before it reached the definition of "pressure." Systems also have a lot to do with these numbers. A guy running more of a prostyle offense is just generally speaking going to have worse numbers.

I don't think any of this is a major concern when you really look at Wentz. It does backup something that we all could see with Goff though and that is he does a big time job of standing in the face of pressure and completing the pass. Goff had an awful offensive line and he just has a knack and ability to get the ball off regardless.
I don't understand what you are getting at?

Even if it means what you say that does not make it better, I am not disqualifying him because of it but it feeds into the thoughts of him being somewhat mechanical which I saw at the Senior Bowl.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Decision's out of Dallas' hands now. Time to move on to other positions.

Top Bottom