Casserly: Joey Bosa could be answer for Dallas Cowboys

Jiggyfly

Banned
Casserly: Joey Bosa could be answer for Dallas Cowboys

By Chase Goodbread
College Football 24/7 writer
Published: April 5, 2016 at 06:57 p.m. Updated: April 6, 2016 at 09:46 a.m. 35

Joey Bosa's draft value couldn't be much higher, but if Charley Casserly is right, perhaps it should be.

The NFL Media analyst said Bosa is a more attractive draft prospect than three dynamic NFL defensive linemen. Casserly -- the former Washington Redskins and Houston Texans general manager -- was discussing Bosa's value within the context of the Dallas Cowboys' pick at No. 4 overall, noting the club's need for a pass-rushing defensive end.

"Some people will say he's not an elite player; shouldn't be taken that high. To me he's better than Ziggy Ansah, who (was drafted) around that point, he's better than Leonard Williams, who should've gone by that point in the draft," Casserly said on NFL Network's "Path to the Draft". "And guess what? He's a safer pick and will be more productive than Jadeveon Clowney has been. That answers that question to me."

Williams, the No. 6 pick of the New York Jets last year, was an active member of the Jets' defensive front as a rookie, making 63 tackles in 15 starts. More so than Williams, Ansah has been a pass-rushing presence in recording an average of 10 sacks per season over his first three years with the Detroit Lions. Clowney's NFL career started slowly due to injury, but the former No. 1 overall pick flashed some of his potential last year in recording 4.5 sacks over nine starts. Ansah was drafted No. 5 overall by the Lions in 2013.

Casserly noted Lance Zierlein's report that there isn't a positive consensus in the Cowboys building about Bosa as the No. 4 overall pick. The club has also been busy evaluating some of the draft's top quarterback prospects, although club owner Jerry Jones has said the pick won't be used on a quarterback. If that's the Cowboys' draft model, Bosa could be the best option.

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett and other club representatives traveled to the OSU campus last month to conduct a workout of Bosa and some other Buckeyes prospects. Dallas' need at defensive end stems from a variety of issues, from Randy Gregory's suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy to the health status of DeMarcus Lawrence, who underwent back surgery after the season. The club also has shown no apparent interest in re-signing troubled end Greg Hardy.

dallen

Senior Tech
There is a reason he is "the former Washington Redskins and Houston Texans general manager" and not a current general manager

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is a reason he is "the former Washington Redskins and Houston Texans general manager" and not a current general manager
:lol

Good point. Not saying he isn't right about Bosa to an extent but Bosa doesn't have nearly the athletic ability that Ansah displayed prior to the draft. Ansah ran a 4.6 forty at over 270 pounds. He was a kind of raw freak athlete coming out.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Jerry Jones has said the club won't use the pick on a QB? News to me.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Bosa basically does everything better than Ansah did coming out, the only edge Ansah had was pure athleticism. Now, one could easily argue that Bosa is closer to his ceiling and without that athleticism he may never become what Ansah is, but you could also easily argue that Bosa will only improve with NFL coaching/weight training.

At the end of the day if we go Bosa over one of the QB's I will be disappointed but I'm not going to ignore the fact that we got one heck of a DL prospect.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Jerry also said we weren't going to trade for WR Roy Williams and then turned right around and did so. Has also said on more than one occasion that he's an NFL GM. So I don't believe much of what comes out of his mouth.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Jerry also said we weren't going to trade for WR Roy Williams and then turned right around and did so. Has also said on more than one occasion that he's an NFL GM. So I don't believe much of what comes out of his mouth.
Shefter used that same exact reference (Roy Williams) to explain why he doesn't believe Jerry when he says we won't draft a qb at 4. There is definitely some merit to that interpretation.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I would be fine with Bosa, though his OSU teammate Elliott is as good or better.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Casserly passed on Julius Peppers to draft Carr. His opinions on DEs at the top of the draft seems inconsistent.

dallen

Senior Tech
Casserly passed on Julius Peppers to draft Carr. His opinions on DEs at the top of the draft seems inconsistent.
Like I said, there is a reason he isn't a GM any more. When he talks about the processes teams go through or what a given team was thinking about a move he can be interesting. When he starts trying to evaluate players I tune him out.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I do think Bosa is likely our pick if Wentz is gone and we don't trade down. I'd still probably go Goff but doubt we will so considering the other options in this scenario I'd be OK with Bosa.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I would be fine with Bosa, though his OSU teammate Elliott is as good or better.
Elliott will be a much more productive player than a guy like Bosa. Bosa is a white Anthony Spencer.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I do think Bosa is likely our pick if Wentz is gone and we don't trade down. I'd still probably go Goff but doubt we will so considering the other options in this scenario I'd be OK with Bosa.
Screw that. If we're not taking a QB, I'd go with Myles Jack, Buckner, or Zeke Elliott before I'd pick Bosa.

Top Bottom