Cosell: Wentz/Luck comparisons valid

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Greg Cosell's draft preview: Carson Wentz's valid Andrew Luck comp

Leading up to the NFL draft on April 28-30, NFL Films' Greg Cosell will be sharing his views on many of the top prospects based on his extensive film study of those players.

Andrew Luck was considered a rare prospect, and as such, people are hesitant to compare other high-level prospects to Luck.

I believe Carson Wentz is a high-level prospect, my top quarterback in this draft class, and I think the comparison to Luck is valid.

What happens down the road in any prospect’s career is pure speculation, and how Wentz does in the NFL is a product of many variables. So I don’t know how Wentz's NFL career will compare to what Luck has done or will continue to do. But I see many similarities between the two quarterbacks.

Like Luck, Wentz is smart. He was a 4.0 student at North Dakota State. Physically, the two are similar, and we’ll get to that in a bit. One thing that stood out to me about Wentz is his poise in critical moments. That reminds me of Luck as well.

Wentz, with his team trailing 28-24 against Northern Iowa last season, led a late drive and threw a game-winning touchdown in the final minute. He converted a couple key fourth downs and showedoutstanding poise and composure. It was an excellent combination of patience and aggressiveness. (Move ahead to 11:24 of the video below to watch him lead the game-winning drive.)

Physically there’s a lot to like about Wentz too, and there are more reminders of Luck. Wentz is a very good athlete for a 6-foot-5, 237-pound quarterback (Wentz is actually a smoother-looking athlete than Luck because his body type is different: he is longer and leaner than Luck despite weighing 237 pounds). He has an awareness of how to play the position, like Luck. He has the ability to drive the ball when the throw demands it, as Luck does.

Wentz has very good arm strength. He is a tight, compact, easy thrower for a big quarterback. The ball comes out with velocity. Wentz can clearly drive the ball, which is a result of a strong core and lower body.

Wentz isn’t just a fastball thrower. He has showed the refinement to throw with touch and pace when demanded. He can make firm, touch seam throws that are part of NFL passing games. He showed an excellent feel for the different kinds of throws that are necessary for the situation.

There were other things I liked about Wentz when I watched the film: He had an excellent command of the offense, controlling the game at the line of scrimmage when needed with a lot of audibles and checks. He excelled in a structured passing game that asked him to make progression reads and difficult NFL-type throws. All of that will help in his transition to the pro game.

He also is a good runner. There were times when the NDSU offense looked like the Carolina Panthers offense with its multiple backfield actions and run game dimensions. Here’s a quarterback run behind the fullback that went for a touchdown:
View gallery

View gallery

View gallery

View gallery

And another read-option run:
View gallery

View gallery

View gallery

If a team decides to use Wentz as a regular part of their running game, as the Panthers do with Cam Newton, he has the ability to excel in that role.

Wentz has many skills you like to see, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be an NFL success. Going back to the Luck example, even though the assumption was that Luck’s decision making wouldn’t be a problem in the NFL because of his high-level intelligence, he hasn’t been a consistently good decision maker in the pros — that’s a part of Luck’s game he must continue to work on. So it’s always tough to project any prospect, no matter the position. There’s a lot of variables involved in becoming a high-level NFL player, especially at quarterback.

I can only tell you what I’ve seen on tape from the prospects going into the draft. And what I’ve seen from Wentz is pretty good. He's my No. 1 quarterback in this draft.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If you want Garrett gone then it shouldn't matter, get a QB for the next administration.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You can't even begin to compare these two.

Wentz may become a great QB, maybe even better than Andrew Luck. Who knows?

But the comparison at this point is laughable. QB's with the same "body type" come and go all the time.

A 4.0 GPA at NDSU vs one at Stanford... not apples to apples-- and that's the issue with Wentz. No one outside of North Dakota even knew who this guy was more than a few months ago. No one's seen him play against real competition.

Meanwhile Andrew Luck would have been the 1st overall pick even as a Jr. Everyone knew he was college football's best player for a long, long time. He threw he prettiest college deep ball I've seen... not the strongest but with unusual soft touch.

These superficial comparisons are driving me nuts.

Can the draft get here soon enough?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Get a QB that can both backup the starter and replace the starter. Wentz can fill that Bill. Romo could be out a couple of games this season or maybe 7 or 8. Dallas needs someone that can fill the gap in that contingency. Dallas also needs a replacement for Romo that could come as early as this season or maybe up to 4 seasons down the road. Wentz can fill this bill as well. He is probably the closest thing there is to a sure bet albeit there is no such thing in reality. Odds are favorable for him to succeed.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Still think Goff is the more NFL ready QB. Browns will be dumb to take Wentz if they want any legit shot at the playoffs next 3 years. More potential but needs to learn first.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still think Goff is the more NFL ready QB. Browns will be dumb to take Wentz if they want any legit shot at the playoffs next 3 years. More potential but needs to learn first.
I really like both guys. No question about it. I just think Goff is more developed mentally and physically displays more touch on his passes. That's why I wouldn't trade up for Wentz but I also wouldn't trade up for Goff.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I really like both guys. No question about it. I just think Goff is more developed mentally and physically displays more touch on his passes. That's why I wouldn't trade up for Wentz but I also wouldn't trade up for Goff.
That's probably true and would be ideal for a team who wants him to start as a rookie. That isn't the situation in Dallas however and why I think in the long haul Wentz is the better choice for the Cowboys.

Top Bottom