The Running Back position will doom us or not thread...

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
:lol

Gotta love Joe Fan.
No doubt, but in fairness if at this time last year Joe Fan had said "By further fortifying their OL with the addition of Zack Martin, do you think this is finally the year DeMarco Murray stays healthy and puts it all together? I think behind this line he is capable of > 1800 yards 13 TD and 50+ receptions for 400+ yards. Those types of number would probably be enough to win NFL Offensive Player of the Year, which is what I am predicting for him in 2015. What do you think?"…that person would have been :lol at big time.

I'm not a McFadden believer at all, just sayin'…never say never.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I disagree. I think the omission of Williams is glaring, considering they signed him to similar money as McFadden. I don't see how Williams wouldn't be in the mix.
I didnt understans why he wasnt in tbe mix last year as a relief back but what do I know.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What does that have to do with anything pertaining to people saying Murray was done which was the point of the debate.

Do you really not understand that or you just like bringing me up in random post?
First things first. It's the same little zinger you used earlier. Now let me give you the connect the dots version. It has to do with the fact that pundits and prognosticators were giving those same reasons as to why Murray would likely go the way of former players who had a similiar career experience. These reasons were used as a basis that Murray was probably past his best production and waas probably past his ability to have any more good productive seasons. Because of this he wasn't a good risk to resign and therefore was,or should be done in Dallas. The members of the board debated this same approach and many thought he fell into that category and should be dropped and be done in Dallas. That is tha basis why I stated many felt he was or should be done here. If that doesnt clear it up for you then maybe you can use the phone a friend option and get some help. The last sentence is in jest so dont go all nutzo over it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly.

We can cross our fingers and hope for the best but the evidence and precedents are not good.

What does Felix on a team 5-10 years ago have to do with Randle now? Felix Jones career has zero impact on the career trajectory of Randle and no what Felix did is not actually considered evidence or a precedent with regards to Randle's career. This is basically the same argument as, well Quincy had a better QB rating as a rookie then Aikman did so Quincy is going to be a better QB.

Jiggyfly

Banned
First things first. It's the same little zinger you used earlier. Now let me give you the connect the dots version. It has to do with the fact that pundits and prognosticators were giving those same reasons as to why Murray would likely go the way of former players who had a similiar career experience. These reasons were used as a basis that Murray was probably past his best production and waas probably past his ability to have any more good productive seasons. Because of this he wasn't a good risk to resign and therefore was,or should be done in Dallas. The members of the board debated this same approach and many thought he fell into that category and should be dropped and be done in Dallas. That is tha basis why I stated many felt he was or should be done here. If that doesnt clear it up for you then maybe you can use the phone a friend option and get some help. The last sentence is in jest so dont go all nutzo over it.
See thats the problem there are no dots to connect, my issue was with you claiming people said Murray was done which frankly was a flat out falsehood.

Everything after that has been irrelevant to the discussion, once again admit you were stating something that never happened or just keep tilting at windmills.

Jiggyfly

Banned
No doubt, but in fairness if at this time last year Joe Fan had said "By further fortifying their OL with the addition of Zack Martin, do you think this is finally the year DeMarco Murray stays healthy and puts it all together? I think behind this line he is capable of > 1800 yards 13 TD and 50+ receptions for 400+ yards. Those types of number would probably be enough to win NFL Offensive Player of the Year, which is what I am predicting for him in 2015. What do you think?"…that person would have been :lol at big time.

Great analogy but I think most would have doubted Murray's staying healthy more than his ability.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
See thats the problem there are no dots to connect, my issue was with you claiming people said Murray was done which frankly was a flat out falsehood.

Everything after that has been irrelevant to the discussion, once again admit you were stating something that never happened or just keep tilting at windmills.
I don't have a kindergarten version. Phone a friend.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Great analogy but I think most would have doubted Murray's staying healthy more than his ability.
Sure, but I don't think there is anyone on this board that would have said if Murray plays all 16 games he will go well over 1800 yards. 1500? Sure, I could have seen that in 16 games. No one would have guessed 1800+, even in a full 16 games. Part of that would have also been related to the fact that the coaches had never been that dedicated to the run game before but regardless, it would have been an outlandish prediction.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most would have doubted his ability to stay healthy for nearly 400 carries. No question about it.

Just like most would doubt McFadden's ability to stay healthy for 300+.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

What does Felix on a team 5-10 years ago have to do with Randle now? Felix Jones career has zero impact on the career trajectory of Randle and no what Felix did is not actually considered evidence or a precedent with regards to Randle's career. This is basically the same argument as, well Quincy had a better QB rating as a rookie then Aikman did so Quincy is going to be a better QB.
Follow the conversation and maybe you'll understand.

Dumb analogy by the way.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
By the way, running the ball 10 times in the fourth quarter when the defense knows you are running the clock out is going to lead to some really short gains. Any idiot should know that. In case someone is trying to use that as a point as to why Randle will suck when he gets more carries.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
By the way, Le'Veon Bell averaged 3.5 YPC as a part time back. And then averaged 4.7 last year as a full time starter. So I guess that means Randle will average like 7+ per carry. :picard

Same thing as these dumbass Hambrick and Felix Jones comparisons.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

I agree for the most part, though last year the skepticism would have been over DeMarco's health and Garrett's willingness to run (we all remember Green Bay).

Those two factors, not Murray's talent, made it a hard pill to swallow. Hell, Murray had already set the Cowboys single-game record so we knew he had the potential for well over 1000 if he could only play 16 games.

But there's nothing going for McFadden getting 1500 besides the OL.

Health? Demonstrated talent? No and no.

Split carries? Of course.

Garrett bailing on the run if the committee doesn't produce? Strong possibility.

Murray getting 1800 was far-fetched, but McFadden getting 1500 is basically science fiction at this point.

By the way, running the ball 10 times in the fourth quarter when the defense knows you are running the clock out is going to lead to some really short gains.
Actually, this is where a lot of backs have made a living over the course of NFL history. The D is tired, and the OL should be imposing their will. It's usually early in the first quarter that you have the most stuffed plays, even when the offense is balanced.

I'd say it's a mixed bag all-around.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually, this is where a lot of backs have made a living over the course of NFL history. The D is tired, and the OL should be imposing their will. It's usually early in the first quarter that you have the most stuffed plays, even when the offense is balanced.

I'd say it's a mixed bag all-around.
And there are a shit ton of backs whose YPC increases when given more carries over the course of a season as opposed to less. No one really has any evidence as to what someone like Randle will do with more carries. I can promise you though, no RBs are racking up big yards against 10 man fronts when their coach is telling them all I need you to do is hold onto the damn ball and run up the middle. While the defense is going, they pulled Romo and have a double digit lead. All they are going to do is run up the gut.

townsend

Banned
I agree for the most part, though last year the skepticism would have been over DeMarco's health and Garrett's willingness to run (we all remember Green Bay).
I feel like mostly willingness to run has still been the biggest concern. I feel like for the most part we all believe that we'll continue winning if we're really willing to commit to the run.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I feel like mostly willingness to run has still been the biggest concern. I feel like for the most part we all believe that we'll continue winning if we're really willing to commit to the run.
This is absolutely huge.

Carries per game is what got Romo to that perfect comfort zone where he could just destroy teams.

We were just under 32 per game, and the worst in the league was just 21 carries.

So dropping a mere 5 per game makes us middle of the pack and places the lion's share of burden at Romo's feet.

All it takes is "The Committee" not producing to start the jump balls to Dez and the forced shots to Witten.

It's coming. We saw a hint of it vs. Green Bay even when DeMarco had 126 yards. Get ready.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I think it is funny that many people were in favor of letting Murray walk because it isn't wise to pay a big second contract to a RB coming off a career year where he had a huge workload but now are crying "RB is going to doom this team next year!". Why exactly? Because they didn't take Jay Ajayi or some other mid-round RB? Because a rookie that wasn't one of the top few RBs in the draft was for sure going to come in and completely stabilize the position?

Listen, I'm very dubious of their apparent faith in Darren McFadden but a) though risky but I think one way or another they could probably do OK with the group that they have (I just think it would be entirely unnecessary and pretty foolish to take that risk) 2) I still think they are going to acquire another RB via trade/free agency and d) I don't think the addition that they I feel they inevitably make needs to be an All-Pro to give a nice boost to the position.

If the Cowboys come up short this season I strongly suspect that RB will not be the main reason.
Being in favor of not overpaying DM and letting him walk is different from being in favor of letting him walk and replacing him with a reclamation project like McFadden along with a stable of backups from last year. Seeing the slew of young RB's the last few years coming into the league in early to mid rounds and starting/contributing immediately, it was a no-brainer to not overpay and go with a quality young back.

I never thought McFadden and/or signing a guy who gets cut in the summer was our main plan. This is from the day we signed Dmc. http://www.dallascowboyscentral.com/showthread.php?4475-Cowboys-sign-RB-Darren-McFadden&p=187877&viewfull=1#post187877

But as it's turned out we are taking a major gamble that any back can be successful behind this line. We'll now see if that holds true.

Last edited:
Top Bottom