Mayock: If I were Cowboys, I'd draft Carson Wentz at No. 4

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Mayock: If I were Cowboys, I'd draft Carson Wentz at No. 4

By Chase Goodbread
College Football 24/7 writer

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones might not be inclined to spend the No. 4 overall pick of the 2016 NFL Draft on a quarterback, but if one of the top prospects at the position is available, it's the move NFL Media draft expert Mike Mayock believes the club should make.

"If it's my franchise and I'm coming off (a) 4-12 (season) with a 36-year-old injury-prone quarterback (Tony Romo), yeah, I'm taking Carson Wentz at (No.) 4 if he's on the board," Mayock told KRLD-FM on Monday.

Wentz, of North Dakota State, and Cal's Jared Goff are expected to be the top two quarterbacks drafted next month. Mayock gives Wentz the edge over Goff in his ranking of the draft's top QBs. The Cleveland Browns, drafting No. 2 overall and in dire need of a quarterback, are a significant threat to take one of them off the board before Dallas can make its pick. Mayock said last month at the NFL Scouting Combine that Dallas would be an ideal landing spot for Wentz, because it would allow him time to develop behind Romo.

Although Wentz played in a pro-style offense at NDSU, two factors could slow his development at the pro level. First, his experience in college was limited to one full season and another that was injury-shortened. Second, the level of competition he faced at NDSU is a concern, as well. While Goff played in the Pac-12, Wentz comes from the FCS ranks.

Still, Mayock believes Wentz has Andrew Luck-like upside, given time to develop.

"(Wentz has) nowhere near as many snaps or quality of competition that Luck had coming out, so his downside is considerably lower," Mayock said. "But the kid is such a hard worker, tough kid, smart, etcetera, it looks to me like most teams are betting on him hitting the high side of that."

Mayock said Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott would be Dallas' best offensive option with the No. 4 pick if it doesn't pick a quarterback, whereas its best defensive options would be Ohio State defensive end Joey Bosa or Florida State defensive back Jalen Ramsey.

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
At this point it looks like the Browns will probably take Wentz at 2. If he somehow falls to us at 4 and we pass, then our front office is run by monkeys.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
At this point it looks like the Browns will probably take Wentz at 2. If he somehow falls to us at 4 and we pass, then our front office is run by monkeys.
If that happens I will laugh my ass off as RG3 loses his mind and starts partying with Manziel.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I need a % number on if we take Wentz at 4 if available.

Someone get their sources on it.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I need a % number on if we take Wentz at 4 if available.

Someone get their sources on it.
Right now it's at 88%

That number drops every time a meme is posted so do the right thing Bipo and restrain yourself

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Wentz certainly looks the part.

But wow, 1 injury-shortened season all against subpart competition. Whoever takes him this high is definitely rolling the dice.

Still... damn, his passes look crisp.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

But wow, 1 injury-shortened season all against subpart competition. Whoever takes him this high is definitely rolling the dice.

He actually started the entire 2014 season. So it's not just 1 injury shortened season.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think Clev put itself in a terrible spot by signing RG3. Of course he is saying all the right things, compete for a spot, etc...but he did not handle being pushed by Cousins very well. Hue Jackson was jerking it all over to the workout RG3 had.

With Gipson leaving I see them taking Ramsey.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Clev put itself in a terrible spot by signing RG3. Of course he is saying all the right things, compete for a spot, etc...but he did not handle being pushed by Cousins very well. Hue Jackson was jerking it all over to the workout RG3 had.

With Gipson leaving I see them taking Ramsey.
Cleveland has been in a terrible spot all off season. They lost the few talented players they actually had. Maybe Hue Jackson can work magic with RGIII but otherwise I expect them to be picking in the top 3 again next year.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I still wouldn't be surprised if Cleveland took a QB with RGIII starting until the rookie gets up to speed.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Just getting around to watching some video of him, eh?

data

Forbes #1
I still wouldn't be surprised if Cleveland took a QB with RGIII starting until the rookie gets up to speed.
...and Jerruh will gladly snatch the loser of that QB battle. SUCKERSSSSSSSSS

Top Bottom