Claiborne to Return

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That's fine but can we please just cut Carr and sign Hayward?

Carr will save us like 9 as a post-June 1 cut and I doubt Hayward will cost more than about 6.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I approve. Cheap and still has potential to improve if he can stay healthy.

I wouldn't mind keeping Carr if he can be restructured but I'd also sign Hayward preferably or at least Carroll. Then you have an army of cheap CB depth and no great risk of drafting one early.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's fine but can we please just cut Carr and sign Hayward?

Carr will save us like 9 as a post-June 1 cut and I doubt Hayward will cost more than about 6.
Between nickel and diming with the incumbents, I question if there is enough room to make a run at Hayward.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm sure we have more also since we restructured Crawford.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Kind of curious that we're resigning guys like Wilber, Claiborne and such but not Jack Crawford. I'm fine with bringing back Wilber and Claiborne but I value Crawford over either of them. He provides versatility and is a decent pass-rusher from the interior.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Kind of curious that we're resigning guys like Wilber, Claiborne and such but not Jack Crawford. I'm fine with bringing back Wilber and Claiborne but I value Crawford over either of them. He provides versatility and is a decent pass-rusher from the interior.
I would imagine Crawford gets done at some point. He seems to want to come back.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sources: Dallas Cowboys bring back CB Morris Claiborne on a 1-year, $3.75 million deal

By David Moore , Staff Writer Contact David Moore on Twitter: @DavidMooreDMN

Morris Claiborne has agreed to return to the Cowboys on a one-year contract, sources said.

Free agency opened on Wednesday, and the cornerback is the fifth of the Cowboys own free agents the club has re-signed. He joins linebackers Rolando McClain and Kyle Wilber, cornerback Josh Thomas and offensive tackle Charles Brown.

Claiborne's one-year deal has a base value of $3 million and he has the opportunity to earn up to $3.75 million, according to one source. That's far less than what the Cowboys would have had to pay Claiborne for the 2016 season if they had picked up the fifth-year option on his rookie contract. Last May, the Cowboys declined to pick up Claiborne's 2016 fifth-year option that would have required them to pay Claiborne $11.08 million.

The Cowboys have also signed defensive tackle Cedric Thornton, who played Philadelphia the last five seasons.

Claiborne continued to miss times because of injury last season with the Cowboys, sitting out five games. He didn't have an interception in his 11 games started but added 42 tackles and ranked second on the team with nine pass breakups.

Claiborne, the Cowboys' sixth overall pick in 2012, hasn't been able to stay healthy throughout his four years in Dallas. He missed 26 games over his four seasons with the Cowboys because of injuries. When he's played, he hasn't provided much impact.

Claiborne, 26, has three career interceptions. The club declined to pick up his fifth-year option heading into the '16 season but he showed enough last year for the club to want him back.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
At least this means if we draft Ramsey its to play safety which I think is his better position, so that's something.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
At least this means if we draft Ramsey its to play safety which I think is his better position, so that's something.
I think this eliminates Ramsey. We never draft a year ahead.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Nobody else was after him, this means the entire league knows HE SUCKS.

Pretty much. What 26 year old former top ten CB has to take a 1 year 3 million dollar contract on the open market? That's like the entire league telling him that he sucks in unison.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
No other team was willing to give him a longer, more lucrative deal for the 10 games he might play and the 1 INT he might get? Shocking.

Last edited:

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I'd rather have any other spare 3 million dollar corner than Claiborne. The guy's a bum. He's already proven how soft and fragile -- both mentally and physically -- he is.

I bet at least part of this is the Jones boys not wanting to concede total defeat on a #6 overall pick.

Top Bottom