Myles Jack and Draft Politics

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
http://draftbreakdown.com/myles-jack-and-draft-politics/ (click to view videos)

Myles Jack and Draft Politics

Written by Jeff Risdon on March 4, 2016

UCLA defensive player Myles Jack is widely considered one of the elite players in the 2016 NFL Draft. His athleticism, versatility and explosive potential to make splash plays are all undeniable truths, and they’re all catnip for the fan.

Here’s an inconvenient truth on the 6’1”, 245-pound early entrant: Myles Jack is a lot better in the theoretical future than he has been in the actual past. You know, the part of the game which actually counts.

It reminds me of politicians trying to sell us on their grandiose vision of what they can do for us if we choose them. Only the best possible outcomes to decisions must be considered when lobbying for voting minds, and the ardent supporters often wear blinders to the very real negatives every candidate–from any side of the aisle–harbors.

Campaign promises often become hilariously sad tinder to the smoldering pile of disappointment that becomes of nearly every politician elected in America these days. In many cases, being mere tinder is a lucky stroke, as often proclamations of future accomplishment and greatness wind up being gasoline thrown on a raging bonfire.

With Jack, NFL teams will be buying into campaign promises from his agent, the sycophantic fans and even some smart and experienced scouts within their own buildings. And as with the most effective stump speech proclamations, there’s just enough credibility within the points being made to make it a very effective, viable sales pitch.

Jack presents the potential to be a revolutionary figure in modern NFL defense. During his Bruins career he lined up all over the formation. Heck, he was the 2013 Pac-12 Rookie of the Year…on both defense and offense! From safety to outside linebacker to running back to slot corner (yes, slot corner), Jack’s amazing blend of speed and agility made him one of the most entertaining and versatile weapons to hit college football in years.

Not many linebackers can do this,

The hyperbolic campaign promises come naturally…
(read in Morgan Freeman’s voice)

“What other player offers the dynamic impact of a Myles Jack? Not only is he one of the greatest linebacking prospects since the glory days of Dick Butkus and Jack Lambert, but he’s already better as the nickel cornerback than the so-called veteran incumbent.”

“If you choose Myles Jack with your first-round draft pick, he will transform an otherwise decrepit defense into a dynamic force that no foreigners will dare challenge.”

Rhetorical proclamations can be savory nuggets during the campaign. Remember this one?

It sounded great in theory. In practice? Opposing forces and changing dynamics made it a laughable and empty promise.

Jack might have the ability to put a chicken in every pot, but that too might wind up leading to a Hooverville of a defender. His college career doesn’t exactly have much tangible, substantive production to base future promise upon.

2015: 9 solo tackles, 1 INT, 1 PD in 3 games before a torn meniscus sidelined him.
2014: 57 solo tackles, 8 TFL, 1 INT, 7 PD, 2 QB hurries in 13 games
2013: 51 solo tackles, 7 TFL, 1 INT, 1 sack, 11 PD, 1 QB hurry in 13 games

For a linebacker, the tackle numbers and production in the backfield are not all that impressive. 15 plays behind the line in 29 games is barely chicken broth, let alone a full chicken in every pot. One of the players Jack is often compared to by his lobbyists, Luke Kuechly, had roughly the same production as Jack’s two-plus seasons in 12 games in his senior season at Boston College.

It is a leap of faith to say Jack will suddenly deliver upon the promises of his athletic prowess. As with politicians, there are factors out of his control which will make achieving the full potential difficult, if not impossible.

Foremost is his lack of a defined position. For a politician, having fungible positions can be a way to hedge against unforeseen changes. For a football player, it’s often a sentence to underwhelming outcomes.

Take Dion Jordan, the third overall pick in 2013. Hyped as a freak athlete who could play outside linebacker, defensive end or (stop me if you’ve heard this before) even cornerback at 6’6” and 245 pounds, Jordan never found one NFL role he was actually good at. Granted there were other issues at play there that are not present with Jack, but the inability to stake out an actual position helped ruin his potential.

Go back a year to Shaq Thompson, another highly versatile PAC-12 linebacker who also dabbled on offense early in his career. Many of the exact attributes Jack supporters promote were readily present with the Washington product.

Don’t remember that? Here is Thompson’s draft profile from NFL.com,
Unmatched diversity in this year’s draft. Played outside and inside as a linebacker and took snaps at safety against Stanford. Gained 456 yards rushing, averaging 7.5 yards per carry. Long, with athleticism and movement of running back playing linebacker. Like a magnet to the ball while pursuing in space. Second gear to finish the chase. Wins over top of second-level linemen. Can sink and search for cutback lanes as back-side defender against stretch plays. Glides laterally from gap to gap when playing inside. Reads the quarterback’s eyes and shades the throwing lane as zone defender. Transitions easily from pursuit to coverage against play-action. Can cover running backs out of backfield. Instinctive with plus vision and twitch to make the big play. Scored four defensive touchdowns and forced three fumbles in 2014. Frequently attempts to strip ball. Fluid enough in space that safety could be a position consideration for the right team. Can be used as emergency No. 3 running back on game day. Had 19 tackles on special teams over last two seasons in kick and punt coverage. Football intelligence to process offensive and defensive playbooks. Strong work ethic and team-oriented player.

Sounds awfully familiar, huh? Here’s what Thompson, the 25[SUP]th[/SUP] overall pick in 2015, did as a rookie in Carolina (thanks Pro Football Focus, and these figures include the playoffs):

Allowed 30 receptions on 34 targets for an average of 9.4 yards, including 188 yards after the catch. He broke up two passes and allowed a QB rating of 101.1.
Recorded 44 total solo tackles, about one for every 11 snaps he was on the field and that includes the passing totals above. He missed 9. Recorded one sack and one QB hurry.

That’s a pretty fair debut season for the NFC champions. He played both SAM and WILL backer, logging action on about 35% of their defensive snaps. But is that great bang for the buck?

If Myles Jack posts that exact line as the No. 3 overall pick in San Diego, the constituents are apt to demand a recall election. There’s a difference between expectations at the No. 3 spot relative to the No. 25 spot akin to what is expected of a state senator and a governor.

Of course Jack could wind up being elected Defensive Rookie of the Year for delivering on his campaign promises. If he gets the right supporting cast, he has the physical potential to make Thompson’s productivity look like Walter Mondale’s election night figures in 1984.

And that’s the great gamble. Jack could be a great one, the torchbearer of a new generation of versatile, athletic defenders. He has the ability to fit the mold of Brian Urlacher, who was bigger but made his NFL splash as a coverage-oriented tackling machine.

The worry is Jack winds up like a different Bears first-round linebacker. That would be Shea McClellin, another linebacker whose versatility and athleticism was trumpeted in a winning campaign four years ago.

This is what Walter Football said about McClellin at the time, and they were not alone…
McClellin projects as an ideal 3-4 outside linebacker in the NFL. He has the athletic ability to drop into coverage and play space. He is a fabulous edge rusher who will give offenses fits with how to slow him down coming around the corner. He also has the ability to play some inside linebacker to stuff runs and rush up the middle. McClellin’s instincts are phenomenal, and they allow him to create splash plays. He could turn into a special perimeter linebacker who will impact game plans.

Chicago has tried McClellin as a rush backer. They’ve tried him as an off-ball outside backer. They’ve tried him in the middle, all to no avail. It’s like a political candidate who gets elected based on populist positions and then the populist winds change. There just isn’t a real fit. I can see that happening to Myles Jack, who doesn’t have anywhere close to the collegiate productivity McClellin did at Boise, albeit in a different positional role.

His position can’t be unveiled yet because Jack is still recovering from that pesky knee injury. I have little doubt he will solidify many ballots as a top-5 overall talent at UCLA’s pro day on March 15[SUP]th[/SUP]. To be frank, I’m expecting a show to remember. Perhaps that is unrealistic given his knee, but the promoters and lobbyists have raised the bar incredibly high.

That is a problem in American politics today. Too many are too willing to buy into too many speculative proclamations. No matter which side of the aisle you sit, you’ve been victimized and shamed by those you supported in the election process.

The ideal of what a prospective leader can do is incongruous at best with what their ultimate reality becomes. Grandiose campaign promises become laughably empty, nothing but eventual cannon fodder for the virulent opposition.

Know that if your NFL team selects Myles Jack, there is a very real risk that all his considerable promise never comes to fruition. Other than coverage linebacker–a niche position many NFL defensive coordinators still don’t grasp how to use properly–Jack has never really shown much substance on the football issues like tackling or attacking downhill. Those substantive issues matter to NFL coaches. As much as the general electorate likes to focus on the sizzle, once in the league it’s all about the steak.

If you are a Jack supporter, I probably won’t dissuade you. In fact, in this harsh political climate I probably galvanized your support behind your candidate and made you want to trash my own preferred choice for, say the fourth spot (Ezekiel Elliott) or the fifth spot (Joey Bosa). My candidates have flaws too, though I have yet to find one with Elliott other than the position he plays. I’d put the campaign sticker on my car for Jack to San Francisco at 7 or Miami at 8.
Support Jack for what he can do for your country, err, team. Just be aware that even the best-laid campaign promises often fail to come to fruition.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Definitely interesting article.

The comparison with Dion Jordan is interesting. I think the way to look at it though isn't that the athleticism is a false prophet, but rather things like will, drive and determination separate the bad from the good, and the good from the great.

Look at Byron Jones. Very athletic and had a good rookie season, and who knows what his ceiling will be. But he seems to have a drive to get better, and he's smart, and those are big deals.

Unfortunately it's really hard to figure out who has those internal traits.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This article is honestly dumb as fuck. The premise is reasonable, that Jack isn't a sure-fire All Pro based on his "athleticism and versatility", but then he muddies it up with these inane comparisons to 3-4 OLB/4-3 DE pass-rushers, which Jack is not. The comparison to Shaq Thompson is apt although I was never a huge fan of Thompson and Jack is bigger, stronger, faster and more fluid in coverage.

I also don't like the over-reliance on stats that people use against him. I mean, you can basically just throw out his junior season since he missed all but probably about 10 quarters, so in his first 2 seasons he had 15 TFL and 1 sack. Definitely not eye-popping and a bit of a cause for concern, but when you consider that he was a true freshman/sophomore and that UCLA loved to drop him into coverage and not just keep him in the tackle box attacking the run, you come to understand why his stats look the way they do.

Now let's look at some of the best 4-3 LB's over the last 10 years:

Luke Kuechly: 23.5 TFL, 2.5 sacks, 4 INT's his first 2 seasons
Patrick Willis: can't find stats for his sophomore season, 21 TFL, 6 sacks, 1 INT over his junior/senior seasons
Bobby Wagner: 19.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks, 2 INT's his junior/senior seasons. Only 9 TFL, 0 sacks, 2 INT's over his first 2 seasons.

Jack is not that far off in terms of TFL/sacks/INT's over his first 2 seasons with 15/1/3 in comparison. He doesn't produce the pure tackle numbers of a guy like Willis or Kuechly, partly because I don't think his instincts are nearly as good as theirs which I have mentioned as one of my primary concerns, but also because he was used in coverage so often.

One component of his stats that nobody talks about are the 18 PD's as a true freshman/sophomore, those are CB/S numbers. I doubt there are many, if any LB's in the last 10-15 years with as many PD's as him as a true freshman/sophomore and it speaks to his coverage ability.

So at the end of the day, anybody who thought this guy was a sure fire Patrick Willis or Kuechly is sorely mistaken, and maybe that's the idea the author had in his head. But that doesn't mean Jack is some paper tiger who doesn't stand out when you watch the games, because he does. Ideally, I would never take a non-pass rushing LB in the top 5-10 picks but the top of this draft is pretty odd and Jack has rare coverage ability for a LB with his size/power, so I understand why a team would.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
My concern are his tackle numbers and the fact that he didn't make plays in pass coverage. I can understand a lack of TFLs but how was this guy not clearing 100 tackles as an every down college LBer? And for someone who is elite in cover he has what, one pick? I guess PD's are good but I honestly have no idea what most college LBers have in terms of that.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
My concern are his tackle numbers and the fact that he didn't make plays in pass coverage. I can understand a lack of TFLs but how was this guy not clearing 100 tackles as an every down college LBer? And for someone who is elite in cover he has what, one pick? I guess PD's are good but I honestly have no idea what most college LBers have in terms of that.
4 INT's in just 2 seasons and some change, pretty solid for a true freshman/sophomore and about 2.5 games as a junior.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
4 INT's in just 2 seasons and some change, pretty solid for a true freshman/sophomore and about 2.5 games as a junior.
The article says only 1 INT in any given year. I also think if you want to include stats from his third year then you have to say he played 3 years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does look like he had 2 picks as a freshman. But still for a pass defense wiz he had 1 pick in his full soohomore campaign?

D

Deuce

This article just makes me wish Jaylon Smith was healthy again. If we took him and moved him back outside, I think he could be Derrick Brooks in this system.

Jiggyfly

Banned
This article is honestly dumb as fuck. The premise is reasonable, that Jack isn't a sure-fire All Pro based on his "athleticism and versatility", but then he muddies it up with these inane comparisons to 3-4 OLB/4-3 DE pass-rushers, which Jack is not. The comparison to Shaq Thompson is apt although I was never a huge fan of Thompson and Jack is bigger, stronger, faster and more fluid in coverage.

I also don't like the over-reliance on stats that people use against him. I mean, you can basically just throw out his junior season since he missed all but probably about 10 quarters, so in his first 2 seasons he had 15 TFL and 1 sack. Definitely not eye-popping and a bit of a cause for concern, but when you consider that he was a true freshman/sophomore and that UCLA loved to drop him into coverage and not just keep him in the tackle box attacking the run, you come to understand why his stats look the way they do.

Now let's look at some of the best 4-3 LB's over the last 10 years:

Luke Kuechly: 23.5 TFL, 2.5 sacks, 4 INT's his first 2 seasons
Patrick Willis: can't find stats for his sophomore season, 21 TFL, 6 sacks, 1 INT over his junior/senior seasons
Bobby Wagner: 19.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks, 2 INT's his junior/senior seasons. Only 9 TFL, 0 sacks, 2 INT's over his first 2 seasons.

Jack is not that far off in terms of TFL/sacks/INT's over his first 2 seasons with 15/1/3 in comparison. He doesn't produce the pure tackle numbers of a guy like Willis or Kuechly, partly because I don't think his instincts are nearly as good as theirs which I have mentioned as one of my primary concerns, but also because he was used in coverage so often.

One component of his stats that nobody talks about are the 18 PD's as a true freshman/sophomore, those are CB/S numbers. I doubt there are many, if any LB's in the last 10-15 years with as many PD's as him as a true freshman/sophomore and it speaks to his coverage ability.

So at the end of the day, anybody who thought this guy was a sure fire Patrick Willis or Kuechly is sorely mistaken, and maybe that's the idea the author had in his head. But that doesn't mean Jack is some paper tiger who doesn't stand out when you watch the games, because he does. Ideally, I would never take a non-pass rushing LB in the top 5-10 picks but the top of this draft is pretty odd and Jack has rare coverage ability for a LB with his size/power, so I understand why a team would.
Agreed, when he brought up She McClellin I knew he was reaching to make a point.

Top Bottom