Archer: Jerry Jones confident in Cowboys' running back situation

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
McFadden's hamstring and Randle screwed things up. When McFadden stopped practicing they decided to go with Joseph Randle who did exactly jack crap (like many of us predicted).

They finally benched Randle and trusted McFadden's legs enough to hand him the football.

Nothing protects you from bad QB play than a solid running game, hence 47% runs despite Romo on the sidelines.

When Romo returns, the running game will protect his shoulder better than any lineman could.

Offensive balance defeats any defense. 4 minute offense keyed by the running game protects your own defense.

Improving the quality of RB makes a quantum leap of a difference. Great RB's can carry a team when the QB is slumping.

The only reason not to run is if the option sucks. The only way it can suck is if we stick with McFadden.
This is why I wouldn't hate taking Elliott at 4, I realize the impact he could have on the entire team. I also don't buy that Garrett will refuse to run it, I think he would rather be pass-first if possible but in 2014 we were clearly a run-first team and I think we would be again if we drafted Elliott at 4 when considering Romo's health.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
but in 2014 we were clearly a run-first team and I think we would be again if we drafted Elliott at 4 when considering Romo's health.
A aberration, just like the 12-4 record was. We went run-heavy to protect Tony's freshly butchered back.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't get the inclination to want to take RB as the first round pick when as recent as last season the mantra was running backs are a dime a dozen and can be had easily in the later rounds. Has something developed that has changed this thought process?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't get the inclination to want to take RB as the first round pick when as recent as last season the mantra was running backs are a dime a dozen and can be had easily in the later rounds. Has something developed that has changed this thought process?
RBs aren't a dime a dozen if you want to establish the run as your identity for your offense.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
A aberration, just like the 12-4 record was. We went run-heavy to protect Tony's freshly butchered back.
And it was a side effect that worked. Were it not for that identity, there is no damn way Romo, in Garrett's offense, would ever sniff 12-4.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
ANd now you do it to protect his freshly butchered, broken twice and fragile collar bone. Especially if you plan on having him any longer than another year or two. I would be surprised if Tony isn't pushing for Elliott himself. He can see what An Emmitt did for Troy, what Murray did for him.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
ANd now you do it to protect his freshly butchered, broken twice and fragile collar bone. Especially if you plan on having him any longer than another year or two. I would be surprised if Tony isn't pushing for Elliott himself. He can see what An Emmitt did for Troy, what Murray did for him.
Pipe dreams. They think chuck and duck trumps run-first any day. They won't be drafting a RB or a QB in the early rounds.
And it was a side effect that worked. Were it not for that identity, there is no damn way Romo, in Garrett's offense, would ever sniff 12-4.
Flukes happen. They could conceivably get another 12-4 if everything fell right and kept doing so. Of course, i wouldn't lay or take any odds on that.

townsend

Banned
This team will never ever run the ball on 3rd and more than a yard. If we don't have a passing game we don't sustain drives.

Also even if Ezekiel Elliot was a franchise level back (he's not) how many teams win Super Bowls with marquee RBs?

Also if you have a beat to shit QB you don't "protect him" by forcing a rookie RB into the starting position. That ends in a whiffed block and another fractured clavicle.

I'd rather invest FA cash into Doug Martin or Lamar Miller than pick a mid first round quality back at a higher position than Tomlinson or Peterson was taken.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
Also if you have a beat to shit QB you don't "protect him" by forcing a rookie RB into the starting position. That ends in a whiffed block and another fractured clavicle.
DING DING DING we have a winnah!

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
RBs aren't a dime a dozen if you want to establish the run as your identity for your offense.
I agree but that sentiment was prevalent with a lot of the posters last year.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I agree but that sentiment was prevalent with a lot of the posters last year.
That sentiment was not present last year.

The sentiment of most was that a number of other backs besides Murray could have success behind this line and that was proven true.

Nobody said backs are a dime a dozen, if it was so prevalent please name the posters that said this.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That sentiment was not present last year.

The sentiment of most was that a number of other backs besides Murray could have success behind this line and that was proven true.

Nobody said backs are a dime a dozen, if it was so prevalent please name the posters that said this.
Mary had a little lamb his fleece was white as snow.

Top Bottom