Moore: What Cowboys did, and didn't, accomplish in NFL draft

townsend

Banned
I didn't realize how well the 2014 defense created turnovers. That's a big deal. Hopefully we get more of that with more pass rush, upgrade at DB, and Sean Lee returning.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The middle of the defense was a problem last year and it was not fixed.
Oh yeah (smacks own head), I was so distracted by the utter lack of attention to RB that I forgot about the ineptitude at DT.

I can see them somehow telling themselves that Nick Hayden and Josh Brent are better cornerstones than anyone available at their pick in the 3rd round. They simply don't get how vital that 1-technique is to everyone around him.

Still, Dallas got better at every level of the defense and should improve from last season.

But it all comes down to making the defense pick their poison offensively, and it's clear opposing defenses are going to stack the run and force Tony Romo to beat them. The NFL has proven that no one can take that pressure and win consistently.

I'm not saying we are going to go 8-8 or worse.

But I don't think we have a shot at HFA like we did last year, which is was actually attainable had this team not overvalued Josh Brent and Darren McFadden (can't write that without shaking my head).

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
They simply don't get how vital that 1-technique is to everyone around him.
Marinelli has never placed an importance on the 1 tech. Frankly, I am shocked that he still has a job in the NFL.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Marinelli has never placed an importance on the 1 tech. Frankly, I am shocked that he still has a job in the NFL.
Cute, but that position matters quite a lot and he was fortunate to have three #1 draft picks on his Superbowl winning DL in 2002. The Bears defense of 2006 was nothing without Tommy Harris and Tank Johnson playing at a high level. I could go on.

Dallas improved its defense, especially if McClain can recreate some of the magic he brought last year, Lee returns to form, and one of Claiborne and Carr decide they should stop sucking.

I just find it amusing how a backup ILB or OT is somehow consistently more talented than the best 1 technique prospect on the Cowboys' board, and year after year the Cowboys defense is Swiss cheese.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cute, but that position matters quite a lot and he was fortunate to have three #1 draft picks on his Superbowl winning DL in 2002. The Bears defense of 2006 was nothing without Tommy Harris and Tank Johnson playing at a high level. I could go on.
They had the fifth best defense in 2012. It features neither Tommy Harris or Tank Johnson. In fact Tommy Harris hasn't been with the Bears since 2010. The last good DT they had was Henry Melton. Who was an UDFA I believe.

shane

DCC 4Life
God, the more the homers try to justify this draft, the more I hate it. Still just so fucking pissed about both the 3rd and 4th round picks I can't even seem to gather the energy to "watch the film".
It's a bummer, but I am happy enough about the pass rush for at least four games this next season to be excited. If they would have gotten a DT in the third and Ajayi in the fourth, it would have been so sweet though. And they probably could have gotten some of the other jabronis they picked in the 5th and 7th rounds too.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If I had it to do over, this is what I would have taken the way the draft went.

3. T.J. Clemmings
4. Grady Jarrett
5. Cameron Artis-Payne
7. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu
7. Tre McBride

Screw the linebackers. If we can't get by with Lee, Hitchens, McClain, Rivers, Brinkley and Gachkar, we made some serious mistakes in free agency.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Because they were shielded last year and we still have the same sorry sack of shit DTs inside and the same safeties.

The middle of the defense was a problem last year and it was not fixed.
We had the 8th ranked rush defense last year. so I don't see how you feel that way.

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned

Dallas improved its defense, especially if McClain can recreate some of the magic he brought last year, Lee returns to form, and one of Claiborne and Carr decide they should stop sucking.

I just find it amusing how a backup ILB or OT is somehow consistently more talented than the best 1 technique prospect on the Cowboys' board, and year after year the Cowboys defense is Swiss cheese.
We were the 8th ranked rush defense how is that swiss cheese?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We had the 8th ranked rush defense last year. so I don't see how feel that way.
You do realize that interior pressure creates a ton of sacks, right? Even if the DT isn't the one making the sack.

Jiggyfly

Banned
You do realize that interior pressure creates a ton of sacks, right? Even if the DT isn't the one making the sack.
You do realize that since we now have depth at DE both Hardy and Mincy can play DT in the nickel.

And that has nothing to do with people acting like we got ran all over last year.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You do realize that since we now have depth at DE both Hardy and Mincy can play DT in the nickel.

And that has nothing to do with people acting like we got ran all over last year.
Even though this is likely the case I would still rather have a natural DT who can shoot gaps and rush the passer in case something happens to Crawford. I'm ok with Marinelli thinking we have enough at the 1 in running situations to hold up, our run D was decent enough last year with arguably less to work with.

Cotton

Staff member

Ohhhhh Mincey...

Regardless, from what I can tell, booze said jack nor shit about our rush defense. I am quite confident he meant DTs to help with pressure. Since we had zero last year, and didn't upgrade any of the interior positions.

Cotton

Staff member
If I had it to do over, this is what I would have taken the way the draft went.

3. T.J. Clemmings
4. Grady Jarrett
5. Cameron Artis-Payne
7. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu
7. Tre McBride

Screw the linebackers. If we can't get by with Lee, Hitchens, McClain, Rivers, Brinkley and Gachkar, we made some serious mistakes in free agency.
I would have taken RB in the third, but the rest I agree with.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even though this is likely the case I would still rather have a natural DT who can shoot gaps and rush the passer in case something happens to Crawford. I'm ok with Marinelli thinking we have enough at the 1 in running situations to hold up, our run D was decent enough last year with arguably less to work with.
Yeah I really like Crawford at the 3 technique spot but I'd like to have some insurance in case he gets injured or tired. It's why I wanted Bennett during the draft.

Dallas just isn't interested in having a 1 technique that does much more then hold the line. I guess in sub packages we might as well just pull our 1 technique and replace him with a more dynamic player like Mincey or Hardy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Other then Ajayi I don't see a RB worth it in the third. The other guys weren't very good. And honestly there has to be some serious issues with Ajayi. Hypotehtically if Ajayi's knee is shot, what RB would you have wanted with our third round pick?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Thought about it, but Clemmings has starting potential, not "swing" and Jarrett will be a better player in my mind. There was not a RB worth it in the 3rd. Ajayi would have been okay in the 4th, but Jarrett presented too much value to me.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thought about it, but Clemmings has starting potential, not "swing" and Jarrett will be a better player in my mind. There was not a RB worth it in the 3rd. Ajayi would have been okay in the 4th, but Jarrett presented too much value to me.
I never liked Clemmings. He looked like shit at the Senior Bowl, which is really why I didn't like him. Maybe he just had a bad week but god he was bad.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We were the 8th ranked rush defense how is that swiss cheese?
They were dead middle in yards per rush and were statistically aided by other teams abandoning the run and trying to keep pace with the offense.

Also, it was much easier to pass against Dallas, so less of a reason to bother running.

The real top 7 teams (sorted by ypc) vs the run forced teams under 4 ypc and each had standout DTs.

If you can make the other team 1-dimensional, your pass defense is much, much easier and doesn't require elite talent to win.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I agree I wanted Davis as well but this idea that we have garbage at DT just does not hold any water.

Top Bottom