Moore: What Cowboys did, and didn't, accomplish in NFL draft

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hate that we skipped out on RB period. For a swing tackle and LB depth.
Yeah but you have to look long term with third and fourth round picks. If we have our future starting RT and future starting MLBer then those picks are exceptional. McClain is on a one year deal. Free is in his 30's and is probably here for 2 seasons at most.

It's not like we drafted a TE with a young probowl TE already in place. These guys were drafted at positions where starters could be departing very soon.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Feh. Teams like the Colts, and Patriots get infinite accolades because they play in shitty divisions. I'm not saying we couldn't do better, but this My Super Sweet 16 style meltdown is beyond juvenile. You'd think we hadn't lucked out and pulled in the top pass rusher with a late 2nd.
You'd think we weren't talking about a team with the best rated passer of all time, the best receiving core, best Oline, excellent coordinators, great Linebackers, and an easy 2015 schedule.

Be disappointed sure. But how can anyone not be optimistic about a 12-4 team with all but one of its best players returning, that had made at least 3 significant upgrades to the defense.
Made essentially the same point earlier but some can only see doom and gloom over one position that wasn't addressed. Remains to be seen how well the current unproven backs will perform. I would like to have seen Murray replaced with someone other than McFadden but he wasn't so time will tell and there is no other option presently.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah but you have to look long term with third and fourth round picks. If we have our future starting RT and future starting MLBer then those picks are exceptional. McClain is on a one year deal. Free is in his 30's and is probably here for 2 seasons at most.

It's not like we drafted a TE with a young probowl TE already in place. These guys were drafted at positions where starters could be departing very soon.
What about the present condition of the RB position, or does that get dismissed simply to try and justify terrible reaches to fill future needs?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What about the present condition of the RB position, or does that get dismissed simply to try and justify terrible reaches to fill future needs?
No, what I'm saying is you shouldn't be talking about need that late in the draft. You don't pick a guy in the fifth round because you need a starter at that position. It's a bad draft strategy.

The difference is the Cowboys clearly like their RBs on the roster a lot more then you do. Otherwise they would have taken care of that need early in the draft and not waited until the late third/fourth round. Our offensive line is the best in football. Have a little faith in them. Not to mention as much as Randle is an idiot that dude had some really impressive runs last year. I know we all are supposed to hate him but he is more talented than people give credit on here.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
there were running backs in the fifth round that could have been starters for us. So the round we were in is irrelevant. If the player is an upgrade then he is an upgrade.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
No, what I'm saying is you shouldn't be talking about need that late in the draft. You don't pick a guy in the fifth round because you need a starter at that position. It's a bad draft strategy.
Don't move the goalposts. I have been talking about our 3rd and 4th round picks this whole time, and you know it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't move the goalposts. I have been talking about our 3rd and 4th round picks this whole time, and you know it.
Maybe read the rest of my post then when I specifically point out late third/fourth.

Thanks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
there were running backs in the fifth round that could have been starters for us. So the round we were in is irrelevant. If the player is an upgrade then he is an upgrade.
It's not about upgrade. It's about the talent of the player you're drafting. Now if you think the guys we drafted suck compared to the RB's available I at least agree with your argument.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Be disappointed sure. But how can anyone not be optimistic about a 12-4 team with all but one of its best players returning, that had made at least 3 significant upgrades to the defense.
I'm optimistic, though not as much as I would have been had we not tried to replace the NFL's OOY with Darren McFadden.

I think it's good that we are probably not planning on giving our #1 back 400 carries like last year, but the quality of that player has seriously declined.

Don't think for a second that we're even in that game needing "more firepower" against Aaron Rodgers without Demarco Murray. Without him we're probably 6-10 with Romo injured in 2014 and #9 is released in February 2015 to avoid half his salary guaranteeing.

townsend

Banned
I'm optimistic, though not as much as I would have been had we not tried to replace the NFL's OOY with Darren McFadden.

I think it's good that we are probably not planning on giving our #1 back 400 carries like last year, but the quality of that player has seriously declined.

Don't think for a second that we're even in that game needing "more firepower" against Aaron Rodgers without Demarco Murray. Without him we're probably 6-10 with Romo injured in 2014 and #9 is released in February 2015 to avoid half his salary guaranteeing.
Possibly. I definitely thought Romo was through after 2013. Murray's performances in the first half of the season was lights out too. That being said. No Murray, doesn't mean no running back (necessarily). Who's to say Randle would have been hopeless if Murray had gone down? His long run in Seattle was one of the most crucial plays of the game. I think we would have been 8-8 again without a prominent rushing attack.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think we would have been 8-8 again without a prominent rushing attack.
Get ready for it because it's coming.

I don't think this defense will be able to take up the slack to at least duplicate 12-4.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
“We tried not to push for a particular need,” executive vice president Stephen Jones said. “We kind of let the draft come to us
I'm all in favor of not pushing or reaching for a need. But how can he justify filling the need of a backup OT in the 3rd with a player projected in the 5th-6th? If Chaz Green truly was the BPA at the time then it may be the first time in 20 years everybody was wrong except Dallas.

townsend

Banned
Get ready for it because it's coming.

I don't think this defense will be able to take up the slack to at least duplicate 12-4.
At this point I'd guess we go 10-6. We not only have an upgraded defense, we have a weak ass schedule.

townsend

Banned
We also don't need huge gashes to play ball control. We managed to have a nice time of possession with Troy Hambrick, Michael Wiley, and Aveion Cason behind a line 1/2 as good as our current one.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Murray found ways to make game-changing plays despite 8-man fronts. They could stack the line, and he'd still break a huge run. Nothing is more demoralizing than that. He wasn't perfect because of his fumbles, but he was damned close.

Randle simply didn't warrant the defense's attention the way Murray does. On his run vs Seattle, I don't think he was touched until 30 yards downfield. That doesn't sound like a guy who was the focus of the defense.

Now he will gain a lot more attention, because D-Mac might be even be less capable than Randle.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Because they were shielded last year and we still have the same sorry sack of shit DTs inside and the same safeties.

The middle of the defense was a problem last year and it was not fixed.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Now he will gain a lot more attention, because D-Mac might be even be less capable than Randle.
It will become very evident in a hurry how awful McFadden is.

I hate we have to find out the hard way and have nobody to turn to.

I expected him to start, suck and eventually we turn to the rookie.

Not now.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
It will become very evident in a hurry how awful McFadden is.

I hate we have to find out the hard way and have nobody to turn to.

I expected him to start, suck and eventually we turn to the rookie.

Not now.
It could still happen.

Top Bottom