Gregory highlights.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Start at the 11 minute mark. Good stuff.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This guy could potentially make our whole draft despite whatever else happens with the rest of our prospects, his ceiling is that high.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I was not a great fan of Gregory in this system because I thought he was way to lite to hold up but watching these videos I see that he plays with great leverage and uses his hands well,

The Jason Taylor references are apt.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
Beast. Cannot fricking believe we got this guy in the second round. Hopeful that he can keep his head on straight, at least through his rookie contract. Let's get a few great years out of him, then let him go sign for big money elsewhere and fall into a pit of drugs and hookers if that's what he wants to do.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I was not a great fan of Gregory in this system because I thought he was way to lite to hold up but watching these videos I see that he plays with great leverage and uses his hands well
Same. I still worry plenty about his mental state and ability to stay focused/out of trouble as well. Requesting a support system to keep himself in line is admirable and all but it is still not good when a player simply can not trust himself and needs babysitters. Could work out fine but has at least as great a chance to fail as it does to succeed. That kind of pass rushing ability does not grow on trees and he has a chance to be a real difference maker though. Well worth the risk at #60.

The Jason Taylor references are apt.
When I heard Marinelli comp him to Simeon Rice I drooled a little bit.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Same. I still worry plenty about his mental state and ability to stay focused/out of trouble as well. Requesting a support system to keep himself in line is admirable and all but it is still not good when a player simply can not trust himself and needs babysitters. Could work out fine but has at least as great a chance to fail as it does to succeed. That kind of pass rushing ability does not grow on trees and he has a chance to be a real difference maker though. Well worth the risk at #60.

When I heard Marinelli comp him to Simeon Rice I drooled a little bit.
I can see a guy wanting/needing a support structure because a lot of players his age are still hanging out with the wrong crowd, if he wants to distance himself from that scene and act like an adult, I can appreciate the willingness to change.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I can see a guy wanting/needing a support structure because a lot of players his age are still hanging out with the wrong crowd, if he wants to distance himself from that scene and act like an adult, I can appreciate the willingness to change.
Sure, his willingness is a good sign but it sounds like he is bipolar, suffers from anxiety, relies heavily on weed, etc., so he is always going to be a ticking time bomb.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sure, his willingness is a good sign but it sounds like he is bipolar, suffers from anxiety, relies heavily on weed, etc., so he is always going to be a ticking time bomb.
The guy isn't a dumbass so I'd disagree. Sounds like he has some anxiety but not much more. There are other ways to deal with anxiety then weed. Once he figures it out he'll be fine.

I remember when Dez Bryant was a ticking time bomb, or at least that's what Booze told everyone. Good times.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
The guy isn't a dumbass so I'd disagree. Sounds like he has some anxiety but not much more. There are other ways to deal with anxiety then weed. Once he figures it out he'll be fine.

I remember when Dez Bryant was a ticking time bomb, or at least that's what Booze told everyone. Good times.
He is also bipolar. And Dez Bryant is a great player but he has been heavily babysat from day 1. It has worked out fine in his case and it may work out fine in Gregory's case but I think you are underselling the depth of this guy's issues. If it were simply just a little anxiety and a failed drug test for weed he would not have fallen to #60 in the draft.

Again, I applaud the move to draft him there. You can not pass up the opportunity to get that kind of pass rush potential at that point in the draft, but let's not downplay it to the point that he isn't a fairly significant risk. Just because he doesn't sound like a dumbass when he speaks doesn't mean he won't act like a dumbass. The hope is obviously that he realizes he can't screw this up and stays in line. He might. He might not. That's all I'm saying.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He is also bipolar.
I guess I missed that medical diagnosis somewhere. Do you have the article for that?

He hasn't had any of the crazy episodes that you generally associate with Bipolar disorder.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I guess I missed that medical diagnosis somewhere. Do you have the article for that?

He hasn't had any of the crazy episodes that you generally associate with Bipolar disorder.
I guess it hasn't gotten past the "source said" phase, at least in the media. Reports are the NFL execs "think there are mental health issues" and that "weed is the tip of the iceberg". You don't have to believe it, but that is what is being reported. These teams have investigated the kid, interviewed him (well, if he bothered to show up), etc. You really think a top 10 talent drops to #60 merely because of some issues with weed and nothing else?

It could work out fine. I sure as hell hope it does. But you can't just sit there and say that he just needs to learn to deal with a little anxiety and he'll be fine. Obviously most NFL teams do not agree.

Last edited:

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
You really think a top 10 talent drops to #60 merely because of some issues with weed and nothing else?
I wouldn't think so. But then again, I'd also think that if teams are considering a top ten talent, they'd look in to the possibility of him having a bipolar disorder, too. Have him medically/mentally evaluated, or whatever.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess it hasn't gotten past the "source said" phase, at least in the media. Reports are the NFL execs "think there are mental health issues" and that "weed is the tip of the iceberg". You don't have to believe it, but that is what is being reported. These teams have investigated the kid, interviewed him (well, if he bothered to show up), etc. You really think a top 10 talent drops to #60 merely because of some issues with weed and nothing else?

It could work out fine. I sure as hell hope it does. But you can't just sit there and say that he just needs to learn to deal with a little anxiety and he'll be fine. Obviously most NFL teams do not agree.
I guess if you're going to say the guy is Bipolar I'd need more evidence then just pure speculation. I mean we've seen players with bipolar disorder. They are running in the streets in their underwear with a knife when they are off their meds. Do you have any examples of crazy behavior like this? I've seen none. In fact I believe Gregory explicitly denied having any diagnosed mental disorder such as that.

I think he smoked a lot of weed in college. Was almost kicked off the Nebraska football team for it and then tested positive at the combine. Add to that he blew off some teams for predraft visits and weighed in much lighter (235) then people thought he would. All of that is why he fell to the second. I don't know that any of that stuff makes him a ticking time bomb though.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I guess if you're going to say the guy is Bipolar I'd need more evidence then just pure speculation. I mean we've seen players with bipolar disorder. They are running in the streets in their underwear with a knife when they are off their meds. Do you have any examples of crazy behavior like this? I've seen none. In fact I believe Gregory explicitly denied having any diagnosed mental disorder such as that.

I think he smoked a lot of weed in college. Was almost kicked off the Nebraska football team for it and then tested positive at the combine. Add to that he blew off some teams for predraft visits and weighed in much lighter (235) then people thought he would. All of that is why he fell to the second. I don't know that any of that stuff makes him a ticking time bomb though.
If that's what you want to believe that's fine. I hope you're right. But I think it is probably wishful thinking because you are a Cowboys fan.

I'm going to pay attention to the fact that he fell to #60 and reports are that NFL organizations that did their work on/interviewed the guy are suggesting that he has mental issues that they feel have a strong chance of preventing him from being a successful, long-term NFL player.

Either way it's worth the risk, IMO, but I will not just pretend that this is essentially a non-issue and assume that everything is going to work out fine.

Top Bottom