Cowboys sign OT La'el Collins

townsend

Banned
So if Collins moves out to RT next year, does that mean we have to go fish for a new guard, or do we sign Leary long term anyway?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The problem is I remember some games where Leary was just blowing people off the ball. He has his mental lapses but physically he was a beast at times last year. I think he slowed down a little as the season went on but man early on he looked like he might be a borderline probowl player.
That's my take.

Inconsistent and wore down as the season went on.

That being said he was still a revelation compared to what we had at the position previous years.... he was just not on the same level as Martin, Smith and Frederick.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
From that Giants message board thread:

Imagine if someone told you before the draft that Dallas would land Byron Jones, Randy Gregory, and La'el Collins without even touching future picks.
:lol

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Man this is one hell of a get. I wish he played DT instead of OT, but fuck it. We're stacked with OL for the next 2 years at a minimum. There are worse problems to be sure. Next year I think we need to concentrate on DL, QB, RB. Hopefully can set us up to be a perennial power.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Where the hell are you getting this from? He was projected 15-25 almost all year pre-draft, and then some had him possibly going top 10 right before the crap happened.
Mayock said he was the best tackle in the draft. Baldinger said either the Redskins or Giants probably would have taken him.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Mayock said he was the best tackle in the draft. Baldinger said either the Redskins or Giants probably would have taken him.
Whether or not he's going to be another Zack Martin, you have to admit this isn't some borderline first rounder.

This is a top 10, top 15, walk-in-and-be-instant-starter, Pro Bowl Caliber type lineman.

How can you not be pumped? And how can you not say he's not taking over for Free or Leary very soon?

D

Deuce

This is like that stupid movie Draft Day where Costner made a bunch of unrealistic deals to get multiple top 10 picks.

Jerry did the same thing while doing a 1/10th of the work. :towel

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Whether or not he's going to be another Zack Martin, you have to admit this isn't some borderline first rounder.

This is a top 10, top 15, walk-in-and-be-instant-starter, Pro Bowl Caliber type lineman.

How can you not be pumped? And how can you not say he's not taking over for Free or Leary very soon?
Yep. Just absolutely amazing circumstances.

We picked a player in the 1st round, and he's probably our 3rd best rookie. Amazing.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
So if Collins moves out to RT next year, does that mean we have to go fish for a new guard, or do we sign Leary long term anyway?
The beast known as Chaz Green will become known as the final brick in the wall.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Okay, bitches. Declare success and take back all that fucking complaining
about how this was such a shitty draft after 27 and 60.
And no RB. Fuck a bunch of that. This is a confirmed kill.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Poor Byron Jones.

He was our first round pick and he's only getting the third most attention of any player we've acquired in the last week.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Poor Byron Jones.

He was our first round pick and he's only getting the third most attention of any player we've acquired in the last week.
Say that when all 3 have signed those rookie contracts and gotten that fat assed signing bonuses.
We'll see who's dick is biggest then.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Not just this, but he can't even market himself as a LT free agent in three years.

LT is occupied in Dallas, now and for the foreseeable future.

At least he has a shot at the position elsewhere.

Anywhere he goes today will be same money and same terms, so he has to bank everything on his next contract.

By signing with Dallas today, he's automatically costing himself a shot at more guaranteed millions in a few years.
What if he plays LG? Would playing OG and getting potentially paid like Carl Nicks/Jahri Evans/Logan Mankins really suck? They don't get top LT money, but an All Pro guard can easily make huge cash.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
So the next time there's a franchise level QB available at the top of the draft, have we secured the talent on this team so that it's reasonable to trade up for one? We've established a team for the future now, looking into post Romo is a must.
We'll have to murder someone he knows and get him as an UDFA.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Say that when all 3 have signed those rookie contracts and gotten that fat assed signing bonuses.
We'll see who's dick is biggest then.
I'm not looking at their dicks.

dallas0593

Brand New Member
Not for nothin but after watching the press conference about his signing I have a new found respect for Jerry Jones. I used to hate on him more then any player or coach for the cowboys but after watching him at that press conference I see him in a different light. Not just some idiot rambling on about himself and the cowboys and not making any sense while doing it, but someone who actually cares about his players, cares about the person not just a football player.

This kid is going to be something special, you can see it in his eyes and the way he talks, he is gonna prove it with his play and the only person to really thank is Jerry Jones. Never thought I would hear those words come out of my mouth but it is the truth. I see JJ in a different light after this move.

p1_

DCC 4Life
There will come a day when this line will need to be
paid. I will be bummed when our line gets "Murrayed"
By the salary cap.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I see a lot of talk about Collins playing the right tackle spot or taking over for Leary, but I could see Martin kicking out to right tackle now and Collins settling in right between Fred and Zach. Smith, Leary, Fred, Collins, Martin would be a nice line. Free, Bernardo (I can't spell), and Chaz Green as the back ups. We could carry 8 O-lineman this season and be set.

I'm not a big fan of separating Fred and Zach, they work very well together, but this could be a possibility.

Top Bottom